Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Guybo54 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I'm fairly new at Turkey hunting and have only been doing it a couple seasons. I have a slate call but i am interested in purchasing a box call. What would be a good quality box call for somewhat of a beginner? Thank you. Mike

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Lynch World Champion was my first box call and it was pretty easy to learn. It's a good box call and will last a lifetime with proper care.

https://www.mackspw.com/Lynch-World-Champion-Model-102F-Box-Turkey-Call

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/05/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yessir Lynch are mighty fine calls. I’d personally only buy a call made of cedar. To my ear they seem easier to play and they sound raspy and realistic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
The Lynch World Champion was my first box call and it was pretty easy to learn. It's a good box call and will last a lifetime with proper care.

Solid choice.

Lynch Foolproof would be another good one to learn on. Quaker Boy Grand Old Master is good.

The sky's the limit with box calls.......depending on how much you wanna lighten your wallet. But, any of the above choices is good. Were I to be looking at the Lynch calls and wanted the best call for the $$ I'd look on eBay for a nice, used one made in Liberty, MS rather than Thomasville, GA.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Guybo54
I'm fairly new at Turkey hunting and have only been doing it a couple seasons. I have a slate call but i am interested in purchasing a box call. What would be a good quality box call for somewhat of a beginner? Thank you. Mike

Just about anything that’s on sale. Truth. Being called a bird brain isn’t a compliment for a reason. Don’t get caught up thinking one call is magical. Been there early in my turkey hunting career. I made sure my kids knew better. They all work the same way.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by Guybo54

Just about anything that’s on sale. Truth. Being called a bird brain isn’t a compliment for a reason. Don’t get caught up thinking one call is magical. Been there early in my turkey hunting career. I made sure my kids knew better. They all work the same way.

Pretty much. Yep.

There is no magical call. The magic is in what the person HOLDING IT does with it. That being said............ Eddie Van Halen didn't play a guitar from the toy section in Walmart. There ARE a lot of cases where you truly DO get what you pay for.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I started on a Quaker Boy Grand Old Master that I still have and use occasionally. Has called in plenty of birds. Box calls are pretty straight forward and easy to use. My first tip on running one, keep the paddle on the box. DO NOT pick it up to move it back at the end of the call. They are designed to not make a sound when you draw it back to start another call. It messes up your tempo and sounds horrible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Yoder409
That being said............ Eddie Van Halen didn't play a guitar from the toy section in Walmart.

Devil's advocate here - Eddie didn't LEARN on top of the line gear to start with either. Learn on "what I can get my hands on" and then when a master - people line up to make you high end stuff.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Penns Woods Waterproof Wizard. I probably used that box call more than any other I have. It is pretty inexpensive and sound phenominal. It seems to be higher pitched than any other box call I have. You can make some seriously loud calls on it.

http://www.gamecalls.net/products/Penn_s_Woods_Waterproof_Wizard_Box_Call-754-374.html

I'm pretty sure Gamecalls.net is out of business. But if you can find one somewhere, it's a good box call.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/05/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Solid choice.

Lynch Foolproof would be another good one to learn on. Quaker Boy Grand Old Master is good.

The sky's the limit with box calls.......depending on how much you wanna lighten your wallet. But, any of the above choices is good. Were I to be looking at the Lynch calls and wanted the best call for the $$ I'd look on eBay for a nice, used one made in Liberty, MS rather than Thomasville, GA.

I have an old Lynch fool proof hen. It's a one sided call and I think it sounds better than the world champion. At least the one I have.

My world champion is a Liberty MS model. It looks like I got some gun oil on it. I should clean it up and see if it's marketable. I haven't used it in 20 years.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing dumber than a turkey is a chicken.

My friend inadvertently called in a Tom once, when using a tree increment borer. Every time he turned the handle, the borer made a sound like a yelp. Next thing he knows, a Tom came in on a string.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's the beauty in all of this, you can make it as complicated or as simple as you'd like it to be. Glamorous or ugly... and all points in between. If we only ever got what we "needed", Yugo would still be making cars! And all the personalities an opinions expressed here, is exactly why I'm very picky about whom I hunt with! And that's my opinion! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 2 go to calls are the Lynch 1 sider fool proof & the Quaker Boy "Grand Old Master". I've used both to call in Merriams here in CO. Rios in TX. Easterns in KS. I have other box calls & slates but they usually sit in the gun cabinet or my turkey vest never seeing the light of day.

Back when I started. I got the Quaker Boy & a Dick Kirby VHS tape showing him using that box call. I'm sure tapes are on U-tube showing how to use a box call.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I think 90 % of turkey hunters started out with box calls, there's something about calling a tom in with one. I don't use them much anymore, except when I'm hunting merriams. Especially on windy days. Was lucky enough to meet and buy a call from Dick Kirby at the last NWTF event in Nashville back 2010 I think.
Great call maker and was very happy to discuss calls and hunting.
The call I don't want to leave at the house is my Cane Creek slate call.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I started many many years ago with the Lynch fool proof as the name somehow seem to relate to me. After many years and great success with it I started using Paul Meek calls which I also really like for their variety. Paul made a mini long box call he designed for me which we call the Terminator for use in our big country we hunt here where you are calling birds clean across canyons. About 20 years ago he talked me into using a scratch box. It is a fantastic call and the one I still have that I haven't stepped on or lost has a number of toms brought in with it. I think a lot of hunters think Turkeys are really dumb but I think it all depends where you hunt them. The birds we mostly hunt are very smart for the most part. They are just happy at the end of the day to be alive to have dodged the coyotes, pigs, Mt. Lions and Eagles etc. versus the hunters around orchards and vineyard's that are use to people.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
David Hallorans Purple Heart and Cedar box call, Great sound.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
David Hallorans Purple Heart and Cedar box call, Great sound.

Purpeheart/cedar is a super wood combo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good sounding call. BUT.........dude is goid with a box call, too. You could put any number of calks in a guy like his' hand and they'd sound great.

But Halloran DOES make a top quality call.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Which box call?
Well, the one that feels best in your hand.
The one that you make the best sounds with.
The one that you can afford. (?)

During the height of the turkey "rut", you can call in turkeys with a squeaky gate hinge! LOL!

My first attempt at a box call sounded somewhat like a mouse with a foot caught in a trap! It was horrid.
I built it on a whim out of scrap wood in the morning and used it to call in two toms that afternoon! 😜

Calls are like anything else. Try several and get the one that works best for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 358WCF, 673, 13 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.