Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Merlot looks quite satisfied with himself. Didn’t see Higgy at first, against the backdrop of the truck. Glad the boys got some work in.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh its all fun, whether alone or with a group of friends

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Merlot looks quite satisfied with himself. Didn’t see Higgy at first, against the backdrop of the truck. Glad the boys got some work in.

The season is over and Merlot is in fighting condition....Crossed path with a guy and a Brit and he looked at The Hyg ripping up some cover and said something along the line of: "What kind of Dog is that? I replied English Cocker and he said, "He can't keep that up." I replied, well he is into two hours and he hasn't quit yet. The guy just smiled and kept watching him.

Last edited by battue; 01/02/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s all good. Our group of old sots needs the next eight months to recoup, rehab, and retool (more after market parts) before the next season comes, if we are in fact, given it.

It looks as this winter might be a challenging one for the birds. The old Farmers Almanac predicted a cold but dry winter. To this point, it’s been cold, but anything but dry.

This is the time of the year, the birds need the cover. The best being CRP, shelter belts, grassed in line fences, and the like. Again, there are conflicting interests as to land use, but cover determines survival.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We didn't need this last snow, from a survive the winter perspective. We might have needed it from a survive the summer angle however. One never knows. The next 30 days will tell the story, and the next two weeks look pretty darn good once this clears out.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do you do in the “off-season” BK?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Work and fish

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by dassa
Few…very few.
I asked because the states I've hunted only allow roosters, even when they supplement with released birds. Maybe they only release roosters. Idk.

Either way, looks like a fun day.
'

They have one additional stocking scheduled....I suspect it will be a Hen Pallooza.

Pa at one time had great Wild Pheasant hunting and even better Ruffed Grouse hunting. The GC has managed to screw up both. Along with becoming more anti-rifle---over 45% of the Bucks are killed with sticks before the two week rifle season arrives----with extended bow seasons and allowing cross bows. The GC much prefers the silent killers. In addition to being the husbandry keeper of Eagles and all Raptors. Then they release Fishers which may even be worse for other small game animals.

The Pa GC is increasingly becoming a left wing anti-hunting arm of the liberal Pa politicians. Not even close to their historic roots of being a Game Commission for hunters.

And while QDM has improved the quality of Bucks we kill, the dirty side of the coin is the majority of private land being posted. Most kids today just can't get in the car and go hunt without it being a hassle. And the adults have themselves to blame for that. But hey, that Buck is on my little piece of this earth and I'm going to do my best to not let you hunt it. Along with great Upland Bird hunting, the Pa rifle Deer hunting tradition is a thing of the past. After the first day most are done. With the exception of going out and sitting in a tree after work.

Long way to say Upland Bird hunting in Pa isn't even close to what it used to be.

The quail are gone too.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The anti trapping crowd killed more Wildlife in the last 30 years than hunters. But they are too stupid to figure it out.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Few…very few.

Harry, sure you remember the large wild pheasant populations that existed in PA in the 70’s. We hunted wild birds in Berks, Lehigh and Union counties with great success. A long time ago, but it just all went away.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Few…very few.

Harry, sure you remember the large wild pheasant populations that existed in PA in the 70’s. We hunted wild birds in Berks, Lehigh and Union counties with great success. A long time ago, but it just all went away.

Ted,

We mostly hunted Westmoreland and Washington Counties.

Some in today’s GC don’t believe we had a significant Wild Pheasant population. Not sure what they considered significant, but we could put up 20 plus Birds a day.

Pheasants went first and then the Grouse….and they watched it happen and did nothing. They were told Grouse were disappearing and replied it was habitat. Then they were led by the hand into great covers that barely had a few Birds.

But they can be the voice for the Eagles. Hawks and Owls.

Last edited by battue; 10/03/23.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The anti trapping crowd killed more Wildlife in the last 30 years than hunters. But they are too stupid to figure it out.

You can say that again!!! I trap HEAVY locally here for all kinds of nest predators including coon, possum, fox and now coyote and often feel like I am looked down at by even "hardcore" hunters. I have personally seen a huge difference here on my smaller property in the 12 years Ive been here. When I got the place a rabbit was a rare sight, now they are very common. A neighbor releases 50 or so pheasants yearly in the fall for his family and dogs to get after around the holidays and there have been more and more surviving through the years to where pheasants can be heard and sometimes seen year round. Round figure in these 12 years I have trapped or hunted at least 200 coon, 75 fox, 50 possums and 8 coyotes on 115 acres combined between the neighbors and mine.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Good job!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
578 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.