-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Any reco for a decent brand in terms of lumens and bulb longevity?

How many lumens from typical halogen bulbs?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless you have projector (ellipsoid) style headlights, they are a waste of money. Not to mention they blind oncoming traffic with uncontrolled beam scatter. O.E. LED headlights on newer cars are designed to put the light where it should be, older halogen based lights are not.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run Lasfit LED lights in my ‘22 Chev 2500D and love them. Nice a bright, huge upgrade from the factory halogen lights.

Rob
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by badger
Unless you have projector (ellipsoid) style headlights, they are a waste of money. Not to mention they blind oncoming traffic with uncontrolled beam scatter. O.E. LED headlights on newer cars are designed to put the light where it should be, older halogen based lights are not.
That’s a concern. From things I’ve been told, it sounded like it’s not an issue with newer bulbs.

This is for my ‘11 f250. Got one burned out and thought it a good time to upgrade. Don’t want to mess with changing housings.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last year I installed a pair of Beamtech H13's in my Dodge Ram. I did have to add decoders to prevent flickering. They fit just like a regular halogen bulb. The dims have a distinct cutoff for oncoming cars. Being a pickup, I drive with different loads which will change the light angle. When it's heavy, oncoming cars will get blasted but they do with other types of bulbs, too. It's the load, not the lights.
They greatly increased the brightness. The stock bulbs in this pickup were terrible. The brights were dimmer than the dims on most cars. Now I finally have some decent lights.

The stock halogens say they're 1000 lumens. These say 16000. They're much brighter but certainly not 16x brighter. I don't know how to compare them accurately.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I put Trueland lights from Amazon in my 22 F250. Nearly a year now, no complaints.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

My research has aligns with what Badger posted above, however YMMV.

Is a light bar, mounted on the front-end of the truck an option?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by harv3589
I run Lasfit LED lights in my ‘22 Chev 2500D and love them. Nice a bright, huge upgrade from the factory halogen lights.

Lasfit have good reviews

https://www.lasfit.com/collections/h4

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by StudDuck

My research has aligns with what Badger posted above, however YMMV.

Is a light bar, mounted on the front-end of the truck an option?
I was hoping (in one hand 🤔 ) that LED replacement bulbs for stock halogens had made a transition to direct replacement. Alas.

A light bar is for sure an option, and one I’ve procrastinated on. Low beams are just OK. It’s the throw from high beams that’s the issue.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was hoping (in one hand 🤔 ) that LED replacement bulbs for stock halogens had made a transition to direct replacement. Alas.

They have. Go to the Headlight Revolution website or YouTube channel. Plenty of educational videos about LED replacement bulbs and other options.

I bought a new F-250 in ‘21. Wanted the Quad beam LED’s but it he only way to get them was with certain packages in the 5 thousand dollar range. I bought it without them with the plan of simply replacing the bulbs with quality LED bulbs. The stock headlights are lame.

I replaced the bulbs with GTR Ultra2 bulbs. Watch the comparison videos on Headlight Revolution.
Great swap.

A friend bought a new truck with the Platinum Package the same month, so it was fully loaded with the Quad beams. We compared the two on a mountain side during an elk hunt this year and my replacements are better. Especially the fog lamps which are now like 2 extra headlights

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/17/22.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Unless you have projector (ellipsoid) style headlights, they are a waste of money.

I've read that on the internet on several forums. But the headlights on my 2014 F150 were terrible. I didn't realize how terrible until we bought a newer 2020 Explorer that my wife drives. After driving the Explorer at night, I had to try something.

I ordered a set of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XKSQQB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figured I've wasted $60 on worse ideas and decided to give them a try. They aren't in the same league as my Explorer but were a definite improvement. I could have spent several hundred for complete headlight assemblies and had better, but for the money I'm happy. They don't project light much farther down the road, but the light is white instead of yellow and is brighter.

The light beam is in a flat oval shape. The bulbs are adjustable. If you allow the light beam to be vertical it will blind other drivers. If adjusted so the beam is horizontal to the ground, it isn't any worse on other drivers than the factory bulbs. It was a simple job of just plugging them in.

I did order a set for my 2007 Tacoma. The new bulbs are longer. I had no trouble fitting them in my Ford, but the battery is in the way on one side and the wiper fluid tank on the other. They were a no-go on my Tacoma.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For those of you that upgraded, do you need to change out your fog lights too? Any interference or electrical issues running led headlamps and factory fogs? 2016 F250, NO daytime running lights. Thanks

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

They have. Go to the Headlight Revolution website or YouTube channel. Plenty of educational videos about LED replacement bulbs and other options.

I bought a new F-250 in ‘21. Wanted the Quad beam LED’s but it he only way to get them was with certain packages in the 5 thousand dollar range. I bought it without them with the plan of simply replacing the bulbs with quality LED bulbs. The stock headlights are lame.

I replaced the bulbs with GTR Ultra2 bulbs. Watch the comparison videos on Headlight Revolution.
Great swap.

A friend bought a new truck with the Platinum Package the same month, so it was fully loaded with the Quad beams. We compared the two on a mountain side during an elk hunt this year and my replacements are better. Especially the fog lamps which are now like 2 extra headlights

Yowsah they’re pricey. But I think I’ll try ‘em. Gotta polish lenses first - or try. RC you sound happy with them.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had really good luck using Katana LED bulbs. They have a good cutoff, don't blind oncoming drivers, and seem to work well in factory housings. I've put them in a 2010 Honda Accord, a 2017 Chevy Silverado, and a 2019 Nissan Frontier. All three vehicles had factory housings, and all three benefited greatly from the improved bulbs. Best part is, Katana bulbs only run $40 - $60 a pair on Amazon.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Razz, no interference of running LED headlight bulbs and halogen fog/driving lights. However in my opinion I think it looks kinda goofy because the headlights are nice and bright and white while the fog/driving lights are dim and have that yellow halogen dullness to them. Do both, you will be much happier with the look and you will also notice a difference with fog/driving lights done as well when driving at night.

Birddog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 264mag, 43 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,151
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.