Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I cant keep a rabbit on my 3 ac. plot of brush for nothing. I do have some brush pile though. I never thought of salt. I will give them plenty of salt this winter and put chunks of salt around the brush piles. Just 5 or 6 yrs. ago I had all kinds of rabbits. I shot 7 on a 3 ac. parcel behind my house and there were still a few around in spring . I figure , if I dont get them, the coyotes will. And come to think of it, I used to always put salt out for the deer and rabbits were always on the trail cam, but I have not put out salt in about 5 or six yrs. I imagine that is what was doing it. I never thought of salt.

Last edited by ihookem; 12/14/22.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ihookem
. . . I figure , if I dont get them, the coyotes will. . .

You can solve that problem with a few traps.

Just me- I like to eat rabbit, but the
thought of a coyote stew or fried
coyote doesn't appeal to me at all

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need a few more brush piles on my place and this layout provides some nice structure underneath them. Just sharpened the chainsaw blades so will get a few of these up in Jan/Feb. Need to kill some coyotes on same trips. Sure nice jumping a few cottontails when you are walking around. Seems like they are hanging in there around my place. And have a few coveys of quail so I do think the existing piles I just tossed together are also helping.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
On the state forest where I hunt in Virginia, the clear cut areas have huge swathes of piles of brush like that. The place is absolutely loaded with rabbits. I counted 17 one morning running in front of my truck on the road leading to the place where I park, and that was less than a two mile drive. I've never seen as many rabbits as I have this year.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/15/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Wildlife management is really pretty simple. They gotta have a safe place to live.........

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Ranger99
. . . I figure , if I dont get them, the coyotes will. . .

You can solve that problem with a few traps.

Just me- I like to eat rabbit, but the
thought of a coyote stew or fried
coyote doesn't appeal to me at all
Funny you say that .I have not had a fox or coyote on the trail cam since winter. Now that we got our 1st snow, sure enough, there are the fox tracks. I could have trapped them all fall but seemed there were none there and could not figure out why. I have a new trap I bought and didnt use it. I did however trap 15 coons this summer and thought that would help. I know they get baby rabbit nests too. Didint help at all. With all the coon trapped, I noticed more mice however. It is very hard to trap in frozen ground and I never did that. I did get a few fox when i was a kid though.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I cant keep a rabbit on my 3 ac. plot of brush for nothing. I do have some brush pile though. I never thought of salt. I will give them plenty of salt this winter and put chunks of salt around the brush piles. Just 5 or 6 yrs. ago I had all kinds of rabbits. I shot 7 on a 3 ac. parcel behind my house and there were still a few around in spring . I figure , if I dont get them, the coyotes will. And come to think of it, I used to always put salt out for the deer and rabbits were always on the trail cam, but I have not put out salt in about 5 or six yrs. I imagine that is what was doing it. I never thought of salt.
And don't leave as many possible spots for hawks to sit. Telephone poles right over brushpules won't help.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a worthwhile project! Nice old thread

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
I need a few more brush piles on my place and this layout provides some nice structure underneath them. Just sharpened the chainsaw blades so will get a few of these up in Jan/Feb. Need to kill some coyotes on same trips. Sure nice jumping a few cottontails when you are walking around. Seems like they are hanging in there around my place. And have a few coveys of quail so I do think the existing piles I just tossed together are also helping.
If you can get your hands on some pallets they make a great base for rabbit condos. Also help reduce the size of trees you need to drop for the bases if that's an issue. I like this document. Especially how it shows how to build in entry/exit for the bunnies.

https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Documents/brushpiles[1].pdf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually saw a youtube video with those. They would also work great I'd think. I didn't get that link to work but will watch for some extra pallets.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Looks like I got a new project for this summer at my cousins farm. Used to be a ton of rabbits and squirrels there but have seen a major decline in recent years. I have seen an increase in raptors of late.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any update? Did it help?

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Park a bunch of old cars out on a fence row and don’t mow around them. You’ll be covered up in rabbits!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I put out some salt but have not see a rabbit by it yet, just deer every night..I saw my first rabbit in the yard the other day though. I am sure it is the only one , but many times where there is 1 there is 2 ... I cant get a rabbit population no matter how hard I try...

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I put out some salt blocks out this spring and now am seeing a lot more rabbit tracks and a few more rabbits. I think the salt helped and will keep putting more out along with brush piles .

Last edited by ihookem; 12/04/23.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.