-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is an interesting movie about Hollywood and the early days of movies, from the late silent movies into the early period of the "talkies." It stars Brad Pitt in a memorable performance as a star of the silents, with the subsequent problems of so many silent stars who could not adapt to "talking pictures."

It also shows the debauchery of Hollywood at that time and the wild parties and relationships of the people involved in making motion pictures. My great uncle and great aunt were silent screen stars and were in Hollywood making "flicks" at the time Babylon represents. Also, as I am "in The Business," I've heard tales of the early days from people who were there that are astounding. Babylon depicts that era to a "T."

Lots of coarse language/dialogue, so if that offends you, do not attend. If you're interested in movies, this one is a "gotta see it." smile

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. Might be worth a look.
I remember seeing a movie years ago about Charlie Chaplin and his inability to adapt

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the review, LW!

Can you tell us who your great uncle and aunt were?

Here's the Babylon Trailer.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Thanks for the review, LW!

Can you tell us who your great uncle and aunt were? ...

Charles "Hurricane Hutch" Hutchison and Edith Thornton Hutchison.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's way cool!

You come by the business with a long history attached. smile

Montgomery Clift was my grandmother's cousin. That's about the only relative I have in the business.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Montgomery Clift was a very gifted actor. It's too bad he died so young.

L.W.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rockinbbar, here is a picture from around 1928 Of Hutch and his good friend, John Barrymore. They are standing in the driveway of Hutch's and Edith's home in the Hollywood Hills above Sunset Blvd.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thought you might find it interesting.

L.W.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The three hour run time has been putting me off but I finally watched it last night. It was definitely entertaining but I'm glad I watched it on a streaming channel so I could get up and take a break in the middle.

Good performances all around, Margot Robbie does crazy self-destructive about as well as anybody these days and better than most.

Great soundtrack!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Biggest takeaway I got from this movie is that drugs are baaaaaad for you.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Montgomery Clift was a very gifted actor. It's too bad he died so young.

L.W.
Always seemed a bit hammy and kind of a worm so I didn't like him most times. I do think that paid off for him as Rudolph Peterson in Judgment in Nurenburg- and he was okay in the Midfits which iis a hard movie to ruin. (As in I liked it)

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We tried to watch it last night, Not saying it was bad or good as we quit it after about about an hour. My wife described it as bizarre. Can't disagree with that but this morning she said let's pick it up where we left off and see how it goes. Ok with me, there's enough crazy stuff going on to keep you interested. IMO if they were going after bizarre they got it right but so far it was like they were more interested in that then a coherent story. Got to say that was a hell of a party.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tried another hour, saw the great vomit scene and gave up on it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (batch, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 13 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.