#17981237 01/05/23
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ed LaPour. Wouldn't mind one of these:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/05/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
DWM made nice rifles didn't they?

I've always wondered why the 1909 Argentinians have always been more popular during my lifetime than the almost identical 1908 Brazilians. Except for the bottom metal, the actions appear to be the same.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
DWM made nice rifles didn't they?

I've always wondered why the 1909 Argentinians have always been more popular during my lifetime than the almost identical 1908 Brazilians. Except for the bottom metal, the actions appear to be the same.

1) Bottom metal. 2) 1908's are rarely found in as nice condition as the 1909's.

Otherwise, besides the feedrails, the actions can be considered to be VERY similar.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Ed LaPour. Wouldn't mind one of these:

Does he have them reheat treated? They have had softness issues in the past not all but lots have...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Does he have them reheat treated? They have had softness issues in the past not all but lots have...mb"

I'm not sure if that problem occurred with the DWM rifles but I have heard comments that Mauser allowed Argentina to make the rifles and that those did have problems with heat treatment. I do know that my 1909 DWM was thoroughly checked for proper heat treatment has all the little dimples to prove it. Action and barrel done by the Harry lawson company and the stock by Sterling Davenport. Purtiest rifle I own. Chambered to the .280 Re,. 24" barrel. very accurate too.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doing a Rockwell test on a 1909 un the underside of the receiver (flat part) does not give a clue as to the hardness of the lug seats. Remember, these were not gas carburized, they were pack hardened.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by z1r
Doing a Rockwell test on a 1909 un the underside of the receiver (flat part) does not give a clue as to the hardness of the lug seats. Remember, these were not gas carburized, they were pack hardened.

They are slick and beautiful actions, but they're soft. I had a sporterized 09, a nicely done job, that I had a 257AI barrel put on. It was a good condition barrel I got as a throw-in in a trade. About ten rounds into sighting in and shooting for a group I got noticeable set back, obvious when I opened the bolt. I was shooting moderate pressures.

Oh, and it was a DWM

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Heat treatment

That’s the issue I have with Mausers. Clearly I don’t know enough. I got soured on Mausers at a young age when a rifle we built had poor heat treating. Luckily I have a cousin who knows a lot about Mausers. If/when I build a rifle with a Mauser action, I buy the action from him.
I suppose those of you that love Mausers know a lot more than me too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by z1r

I've been running a fairly stiff load with the 160 gr. Grand Slam at nearly 2900 FPS and no problems so far with my 1909 Argie.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Agreed on the 1908 Brazilians. I've owned both 1909s and at least two 1908s. The 08s looked great on the outside and bores seemed to have good rifling but were initially dark. The more I cleaned them the worse it got. They went from almost black to brown after brushing and got progressively worse from there. The patches finally started tearing from all the pits in the bore. I ended up parting them out.

The only reason I can think of and don't know if I'm right is Brazil being a more tropical country was a lot harder on rifles then Argentina.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's what I've always figured, but I suppose differences in the amount of (corrosive) ammo fired and cleaning practices could certainly have contributed.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
beautiful.. Venezuelan are also found in clean in-the-white condition.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hey, Hey, Rich J... great centerfold you got there today! smile

Just perusing and couldn't let your great rifle go by without congratulatory comment! Looks like new! A suggestion! Your chiming in, a bit off-subject for this Thread and also tagging on downstream of accumulated number of Posts! Likely that's why accolades deficit. Suggestion your rifle really merits its own Thread including full centerfold pix. Future 'perhaps' word to wise!
Best!
John

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
John

thanks. This one found a new home a while ago. only have a few pic.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting thread for me. I have a 1909 that was re-barrelled to .270 some time before I inherited it from an Uncle, also re-stocked in a nice piece of walnut. Shoots great, has put some deer down for me.

Mike Holmes

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had a pretty mint, numbers matching 1909 action for years that was to become a 20" Mannlicher stocked 35 Whelen. Came close to pulling the trigger with Roger Green. Interest clearly passed. I should sell it as I will never do anything with it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are lovely rifles. Back in the 70s, a shop in Silver Spring, MD had a barrel full of pristine ones. Had test targets attached. $175 IIRC, about a week’s pay then.

Still, a commercial FN or Husky, sometimes the same thing, remains the easy button for Joe Average.

What fresh Hell is this?
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
They are lovely rifles. Back in the 70s, a shop in Silver Spring, MD had a barrel full of pristine ones. Had test targets attached. $175 IIRC, about a week’s pay then.

Still, a commercial FN or Husky, sometimes the same thing, remains the easy button for Joe Average.

No truer words!

These days, with the lack of decent smiths that know anything about 98's, a commercial action is one's best bet. They are generally scope ready, have better heat treatment, and will cost a whole lot less to get up and running.

That said, nothing beats a Standard 98 converted to a fine sporting rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One question to confirm things in my mind, will a large ring 98 mauser barrel fit a 1909 action? Why i ask I have a 1909 I bought that was supposedly chambered in 244 Rem.(6 mm) and the chamber has been bubba'd it needs a new barrel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.