Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1936M71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Lost my Irish Setter yesterday to IMHA . Thinking of new pup to share my last years with, and hunting an occasional mountain grouse. Smaller setter preferred.any suggestions. Thanks Randall

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My BEST companion dog was a female Australian Cattle Dog. She was also the best flushing and retrieving dog west of the Mississippi!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And here comes one of everyones favorite breed. I say English Cocker...and now you are quickly up to two. Probably best to go with what you know and prefer. Or hang around some others and make a decision based on your experience rather than....

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd look for a Llewellyn setter from one of the smaller sized bloodlines. It's what I plan to do when I retire next year.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
338Rem is a good one but he's getting a little old so might only be good for the first field or two.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wachtelhund.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lost my Chessie a little over a year ago. If I end yp getting another gun dog it will be one of the smaller breeds for several reasons. I'm thinking it will either be a Boykin spaniel or a golden retriever. Just to be clear, when I say a golden retriever I'm not talking about those oversized white monstrosities currently so popular with the pet set. I'm talking about a field bred dog that meets the breed standards. There is only one breeder of goldens I'd consider, she''s been breeding them over 30 years, she knows what she's doing and her dogs do it right and make it look easy. But in any case, I'm leaning toward a Boykin.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nebraska
338Rem is a good one but he's getting a little old so might only be good for the first field or two.....

Whatchoo talkin bout Willis!!!

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I'd look for a Llewellyn setter from one of the smaller sized bloodlines. It's what I plan to do when I retire next year.

Who would want a Llewellin as a companion? Anyone who likes loyal dogs.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you're looking for a companion thatlives with you and hunts with you, a French Brit might be a good choice. They make wonderful companions and are generally gentle spirits. But if you need a wide ranging rough and tumble, or open rough water dog, or a dog that stays in a kennel probably not. I'm not familiar with your grouse, but for our eastern pheasants( if you still find any), ruffled grouse, and woodcock they're pretty great.
Not much can compare with a new puppy to fix a broken heart.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Brittany would be my choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
German Shorthaired Pointer would be my choice, wicked smart and can do it all.

Good luck in finding the dog that will be your best friend for years to come :o)

KB

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Pudelpointer. She's an absolute sweetheart, smart, with amazing prey drive. She calms down in the house and amps up when outside. We've been spoiled. Good luck on your search!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
No breed gets more attached to their owner than an American Water Spaniel. Some are too attached and can be overly protective. In between an English Field Cocker and an English Springer in size but hunting machines of upland or waterfowl. Not sought as pets as they look like mangy Springers and all chocolate in color, but chances of getting one with a great nose and natural retrieving instincts is extremely high. Take cold weather well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Large Munsterlander. Not only a versatile pointer/retriever but bred for blood trail tracking and their good at it. Lost mine last June, reserved female pup from an owner that plans a litter the next heat his female has. Great family dog and loyal companions. Pic of mine in avatar

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by cra1948
Lost my Chessie a little over a year ago. If I end yp getting another gun dog it will be one of the smaller breeds for several reasons. I'm thinking it will either be a Boykin spaniel or a golden retriever. Just to be clear, when I say a golden retriever I'm not talking about those oversized white monstrosities currently so popular with the pet set. I'm talking about a field bred dog that meets the breed standards. There is only one breeder of goldens I'd consider, she''s been breeding them over 30 years, she knows what she's doing and her dogs do it right and make it look easy. But in any case, I'm leaning toward a Boykin.
Hard to replace a Chessie, but a Boykin comes very close and in a more compact package.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 12 year old Boykin Spaniel I hunt (Not as often or as fast anymore) both fur and feathers. Very easy to train. She struggles with a large goose but will retrieve it. She is a great companion, rides on me motorcycle with me. Is small enough, I can grab her from water and place back in canoe with one hand without tipping over.

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This was posted earlier today in the classifieds. Could be a match made in heaven.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...8-months-in-mich-need-homes#Post18983267

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hard to beat a good lab, or an Airedale.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I sent a pm. Have a really nice litter of shorthairs that are calm and very smart. Out of proven dogs that can reach back into the 60s-70s in 5 or 6 generations.
Line bred Wildburg lines...Essers Chick very close multple times. Going to put on classifieds when I get a chance
8wk old and ready to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.