Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Stories and/or photos of your sheep(hunts). There’s just something about them…

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
**Not mine**

Pitter Patter!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
September 1990 after a trip to Russia on an Atlantic Salmon expedition on the Kola Peninsula, and a couple weeks before heading to Alaska for Caribou. 1990 the year of adventure...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Missouri Breaks Ewe. Poor man’s big horn that can be done with a year or two of applying.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Mountain goat taken on Mt Huron in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area near Buena Vista CO in 2001. Took me 22 years to pull the tag.

Bighorn taken near Georgetown CO in 1988. Pulled that tag on my 4th attempt.

Somewhere I have photos of them in the field but this was before cell phones so they were taken with a 35mm SLR.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mac---I took my mtn goat on Iowa Peak. Right next to Mt Huron. That was in 2000. It took me 13 years to draw the tag.

Killed my ram in unit 16. That was 1998. Bob

Last edited by colorado bob; 01/06/23.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
11 year old dall ram.

7 days later after I went back in and relocated him.

Went on a DIY barbary hunt in NM but it wasn't a backpack hunt. Camped at the pickup. Didn't get one anyhow though I easily could have.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
11 year old dall ram.

7 days later after I went back in and relocated him.

Went on a DIY barbary hunt in NM but it wasn't a backpack hunt. Camped at the pickup. Didn't get one anyhow though I easily could have.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1992, just 2years after drawing the Bighorn tag…

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here's my story from 2015. Not a DIY hunt because you can't do that in AK as a non-resident, but still the toughest hunt I've been on. You have to scroll back and go through the first couple pages to see all the pics.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10318872/2

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Some great looking sheep.

Shrapnel, that ram has some nice flare.

Great story Smokepole.

Pitter Patter!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great thread Nash, hope it grows legs,

The DYI part limits me to viewing only, and that’s cool.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nashville;
Good afternoon my friend, it's been too long since I've said hello to you. I hope you've been keeping well enough despite all the strange days we're having up here.

Since I've told most of this before, I'll apologize in advance and try to either add some new stuff or at least make it interesting.

In the late '80's we had over the counter tags for California Bighorn here in the semi-famous Vaseux Lake herd. From that herd sheep were transplanted into Oregon, Nevada, Washington state for sure and other spots here in BC. The restrictions were 3/4 curl minimum and then we were allowed one ram every three years at first, then it switched to one every five and now it's LEH with only two tags.

At first I wasn't really interested in chasing sheep, but as I became more and more involved with the local gun/fish and game club I sort of caught the fever. Full disclosure here too for all, this is a backpack hunt but not really in that we're hunting out of a 4x4 driving to the end of logging roads and then day hiking in from there.

Some of the area we're looking at would look like this.

[Linked Image]

This
[Linked Image]

That
[Linked Image]

Or even this
[Linked Image]

As a by the way Nashville, we moved from Oliver which is south of the 3rd photo to where we're at today just north of Vaseux Lake which is the one in the bottom photo. Our place is a couple kilometers north of the lake up on a bench about the same elevation as the hayfield in that picture.

The first year I got serious enough to book a week off of work and hit it hard was 1990 and while I saw rams that year, I wasn't able to make it come together. The next year that is '91, I again booked off a week and headed into some areas where I had less competition and knew some rams usually were. It is quite rough country, much like the top photo and I was in the timber just at daybreak when this guy was staring at me from about 80yds in the timber. When he turned to run I saw he was 3/4 curl and I sent a bullet from my BBR '06 into his lungs.

Orville Dyer, one of the bios in Penticton aged it at 7 and one can see that the herd wasn't in great shape as it's not huge growth for a 7 year old. To be clear I was very happy with it then and am today.

[Linked Image]

Funny side story here Nashville, I wrote the story up in the old Western Sportsman magazine and didn't hear anything from them for years, so assumed it didn't make the cut. Then out of the blue in '96 a buddy calls me and starts telling me how much he liked the story about my sheep hunt??? What???

They hadn't sent anything my way and when I called them, they sounded confused but did send a cheque for it after awhile which paid for a good 10" Makita miter saw I badly needed at the time.

So in true Paul Harvey tradition Nashville, this past fall my long time hunting partner and good friend got drawn for one of the two tags up behind the house.

We started in the last week of August when it was still 32°C up top spotting and hit it hard when season opened on September 01st. While we saw rams and it was so cool to be the only ones up there hunting since it was only bow season for deer and elk then, we just couldn't put it together and then after a couple weeks the rams vanished.

One afternoon sitting in our yard before we headed up for another kick at it, I suggested we go look at the old haunts where I'd hunted all those years before. Sure enough right near dark I spotted two rams and then he and his nephew picked up a couple more near the first two. We put them to bed and were up on the hill in the dark the next morning.

So it was that 31 years and 2 days after I'd shot my ram, buddy took a wonderful ram within half a kilometer of where mine died. His ram has better bases, carries more weight out the curl and is longer than mine and was aged at 5 which is partially from the big fire we had up there in '03 which really improved the feed.

While I do have photos of it, he's not into social media and I respect that. He was very generous with the meat however, so here's some of it when we were cutting it up in our garage.

[Linked Image]

Again not a backpack hunt for sure, but mine was a solo run. His had a few of us old sheep hunters gathered together for what we all figured might be our last ram hunt up there, since the odds of being drawn before we cross over aren't great, you know?

Thanks for reading and for letting my mind wander down some grand vistas and epic adventures.

All the best to you in 2023.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great thread thanks for sharing.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Nashville;
Funny side story here Nashville, I wrote the story up in the old Western Sportsman magazine and didn't hear anything from them for years, so assumed it didn't make the cut. Then out of the blue in '96 a buddy calls me and starts telling me how much he liked the story about my sheep hunt??? What???

They hadn't sent anything my way and when I called them, they sounded confused but did send a cheque for it after awhile which paid for a good 10" Makita miter saw I badly needed at the time.

So in true Paul Harvey tradition Nashville, this past fall my long time hunting partner and good friend got drawn for one of the two tags up behind the house.
Dwayne

It is fun to get published, but it doesn't seem to matter as much to the publisher as it does to the writer. This guy wanted me to write a story for his book on Montana rams. I wrote it and he did publish it in his book, but I didn't get anything for it...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
shrapnel;
Good afternoon Kirk, I hope the first weekend of the year finds you and your fine family well.

Thanks for the reply and for the book photos - that's very cool! cool

For sure I wasn't expecting much for a magazine article and was happy with what they sent - again it got put towards a miter saw I needed for a couple projects around the place.

Your ram is a wonderful Rocky by the way, congratulations on him as well as the story.

That ram on the cover flat takes my breath away.

All the best to you all this year Kirk.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Prob 25 years ago back when there were still decent rams to be found here in Alaska

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been lucky to get into sheep hunting before the population dropped here, although I obviously missed the heyday.

This was my first sheep, in the Brooks range. 2010.

This is my most recent, from the Talkeetnas in 2019 I'm pretty sure.

Here's an on the wall shot with a few rams, the Brooks range ram is on the right. The other two are from the Alaska range. Pardon the terrible lighting.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dont have any pictures of my goat handy, but this is my wife's goat from 2019.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In Idaho the odds of a resident drawing a sheep tag are very low, well under 1 in 10 for most units. For a non-res, the odds are only 1/10 as high. In 2021, only 9 non-res drew a tag.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
I've been lucky to get into sheep hunting before the population dropped here, although I obviously missed the heyday.

Nice rams Chris! Being a non-res, I've only hunted sheep up there once but for Alaskans, the sheep decline must be a real bummer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 51 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,727
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.