Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was in the process of wanting to try to do some handloads and needed some straight wall hulls so I was trying to just uncrimp some factory shells so I didn't have to waste the components, but when I did, I was rather surprised at what was hiding underneath.

I'll be the first to admit, I have shot a lot of federal 16's growing up. But these were bought, probably late 2015? I'm not sure how the old shells were made. I never thought to take one apart back then. But I am curious if someone who may have bought a box of the newer production could mind checking to see if these are still how they're being produced now or not please.

These were still in the sealed box and kept in a dry cool area, so finding the powder in a big clump, which you can see around the 7 o'clock, was sort of unsettling.

And just by looking at it, I swear that looks like titegroup powder too. I even weighed the charge so I could see what they were doing at the factory.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's not the only thing inside of there that seemed to be substandard. Turns out, the wad is a 2 piece wad to boot. The shot cup is just perched on top of a riser/extension that looks like it was melted to the right height to get a decent crimp by a 3rd grader.

A
A
I have reloaded shot shells for 45+ years now and have had to take many of them apart.
More often than not under pressure from the wad and the crimp the powder will be "clumped". No reason for concern.
This wad design is used in nearly all gauges of Federals "promotional" [ read that cheap] shot shell loads like the Top Gun, Field and target, etc...
This wad is designed to be used with all different shot loads by the amount of pressure used to shorten the wad post for the required room needed to crimp the shell.
The post is left taller for light loads and it is shortened for heavy loads.
There are articles in magazines and on line about this wad in Federal shotshells.
Gone are the days of the old Federal Pushion-Cushion wad in Federal shotshells except for the premium target loads.

johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for your response sir. I appreciate it a lot.

Another gentleman had also mentioned the same thing to me later about the compression. So, that is somewhat of a relief that some of my shells weren't getting exposed to too much moisture.

I have not seen any pictures or articles about the federal wads. While I understand how they work, I can't really say that I've very impressed with how they did that, because I'm not.

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.