Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In Wyoming you can license and insure ATV/UTV's and drive them on the road just like a car/truck. There are plenty around these parts and they don't seem to be a problem. They must have proper lighting and turn signals to be legal.

GB2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One of the worst inventions in the last 20 years are those [bleep] sxs's.

MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Yeah. They'll never catch on.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They're not road legal in Mississippi but lots of people ride them on rural roads and I've never known the cops to say anything about it. As far as I'm concerned it's another area where we don't need more rules or laws.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Public roads don't bother me as much as some yahoo riding one off trail thru my elk hunting area . Mostly around here, it is some kids joy riding. Every once in awhile I have to visit the parents and ask them to curtail the speeding.

It is illegal here and if the conversation gets hot, I explain they can curtail the speeding and no one will mind or we will get the sheriff involved and stop it completely. I usually works out.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/09/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Yeah, they really fup the ATV trails up. They have higher axles, bigger diameter wheels and tires, so dig the mud ruts so deep it hangs up ATVs and we have to just start a new track alongside the old one. Does wonders for run-off and trail aesthetics. But what the hell, in a million years no one will note the difference....

There are ATV scars on the Arctic tundra that will last for centuries, UTV's would be worse, but there's not many of those - at least where I have been.

That said, between snow machine riding, ATV riding, and UTV riding, Honey Halflab knows what is best, and wants me to buy her her own UTV. You would think she would have learned after i bought her a Dachshund when she asked for a dog of her own.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

Yeah. They'll never catch on.

LOL. One of each is best. Lack of established trail/roads points to ATV. Where they will fit, today’s SxS machines are really useful. I only have a few neighbors, but I see them on their “buggies” more than their vehicles. Most have cattle, run hog traps, hunt local land, etc.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I mentioned before that we have a 50" SXS, a Polaris RZR. It has the same footprint as most larger ATV's and has the same tire sizes. We have 100's of miles of ATV trails on BLM and Nat forest land. They're closed to wider than 50" and most have some kind of barricade to prevent wider ones from getting through. Sometimes they use heavy steel posts. Sometimes they'll put VW sized rocks 52" apart, just barely wide enough for us to ooze through. There have been many times that I've wished for a larger UTV but this gives us access to all those miles of trails where we seldom see anyone else. In the meantime, the Jeep roads are being beaten down by the 60"+ UTV's.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was driving west on a state highway, I went by a fourwheeler, at a stop sign, the first time I looked in the rearview mirror he was on my tail, and I'm doing 60mph!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When mine gets over 40 on a paved road, it starts getting squirrely.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is a guy named Andrew Camarata on Youtube who converted a Kawasaki SxS to street legal and, IIRC, registered it in Montana even though he lives in New York.

A lot of farmers around here use them to get around on both gravel and paved roads when they are checking on cattle or irrigation systems.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I just bought a 2023 Rincon and was planning on getting it street legal with all the necessary parts and documentation. I live in a small town and you could get away with a little street use if you don’t act reckless but you won’t keep getting away with it. My thinking was that I could use it to go pick up something small from the store or just go for a drive as that could be fun and it could save a small amount of wear and tear to my truck. The issue I found is they are not really fun on the pavement. They are loud with the tires and not as smooth and balanced as I like. Off road or on the dirt roads, fine since they’re not the smoothest anyway. I decided not to do it and buy a motorcycle down the road.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Had to laugh the other day, was sitting in a strip center parking lot and a loud 4 wheeler(not even SXS) came up to a car, made the drug delivery, chatted a bit and left out!
Had a plate so I guess it was "street legal".

This appeared to be delivery to dealer and the delivery package was small so it would be interesting as to contents.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaintedDesert
I just bought a 2023 Rincon and was planning on getting it street legal with all the necessary parts and documentation. I live in a small town and you could get away with a little street use if you don’t act reckless but you won’t keep getting away with it. My thinking was that I could use it to go pick up something small from the store or just go for a drive as that could be fun and it could save a small amount of wear and tear to my truck. The issue I found is they are not really fun on the pavement. They are loud with the tires and not as smooth and balanced as I like. Off road or on the dirt roads, fine since they’re not the smoothest anyway. I decided not to do it and buy a motorcycle down the road.

It's hard to beat a small dual sport for that duty. It's amazing the number of cool places you'll find once you get off the beaten path on 2 wheels.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hate to have to ride one on the pavement for a short distance. Wears the tires to fast , try to stay on the shoulder as much as possible

Last edited by 1beaver_shooter; 04/23/23.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I had dot tires on my little Yamaha Rhino, and drove it all over on the streets here in N Idaho (there legal here)
It was handy on the ranch, but underpowered and fairly slow. Just sold it, looking for a new Honda that has a real transmission instead of rubber band drive.
It’s nothing to go to a little breakfast joint and see 4 horses, a tractor and a bunch of SxS’s and quads in the parking lot, or at the fuel station next door. It’s a pretty laid back atmosphere here.

“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTLE ONE FIRST”
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just for the record - the orange triangle low speed vehicle sign (which I've NEVER seen on a 4-wheeler) is required for vehicles moving less than some speed dictated by the state. Here in Idaho it's 35 mph which is probably fairly standard.
If you driving a LSV on a public road, you must have a valid drivers license.
And you must have the same minimum liability insurance as required for regular vehicles. I suspect the insurance is regularly ignored but if a cop pulls you over for some reason, I'll bet he won't ignore it.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pretty much the same in SD Rock Chuck atv has to be street legal mirrors,horn, brake light to be plated. Licensed driver and insured. Bought mine for trail work but trails come out on roads...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They not legal here on roads but we cheated last weekend turkey hunting. Highway Patrol friend said nothing would happen in Mendicino or Lake counties as the officer would probably stop you to see how your doing. In a county like San Francisco you would probably get at least 5 months in the slammer

Last edited by coyote268; 05/01/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a deputy at the foot of my driveway the other day due to a hunting accident in the adjoining wildlife refuge (on public road). My neighbor pulled in to chat with him while in his Polaris Ranger, then turned around and drove home. I don't think the local LE guys view it as a serious problem when it's not out on the 55mph+ highways (or kids doing stupid stunts at high speeds).

Now with even more aplomb
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.