Print Thread
Hop To
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone ever heard of it or even belong to it?

Hiking and mountain climbing....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_Forty-Sixers

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have heard of it, but haven't hiked/climbed any of those on the east coast.

Colorado has a similar club for the 53 peaks over 14,000' and I have hiked some of these:

Colorado Fourteeners

Always fun to get above timberline!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I know quite a few people that do it, I haven't had that much ambition. If I'm hiking it's for hunting or fishing

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Speaking to Beretz via PM, for some reason I thought of it as it popped in my head at like 6 AM, when I woke up...
Hasn't been in my mind since I bet the early 1980s...

I went to college in New England, and heard about it there...I actually climbed 43 of the 46 peaks back in the early 70s...
You had to get a signature from someone to verify you had climbed it, and IIRC, it had to be on the mountain...

When I had climbed 43 of them, I had heard that they finally had a 1000 people who had climbed them all and as of that point, they closed the organization down.... I later climbed the remaining three, but since it was closed.. I never got verification from any witnesses...

That about it and went on line, and looked up the Club on Wiki... was surprised to see that evidently they didn't close it when they had 1000 people to complete all 46 peaks... they're at like 14,000 plus nowadays.. 50 years later.

I was a hiking fool, back in Jr High, High School and College....hadn't thought of that accomplishment in 40 years I bet....so only doing 43 verified, guess it is close but no cigar....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I know quite a few people that do it, I haven't had that much ambition. If I'm hiking it's for hunting or fishing

This.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Seafire
Speaking to Beretz via PM, for some reason I thought of it as it popped in my head at like 6 AM, when I woke up...
Hasn't been in my mind since I bet the early 1980s...

I went to college in New England, and heard about it there...I actually climbed 43 of the 46 peaks back in the early 70s...
You had to get a signature from someone to verify you had climbed it, and IIRC, it had to be on the mountain...

When I had climbed 43 of them, I had heard that they finally had a 1000 people who had climbed them all and as of that point, they closed the organization down.... I later climbed the remaining three, but since it was closed.. I never got verification from any witnesses...

That about it and went on line, and looked up the Club on Wiki... was surprised to see that evidently they didn't close it when they had 1000 people to complete all 46 peaks... they're at like 14,000 plus nowadays.. 50 years later.

I was a hiking fool, back in Jr High, High School and College....hadn't thought of that accomplishment in 40 years I bet....so only doing 43 verified, guess it is close but no cigar....

Me too. Not as fun now for sure. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
From 1966 to 1973, I've also hiked the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine, in portions from the age of 14 to age of 21....

same with the Long Trail in Vermont between 1972 & 1973...

then when I was in the military and stationed at Madigan AMC, on Ft Lewis.. I've hiked the Pacific Crest Trail, from the Canadian Border down Sisters/Bend Oregon... 1977 and 1978....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.