Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My first CF rifle was an 03-A3 Remington when I was 16. I hate to say it had been "Bubba" sporterized because it was a really nice job. The barrel had been cut and crowned at 19" and a ramped gold bead front sight properly soldered on. The stock had been reworked in a very craftsmanlike manner to a Mannlicher style with a steel forend cap. The barrel and action was very neatly, full-length glass bedded. It had the original sight in the back, and was still parkerized finish. The 4-groove bore was bright and shiny. I loved that rifle. My friend, who handloaded with his father, provided me 130 grain hollowpoints loaded over 49 grains of Hi-Vel Number 2. They blew woodchucks to smitherines. I had been in the lgs in Ogdensburg, NY on a Friday night while my mother was grocery shopping (she'd drop me and, usually, one of my friends, off to hang out there while she did the weekly grocery run to the "big city.") A guy came in with it wanting to trade it on a Sheridan 5mm pellet rifle. The Sheridan, at that time, was $27.50. Don, the proprietor, gave the guy the Sheridan and $10.00 boot for the Springfield. When the guy left, I asked, Don, "What are you going to get for that?" Without hesitation, he said, "Just what I've got in it, $37.50" I asked, "Will you hold it for me while I get some money together?" He put it up on the rack with a "Sold" tag on it. I went in to visit it once in a while over the two or three months it took me to pay it off. The fall before I went in the Navy, I let a guy borrow to deer hunt with. I never saw it again. Lesson learned. I will say that he ended up paying for it, more than I had in it, but I sure wish I had it back.

The lgs owner was a gentleman by the name of Donald Awan. My brother just texted me his obituary this Saturday past. He died at 93. He was one hell of a good man. I'm sure our Campfire friends DannyL (of maple syrup fame) and Mart (now of Washington and Alaska) know who I'm talking about.

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"at Pearl Harbor on December 7th". Congrats on a great find. There's a cool factor that's about as good as it gets.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 01/05/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So what is the highest chamber pressure caliber has anyone seen used in a 03-A3? I know there is alot of guys in here that have been at this sporterizing longer than me.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Smith-Corona was the last 03a3 I added to my collection of M1903 rifles. For some reason, I was always in the right place at the wrong time until one day, in a local gunshop, I found a real nice one and just happened to have a trade I wanted to get rid of. A deal was made and I finally had my SC!

I collect expensive hobbies.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been shooting the Smith Corona for about eight months now and like it a lot. I've probably put more rounds through it than whoever it was issued to ever did.

So far it likes 48 gr of 4064 with some bulk 150 gr FMJs from Serbia I bought a long time back. It's comfortable to shoot at an extended range session with a "Past" recoil pad. According to the Lyman manual that load's just under 2700 fps. Could maybe get a little more accuracy with a hotter load but this one's pretty good.

I've owned and shot more than my share of bolt action rifles but I believe this one has the smoothest action of any I recall. It feels about the same cycling it empty or chambering a cartridge. The only negative is the thin front sight blade. I put some white paint on it but some days it's still hard to pick up. It's my understanding they make thicker ones and I might give that a try.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Excellent! You might try the Marine Corps blade front sight. It's 1/10" wide. Repros pop up now and again, or simply make one. Another alternative is a blade with a bead on it. They were made by Lyman in the past and turn up on eBay now and again.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I have an '03A3 Remington, undistinguished as re-arsenaled, but for a distinctly greenish finish! An OK rifle but I like the '03 better for the all milled parts. Of course the 'penalty' in the aft barrel sight requiring far better eyes than mine. I also have a Smith Corona sporter where somebody dropped a lot of dough, all for largely naught. The blue job displays the heavy handed over polishing, the modified bolt handle is ugly and the irony of the receiver tapped only for a Lyman 48 sight which, pristine, is the crown jewel and reason I bought it. It wears a Bishop sporting stock which misses the "well crafted mark" aesthetically with very nice milled steel '03 bottom metal. A Jaeger adjustable The Lyman sight alone was worth most of what I paid for, to me, a upper class "truck gun".
To me, the push-pull of the high number 'A3 and the '03 variation is all a matter of the trade between superior aft sight versus superior bottom metal. For me the issue solved in sheer luck of finding a genuine Springfield NRA Sporter, minty as all original for $250 over three decades ago & a keeper for sure!
Just my such Springfield experience/acquisition story.
Best!
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Just picked up a really nice, supposed to be originally from CMP, parkerized Smith-Corona 03A3 that I got off Gunbroker. The barrel marking is Oct. 1943. The bore is bright with sharp four groove rifling. The straight grain walnut stock is the non pistol grip model with hardly a mark on it. It's stamped OG so I believe it's safe to say it's an Ogden Arsenal replacement.

This is the third O3A3 I've owned. I paid $40 for the first one in 1970, like new that still had cosmoline on it. They cost a lot more now. I probably paid too much for this one but I saw several that had considerably higher starting prices that didn't look any better if as good as this one does.

I've owned a couple of the older 03 Springfields; blued, no stamped parts with the cool rear sight and finger groove stock. No question, up close, they're a better looking rifle IMO but the 03A3 receiver mounted "peep" sight make is a lot easier for me and probably a lot of shooters to hit what we're shooting at.

My SC 03-A3 has Two-groove rifling.

OEM.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Garandimal
[quote=43Shooter]Just picked up a really nice, supposed to be originally from CMP, parkerized Smith-Corona 03A3 that I got off Gunbroker. The barrel marking is Oct. 1943. The bore is bright with sharp four groove rifling. The straight grain walnut stock is the non pistol grip model with hardly a mark on it. It's stamped OG so I believe it's safe to say it's an Ogden Arsenal replacement.

This is the third O3A3 I've owned. I paid $40 for the first one in 1970, like new that still had cosmoline on it. They cost a lot more now. I probably paid too much for this one but I saw several that had considerably higher starting prices that didn't look any better if as good as this one does.

I've owned a couple of the older 03 Springfields; blued, no stamped parts with the cool rear sight and finger groove stock. No question, up close, they're a better looking rifle IMO but the 03A3 receiver mounted "peep" sight make is a lot easier for me and probably a lot of shooters to hit what we're shooting at.

My SC 03-A3 has Two-groove rifling.

OEM.

GR[/quote

One of my A3s came from the CMP with a rough, two groove and the first time I looked down that two groove bore I felt like I was cross eyed. It didn’t shoot worth a rip so I kept my eyes open for a new barrel on Gbroker and finally found a new “in the wrap” four groove with the same date as the original. It was completely full of cosmoline and it all came out as a two foot, brown noodle the first time I pushed a patch through it. 😊

I had the CMP Custom Shop swap the barrel and it shoots well. I just wish I had my 20 year old eyes again so I could really see what it could do.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to gnoahhh & moose 95 for info re the wider USMC front sight. Should make it a lot easier lot easier for me to get a more distinct sight picture.

Got it online from 1903partshop, Kevin Blackhurst, "All Types of Parts Military US Foreign or Commercial". He also sells on ebay. The 1903partshop had 1903, 03A3, 30 Carbine & Garand Parts. Good communication as I had some questions re installation specs. He answered my call immediately and took as much time as needed to answer my questions.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 08/23/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Thanks to gnoahhh & moose 95 for info re the wider USMC front sight. Should make it a lot easier lot easier for me to get a more distinct sight picture.

Got it online from 1903partshop, Kevin Blackhurst, "All Types of Parts Military US Foreign or Commercial". He also sells on ebay. The 1903partshop had 1903, 03A3, 30 Carbine & Garand Parts. Good communication as I had some questions re installation specs. He answered my call immediately and took as much time as needed to answer my questions.

Great info! Thanks. My 03-A3 is a Remington. It's in great condition and is awfully fun to shoot:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards, Guy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,545
Posts18,453,457
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.