Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just picked up a really nice, supposed to be originally from CMP, parkerized Smith-Corona 03A3 that I got off Gunbroker. The barrel marking is Oct. 1943. The bore is bright with sharp four groove rifling. The straight grain walnut stock is the non pistol grip model with hardly a mark on it. It's stamped OG so I believe it's safe to say it's an Ogden Arsenal replacement.

This is the third O3A3 I've owned. I paid $40 for the first one in 1970, like new that still had cosmoline on it. They cost a lot more now. I probably paid too much for this one but I saw several that had considerably higher starting prices that didn't look any better if as good as this one does.

I've owned a couple of the older 03 Springfields; blued, no stamped parts with the cool rear sight and finger groove stock. No question, up close, they're a better looking rifle IMO but the 03A3 receiver mounted "peep" sight make is a lot easier for me and probably a lot of shooters to hit what we're shooting at.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Springfields are classic.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You never pay too much. Just sometimes you might buy a bit too early....especially with them.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good score.

The next time you're vexed by the '03 sights, simply open up the peep hole in the rear sight a bit to be able to see through it better, and swap out the front sight blade for a .1" wide "Marine Corps" sight blade. Makes a world of difference. Don't worry about "originality" by doing so, it's probably already had most of its parts replaced along the line anyway. (Or use replacement sight parts and save the originals for posterity.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Congrats on the new baby! smile My DCM 03A3 through American Rifleman ad in late '60, "Sevicable" as $20. + few bucks for Railway Express shipping. Came from Redstone Arsenal! Long gone... Sadly! I have another small gunshop find a couple of decades ago & even then maybe $400! but decent rearsenal most probably. Interesting green tinge to park finish but entire gun such and for what it is, about minty!
Those simple receiver sights sooooo much better than the '03 ladder. Damn! smile
Best!
John

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an 03A3 chambered in a 7mm Mauser. That is my "go to " hunting rifle. Just the sound of cycling the bolt open and closed gives me a hard on smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wish I'd thought of the sight modification you described back when I had an older 03. I'd probably still have it. Don't think I can afford/justify buying a good one at today's prices.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a couple "sporterized" 03's, one is a lightweight build with a synthetic stock and light contour .30-06 barrel. The most interesting one I have picked up is a Sedgley 03 in .257 Roberts...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ram_Rod
I have an 03A3 chambered in a 7mm Mauser. That is my "go to " hunting rifle. Just the sound of cycling the bolt open and closed gives me a hard on smile
That gives a whole new meaning to the word hoplophile.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iskra
Congrats on the new baby! smile My DCM 03A3 through American Rifleman ad in late '60, "Sevicable" as $20. + few bucks for Railway Express shipping. Came from Redstone Arsenal! Long gone... Sadly! I have another small gunshop find a couple of decades ago & even then maybe $400! but decent rearsenal most probably. Interesting green tinge to park finish but entire gun such and for what it is, about minty!
Those simple receiver sights sooooo much better than the '03 ladder. Damn! smile
Best!
John
Same AR purchase thru DCM my dad made in 1960, but he picked up a Smith Corona and a Remington. He sporterized the SC for HIS hunting rifle and left the Remington in the Cosmoline wax wrapper!!!

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My Old Man bought his A3 through the DCM in the early 60's concurrently with his buddy who did the same. Both with the intention of "sporterizing" them. Dad's A3 was a Remington which immediately got the Fajen stock treatment, his buddy received an absolutely mint 03A4 sniper rifle, complete with scope rings. Complete luck of the draw. Kenny was cock-a-hoop because that meant he didn't have to have the bolt handle bent or drill and tap it for scope mounting before giving it the Fajen stock treatment....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just sold my stock 03-A4 with scope for over $5000

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Party at Mickey's house! I'll bring the champagne!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Party at Mickey's house! I'll bring the champagne!
Trying to make up for everything lost in stock market

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
My Old Man bought his A3 through the DCM in the early 60's concurrently with his buddy who did the same. Both with the intention of "sporterizing" them. Dad's A3 was a Remington which immediately got the Fajen stock treatment, his buddy received an absolutely mint 03A4 sniper rifle, complete with scope rings. Complete luck of the draw. Kenny was cock-a-hoop because that meant he didn't have to have the bolt handle bent or drill and tap it for scope mounting before giving it the Fajen stock treatment....

Hey G! Noting your dad's DCM contemporary purchase! Did the simply stock hack prevalent at the time for cheap utility guns pending time/funds for proper sporterization. Yet over decade later out the door as same 'hack', part of traumatic gun sell off to fund grad school! / The NRA Rifleman ad to which I responded were stritly for the basic A3 genre no A4 stuff. Surprised that DCM ever offered such a grab bag purchase deal!
Thanks for the response!
Best & Happy holidays all!
John

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
03 and 03A3 are guns that allways work. All mine are bubbaed sporters. In my A3 collection I have 30-06, 308 Norma mag, 300 win mag, 30-06 Ackley imp, and a 30 wild cat that makes the 30 Gibbs look mild. Even one in 22-250. I like springfields.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Recently. Acquired a O3A3, or so I am told, scope mount covers the serial number. The gentleman that passed it along to me bought it in the 50s and had it sporterized, wearing a Leupold scope and the stock has been replaced, bolt reshaped to clear the scope.

Said he did most of his hunting with this rifle, still chambered in 0-6 and I am looking forward to shooting it my self.

It shows some honest wear, just the way I like em.

Bolt has a lot of drag compared to the two commercial FNs I have. Just cant be 1/2 assed when it comes time to chamber a round i guess.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an 03A3 by Remington with a 4 groove barrel stamped 1943. Dunno what the history on it is as it was a gun show find. Doesn't appear to have seen much duty anywhere and I doubt it ever saw combat. I bought it and a badly bubbaed 1917 Eddystone Enfield mainly to shoot cast bullets. The Enfield has a two groove barrel FWIW. Well, it was quite cheap. Due to circumstances beyond my control I haven't had a chance to do much shooting with either rifles. I will say they seem to like a 220 gr. cast bullet, the Lyman #311284. Now only if I get to where I can shoot iron sights. (Receiver type)
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
03A3 has been a helluva donor action for me, several in the safe. Really make a fine 308 or 358 norma gun, even some newer calibers seem to work just fine in them.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Gnoahhh - The Marine Corp sight upgrades makes a world of difference helping my old eyes.
I modified my 03 C stocked rebarreled in 43 which shoots better than I can.

My straight stocked all original 03 is as issued unmodified and was at Pearl Harbor on December 7th.

Last edited by moose95; 01/04/23.

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 81 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.