Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Seems like their pricing is getting a little crazy, the tenacity went from a little over 900$ to 1595$ not sure I’ll be using them anymore!

GB1

300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Seems like their pricing is getting a little crazy, the tenacity went from a little over 900$ to 1595$ not sure I’ll be using them anymore!

Defiance won't be in buisness long with pricing like that!! There's a post on snipershide where Defiance stated in spite of all their sales, they were close to shutting their doors because they were losing money...

Sounds like mismanagement almost ran it into the ground....I won't be using them anymore!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/01/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Originally Posted by TX35W
Most recently, McMillan made cuts to their available types of stocks and the actions they inlet for. They are getting rid of less-used molds or storing them away and saying they got rid of them. Also insisting on larger and more constant production runs for the smaller custom stocks they make for rifle builders, etc, refusing to do inlets that they used to do on certain stocks, etc.

Probably making more runs of stocks they can sell in large quantities to Altus, Redhawk, etc...while cutting the one-off stuff that folks on this forum tend to appreciate.
Originally Posted by Northman
I agree with TX35W..

McMillan was the only synthetic stock maker of different molds for "unusual" rifle actions..
Which I had no problem with waiting 7-8 months for mine, because nobody else made one for my action.

Now its basically Rem 700 and clones, Tikka T3, some Win 70, Something Savage, Howa 1500.

They removed ALOT of different stock models, some molds they removed from website years ago, but still able to buy flattop, but dont list on website, you have to ask, etc etc..

Now they make almost exclusively for Rem 700.. and bought a company that makes Rem 700 clones..
So, I guess we will see rifles made one their actions, in their stocks was well.... Synergy

So basically they made sound business decisions for themselves.

Knowing a little bit about operations, marginal costs, contribution margins etc. there is absolutely no way that McMillan was turning a profit on their lower volume, more obscure work.

So they had a choice when looking at unprofitable parts of their business - either shelve the molds and stop offering those unprofitable combinations, or raise prices to the point of making them profitable. I can only imagine the meltdown on the campfire if they raised prices on their lower volume, more obscure work to try to turn a profit.

Some of you will undoubtedly say the McMillan family did it - but capitalism is part of what makes america great and when you buy a business for a certain price, it is yours to manage as you please, including running it in a way to turn the profit necessary to justify what you paid for it.

Last i checked businesses don't exist to make your life easier by making an obscure stock at a loss. They exist to make a profit for their shareholders. If Beck has concluded that focusing on larger volume patterns, inlets and dealers is the best way to maximize value of the business, more power to him from my point of view.

If there is a void left behind that is worth filling, capitalism suggests someone will fill it.

PS - so what barrel maker do we expect Beck to buy?

Maybe so, but I used to buy a few McM stocks nearly every year and I don't buy any now.

I liked the old McM better. While they weren't perfect, I liked ordering a complete stock off an ala cart menu for an all inclusive single price. The 2023 price list is still an ala cart menu, but now if you want a hunting style stock you are charged at each step of the selection process; $578 for the stock, $64 for inletting the stock, $130 if you want a marble finish, $38 for a basic recoil pad, and $10 for QD studs. The price only goes higher if you want more or different options. I thought that the price for a complete McM stock was a little high at $500, but I really like the Hunter and Mountain RIfle styles, so I was willing to pay for them. The current price of $820 for a complete hunting stock seems too high to me, so I'm no longer buying new McMs. A lot of companies end up failing after they alienate/disregard their loyal core of customers.

I have no knowledge of Defiance Machine, but if they are managed like McM going forward, they are likely to alienate at least a portion of the customers who got them to where they are.

That said, how other people choose to spend their money and where they choose to spend it is of no interest to me.

Or so it seems to me.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by 300MAG

Defiance won't be in buisness long with pricing like that!! There's a post on snipershide where Defiance stated in spite of all their sales, they were close to shutting their doors because they were losing money...

Sounds like mismanagement almost ran it into the ground....I won't be using them anymore!!

Jeff, I can understand raising prices but to take their bottom dollar action and add almost $600 to the the price tag tells me they don't care if they sell many....

Wonder how many custom builders will continue using Defiance actions in their builds!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Glad I got mine when I did

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Still $995

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023025877?pid=935870

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Still $995

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023025877?pid=935870

Now THAT was fhuqking FUNNY! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You are doing "GREAT!". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Out of Stock....No backorder

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't matter what the price is, if they don't have any and you can't backorder them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Link shows new price but still out of stock

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What were the fhuqking "odds"?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only price increase I've seen so far in on the Defiance site. I've bought two Tenacitys this year, won't buy another if that price holds, will find another receiver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, the place I bought two Tenacitys from in 2022 has just posted the increase so I'll be looking for other options.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The place I got mine from about a month ago does not even show Defiance as an option anymore.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So they went up 60% because they weren't making any money before....hard to stay in business that way

More power to them its there's to run the way they see fit but 60% is a lot to over look for the last few years and they were able to buy new machines a new building and expand so who knows...hard for me to fully buy into that

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Beck dicked up McMillan. I'd expect the same with Defiance.
Yep.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gene270
So they went up 60% because they weren't making any money before....hard to stay in business that way

More power to them its there's to run the way they see fit but 60% is a lot to over look for the last few years and they were able to buy new machines a new building and expand so who knows...hard for me to fully buy into that

They were not making money before, but they were making up for it in volume....lol

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If some of the other action manufacturers follow suit with price increases, three will a bunch of Remington actions find their way to the lathe. The old argument that it’s not worth the cost of the matching labor just went out the window.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Beck dicked up McMillan. I'd expect the same with Defiance.
Yep.
Yep. The next step is to bring in Eric Stecker to eliminate a bunch of the neatest and most unique products that make the company worth buying from, similar to what happened at Berger with the 17 caliber 30 grain bullets, and Mcmillan's elimination of many inlets and patterns.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Huh… Glen just added machines to make one piece bolts last year… I’m kind of suprised he sold the company…

Must have been a great offer -

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.