Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Rather than continue derailing the memes thread, I have started a new discussion.

There, I made the assertion that a true man is never without a pocketknife, a handkerchief, and some cash. Most people had no issue with the knife or cash, but pooh-poohed the handkerchief a bit. Some even suggested that as long as there are shirt sleeves, one does not need a handkerchief. That was possibly a joke. Maybe.

However, I would like now to point out that a handkerchief is valuable for more than blowing one's nose. With one, you can wipe sweat, clean glasses, use as a bandage, or (if you are French) surrender. With a large enough one, it can serve as a sweat band, mask, bandana, rescue flag, hat, sunshade, water strainer, or even a tourniquet. Which is why I carry one.

I'd also make one other suggestion for the properly-dressed male: a flashlight. I have a Streamlight Nano that rides on my keychain. It's the size of a cigarette butt, but provides a surprisingly bright beam. Another that I frequently carry in addition to the Nano is a rechargeable Streamlight Microstream. That one is the size of an unsmoked cig.

Discussion?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Agreed Rocky with the exception of the hanky. I’m a shirt sleeve or the-shirt man. I’ll use whichever or both to take care of your handkerchief needs!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No handkerchief.

I do carry a terry cloth rag dangling from my back pocket to wipe sweat, or blood, or wipe hands. Don't blow my nose on it though. If I blow my nose on something, it's a paper product that gets promptly tossed in the trash.

I go through a lot of those in summer, as I'm prone to sweat.

Never without a pocket knife. Never without a handgun or AR within at least easy reach. Got plenty of lights at hand too.

One thing I've added as an essential now is a phone. I keep records on it for client hours, photographs, get notifications from surveillance cameras, has a built in flashlight, compass, and even...a phone to call someone in an emergency. grin

Cash, ID, and quarters.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of the list - I carry a knife on me, flashlight in the truck along with a ferro rod and firestarters.

Somehow I'm still alive without some of the things everyone believes "a person should have" to get through their day. "I always carry 300 tools, a spare driveshaft, floor jack, 2 tires, tire repair kit, sat phone, 3 AAA accounts, a chainsaw, 9 pistols, a camp stove, a sleeping bag and 2 tents in the truck of the Buick - even when going to the store for a quart of milk."

Me

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Pocketknife, small (2-CR132A batteries) flashlight, handkerchief, 10' piece of cord or small rope, and lighter (even though I don't smoke). Everywhere, every day. Cash and a cell phone are often with me, but the other things are always with me.

Usually if I'm carrying cash and a cell phone, then I'm carrying a handgun too...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Grandfather carried a handkerchief

As far as your multiple use theory, there’s nothing like using your snot rag you store in your pocket to then also wipe the sweat from your brow and clean your glasses.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I flew to Florida recently, I don’t check any bags. You can’t fly with a pocketknife ad I felt undressed the whole time. I might have to buy one to leave in Florida on my next visit.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree in the handkerchief. I rarely am without one. It's amazing how many times I've had others need it's use.

I don't see a problem with the flashlight, but not sure I'd include it in the "properly dressed man" thing. Great to have, but IMO the flashlight function of phones has replaced the need to carry it as a separate item.

I would include a way of making fire. I almost always have a lighter in my pocket. Don't smoke, but it comes in handy very often. Usually just a cheap BIC, but not unusual to have a Zippo in my pocket. Never know with some lady needs a light or you've been offered a cigar. LOL.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always a pocketknife…. I’m always close to my rig so there is plenty of stuff in there….. one thing I learned along time ago was water. Here in the summer it can be non-existent. Every vehicle has at least a gallon if not 2-3. A basic tool kit and jumper cables but mostly water.

If you are broke down anywhere….. even if you can call someone it may be an hour or 2 before someone can reach you. Heat exhaustion/Stress is real dangerous.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most people feel naked without their phone now which probably has a built in flashlight.

I completely agree on the pocketknife and cash though. Handkerchief sounds good but it's definitely missing from my pockets.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pointer, you make a...well, point. I carry a flashlight because I do not carry a phone. To those of you addicted to those electronic leashes, you still qualify as having a light.

To the tee shirt comment, if ever I'm bleeding and you offer me your sweaty, stinky, bacteria-riddled tee shirt as a bandage...I will decline. Many of the uses I describe should be limited to a clean hankie. If you are blowing your nose every few minutes into one, you have eliminated all uses but that one. Which is still less disgusting than a sodden sleeve right there in full view.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 01/06/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
I agree in the handkerchief. I rarely am without one. It's amazing how many times I've had others need it's use.

I don't see a problem with the flashlight, but not sure I'd include it in the "properly dressed man" thing. Great to have, but IMO the flashlight function of phones has replaced the need to carry it as a separate item.

I would include a way of making fire. I almost always have a lighter in my pocket. Don't smoke, but it comes in handy very often. Usually just a cheap BIC, but not unusual to have a Zippo in my pocket. Never know with some lady needs a light or you've been offered a cigar. LOL.

In this day and age I wouldn’t handle any handkerchief from anyone or would I offer one unless I didn’t want it back. Small travel pack of Kleenex is more better.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No argument, Swifty. Fortunately, hankies come in six-packs for very little money.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My keys, micro wallet, knife, kerchief and a firearm are always with me. If I'll be out after dark I add a little O Light mini flash light. Usually have a bottle of water with me when I leave the house. That mostly stays in the truck. The truck is a whole other subject, it's outfitted for about anything I might run into.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Knife, light and pistol.

Rags, first aid and other tools in the truck.

Stupid phone may or may not be on my person.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A microfiber lens cloth is virtually always in my pocket! But not for snot...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A torn up shirt for a bandage over a dirty handkerchief.... after going through allbsorts of crapy pencil style lights I have found that the Nebo inspector is pretty durable for less than $20.. the are good about replacing them if they do go bad. I had one accumulate so much dust that the beam focus became inoperable.. It was replaced like a Craftsmen ratchet.

Beanman,
you could always buy a knife there and mail it back to yourself...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Farmer's bandanna, it could be used as a tourniquet, or a compress.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's more the farmer in me rather than the gentleman.
I almost always have a folded up blue shop rag in one of my pockets. Usually for grease or dirt.
Works well for snot also. I don't see the need for a hanky. They make these cute little boxes of kleenex that fit in my truck perfectly.
If I blow my nose in something, it ain't going back in my pocket.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Pocket knife? Yep (3 of them).
Handkerchief? Yep. (For glasses primarily. The one currently in my pocket has had a couple strips cut off of it to attach deer tags to antlers. Also works for bandage.)
Cash? Yep.

Maybe it's just my personal twitch, but I absolutely never set my wallet or keys down, they are <<always>> in my pocket. That means I always have my credit card and driver's license on me.

Anymore I almost never go without my cell phone.

Finally, I have a little "go" bag, not a bug-out bag, which contains a flashlight, hunting knife, Leica monocular, kleenex, a disposable poncho, ear plugs, water purification tablets, and a .44 magnum and some ammo which is with me most of the time.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.