Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
On a flight from Canada to Harare via Johannesburg (no overnighting) do i need to pick up my rifle, luggage and pass through security at Johannesburgh?

GB1

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
sorry, I forgot that we can't bring our rifle to Zim.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Why can't you take your rifle to Zim. I've taken mine every time I went there. Check it straight through to Harare.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Canada has an export ban on firearms of any sort going to Zim.They will not issue a temporary export permit for Zim.

Last edited by swiftshot; 01/06/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you checked into the following.

Book your flight to South Africa and stay the night in one of the fine motels, and yes there are a couple and they will do your rifle import paperwork for you.

Next day you fly from South Africa to Zimbabwe with your rifles. Do your paperwork, i have mine filled out before i leave so that part is easy.

For your return, just do the opposite.

I know that this add additional days and 2 night lodging in South Africa, however you will have your rifles.

Each leg of your flights needs to be separate and a good travel agent can do that for you.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The consequences of being convicted of international arms smuggling makes this seem like a very bad idea. Canadian Export controls require the outfitter to list their address. Yes, a hunter probably could lie and say the hunt was in South Africa, but I wouldn't. I'm going on a hunt in Zimbabwe in February, via Johannesburg. I'm renting a rifle.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I wanted to use my rifles as well when i went to RSA last June but had heard horror stories and finally just decided to bow hunt. Next time I go, I do plan to take my 375, but not knowing was more than enough to convince me to leave her at home the first time.

Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member Safari Club International
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chance - It's pretty simple. The paperwork isn't that difficult and if you use a meet and greet service in RSA they do all the heavy lifting. The only problems I know of are travelers who don't follow simple airline instructions on how to pack ammo and rifles. The other challenge happens when flying multiple connections on multiple carriers and somewhere along the way a bag goes missing. But from Nashville you would fly Delta to ATL and then to JNB.

More and more hunters headed to Africa are not traveling with firearms due to the time hassle. It does take time on both ends of your travel but that is the only real downside.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Swiftshot,

STRSWilson just gave you a complete, thorough, and accurate answer.👍

R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by swiftshot
On a flight from Canada to Harare via Johannesburg (no overnighting) do i need to pick up my rifle, luggage and pass through security at Johannesburgh?

I would recommend that you spend a day or two in South Africa, then go to Zimbabwe. If you go directly to Zimbabwe, you are noticeable and drawing attention to yourself. Canada does not allow citizens to take firearms to Zimbabwe.

I know people who landed in Johannesburg, grabbed their rifle and stayed over a day or two, or left the airport and then re-entered and went to the airline check-in for the flight to Zimbabwe.

Understand that you could be in trouble taking your rifles to Zimbabwe.

Castnblast has given the best most complete answer.

Last edited by AB2506; 02/01/23.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Americans, your answers do not address the realities of being Canadian.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 49 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.