Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I’ve done it. Now I buy when I’m bored instead.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can own every gun I want, just not all at the same time. I've sent close to 200 down the road over the years

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have never sold a gun. Once I buy em, they have a forever home. Once, in the '80s, I gave a12 ga to a bowling partner for home protection.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I don't sell very much any more. Made a list of my stuff and who it is to go to, and the rest are my stepdaughter's and this family. I have given away 4 or 5 in the last years, but it is nice to know they are used by old friends and that will be a nice way to be remembered. I really don't need the $, and it is fun to fool with them even if it is once every five years.
I still have a few more to give away, but not ready to do it yet. I can't think of a nicer way to be remembered than by a rifle or shotgun given to a younger friend.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As someone whose livelihood is based around buying and selling used guns, I'll put in my perspective. If you're not attached emotionally, not using it, and can make good money while the market is still hot, sell it and enjoy the money while you're alive. 9 times out of 10, big collections left to family will still end up in my shop. Most often, the family will pick a couple they want, and sell the rest. Or 1 pos family member will sell off everything without the rest of the family knowing to fund their own needs. Or, just like money, cars, property, etc... its going to cause a whole lot of fighting when you're gone.

I swap out stuff fairly often, again with my job its real easy to be tempted by something new on a near daily basis haha There are a few that ain't going anywhere anytime soon, but as of yet I don't have kids, my brother passed, my sister is unable to have kids. So most likely my guns I may happen to have, will be set aside for a couple of cousins kids who so far, have an interest. Honestly I've been purging a bit lately to upgrade a few projects, or to fund some guns that are nice than what I have now. And to bank some money to maybe actually travel to hunt and USE some guns .

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gibby
A wise old man told me to never sell a gun. You will regret it. I listened.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I’ve done it. Now I buy when I’m bored instead.

The two concepts don’t conflict. Both result in change, the remedy (sometimes) for boredom. You’re allowed to do both, even on the same day! That pretty much describes a trade, come to think of it. Did one of those a couple of weeks ago.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire

Not true. I've sold plenty that I have no desire to have back. My tastes changed

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I regret selling a bunch of them, but if I hadn’t sold, i would not have the ones i have now

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have the opposite problem...hunting season is over, everything back in the safe, I'm just loading ammo.

Looking back, this is the time of year when I buy or commission a rifle.

Dang, did it again...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wouldn’t sell now. A. You’ll underestimate the value. Inflation is crazy. B. The dollar is about to tank and guns will be in high demand.

Trade for utilitarian/ defensive guns or ammo if you are light in that area.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Seafire

Not true. I've sold plenty that I have no desire to have back. My tastes changed

I have never understood the reasoning behind never selling a gun? If interests/tastes change, it’s not sentimental, or you no longer have a use for a gun why in the world would you not trade it or sell it and apply the funds to something that you would enjoy more? Can someone explain it to me because it makes absolutely zero sense to me?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
I can own every gun I want, just not all at the same time. I've sent close to 200 down the road over the years

That's the same for me. I've bought and sold lots.

I have a few family rifles that will never go anywhere until they go to one of my kids. Nothing fancy really. Remington 700 30-06. .30-40 krag, a couple .22s and shotguns from the grandpa's.

I do regret selling two rifles though. Sorta... One was a marlin 45-70 but I didn't like the straight stock or 18" barrel. So I sold it but regretted not having a 45-70 anymore. Picked up a 22" with the pistol grip stock and love it.

The second was a cz550 in .458wm. it was just cool to pull out and shoot. Doubt I'll ever replace it as I have no need.

Everything else gets bought to enjoy and then sold when I'm done with it. Been through a closet full of savage/Stevens rifles in various calibers because they were cheap, shot well, and gave me something to play with.

I'm about to get a flintlock from a friend. And as long as it shoots well it'll never go anywhere either.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've only sold one rifle that I regret selling.

It's the only one I ever sold. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm alot like Gnoahhh, I get bored, I like to buy em shoot reload for them , hunt em! But then one comes along that iv never owned, I like to give them a try. I'm on a limited income, so can't afford just to keep buying anymore. No kids, so don't collect anymore. There's a handful I'd love to have back, but there just tools in the long run. Not alot left that I need to try, but there's a few yet!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've bought 100s of guns in my life but usually never do have more than 20 in the safe.

Some come and some go and so on. I have no desire whatsoever to own a lot of firearms.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I've bought 100s of guns in my life but usually never do have more than 20 in the safe.

Some come and some go and so on. I have no desire whatsoever to own a lot of firearms.

Same here

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used to go through that this time of year. I have bought and sold a safefull or two, only one or maybe 2 I wish I had back. Most were factory rifles that financed the customs that I have now and are exactly what I wanted. I decided I would rather have a few guns I used the hell out of instead of 30-40 guns that I merely owned but never used. To each their own.

Last edited by jdunham; 01/08/23.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only pray my son appreciates them the way I do.
I sold two in my life time, one I bought back, but the old boy threw the box away.
The other is still being hunted by one of my dearest friends.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've sold quite a few rifles over the years, and mostly don't regret it, with a small handful of exceptions...wish I had them back!

Win M70 Classic Featherweight 3006...one of the last ones to come out of New Haven with factory installed aftermarket bottom metal
Win M70 Classic Featherweight 243
Win M70 1st Gen Stealth push feed in 223
Rem 700 VS in 223
Rem 700 VLS in 223
Rem 700 VLS in 6mm Rem

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 42 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.