Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My grandson is engaged to a girl who waitresses in a nice restaurant. For fun a couple of nights ago he left her a big tip--- and somebody stole it.

The clientele is mostly upscale retired boomers, from a community of mostly the same with some loggers and solid blue collar people. I was kind of shocked by the theft. He didn’t say but I think he left her $100. They don’t know if the place is all videoed, but are going to ask the manager about it.

I’d never heard of tips being stolen but the girl says that it is fairly common. I’m going to be a lot more careful about leaving tips on the table from now on.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Likely by another of the waitstaff. Busboy perhaps?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Two nights ago I gave a $ $26 tip on a check of $114. One Ben Franklin and two twenties. I handed the bill and cash straight to the waitress.

I'm assuming it was a fellow waitress who stole your grandson's tip.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was at a nice place, and though some of changing tips with another table, but that would have been stealing from the other folks.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always put the tip in my wait person’s hand.

Especially at my mexican dive. That place is fulla shîtbirds and shady dirtbags like blackheart and other white trash.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is exactly why I never leave a cash tip, only CC. I've observed customers slyly scooping up tips from other tables on their way out, also. Leaving a Benjamin behind is just asking for it to be stolen.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

My thought as well. She said that they have fired one waitress and one busboy in the past year for stealing tips.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

Especially at my mexican dive. That place is fulla shîtbirds and shady dirtbags like blackheart and other white trash.

truf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okanagan;
Good morning my friend, I trust that you and your wonderful family are well and had a blessed Christmas and New Year thus far.

Well other than the tip being purloined that is.

We've got a couple nieces who were servers and then managers of eating and drinking establishments, our youngest daughter was a server for one summer during university and then my wife helped do the books for a local restaurant that was "the hot spot" in Penticton for a wee bit. It was one of her boss' sons who ran it out of a building they owned so it fell under the umbrella of things she "took care of" financially speaking for them.

All that to say then, it's not an industry I'd encourage anyone to stay in any longer than absolutely necessary. Yes of course its not entirely populated with people who are entirely bad or anything of the sort, but they do have their fair share of less than desirable incidents, theft of tips being one of the better things honestly.

For sure though if you want the tip to go to an individual, then hand them cash. If you want the tip to be distributed among the bus, kitchen and wait staff, put it on the credit card - as a general rule.

All the very best to you all in 2023.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That is exactly why I never leave a cash tip, only CC. I've observed customers slyly scooping up tips from other tables on their way out, also. Leaving a Benjamin behind is just asking for it to be stolen.

I have two daughters who are servers. They get to keep cash tips, CC tips get split between cooks, dishwashers, and servers.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only sure way to make sure your server gets it. You put the cash in their hand. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by slumlord

- I can see why you eat there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your grandson left a hundred cash on a table unattended in a restaurant?

That’s called a life lesson.

Cash, tips, food joints, splits, never ending struggle to keep things fair and honest,

Never has been never will be.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's why I don't mind if my generous CC tips get shared; they ALL helped in serving me, one way or another.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After half a lifetime managing and owning restaurants, I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. I myself tip well, in cash, and put it only in the hand of my server.

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know of an incident where a friend witnessed the theft of tips. The friend offered to break the thief's arm if he didn't put the money back. The thief complied.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
P Weed: That was a great cut on the well deserving scumwad!
Keep'em coming!
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Did you call the thieving customer, on the theft. Or just ignore it ?

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I worked as a busboy age 14-16 at a busy place along interstate.

More than a few times, the waitress would ask me if I saw any tips. Pretty much accusing me of stealing in a nice way. I never stole a nickel. Even had one check the tub after picking up the dirty dishes, to make sure I did not wipe up the change! LOL

Some could not accept the fact, they either did poor service, or had a tight wad customer.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yep

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.