Print Thread
Hop To
M
MOW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Anyone have a Savage 25 Walking Varmiter in 22 Hornet? I've seen a few videos on Youtube where they have feeding problems. Do all of them really feed that bad?

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you can find a 22 Hornet in a Ruger 77 its a much better rifle look on Guns International that Savage you are talking about is junk compared to the Ruger 77 and the Ruger has a clip /magazine too its neat.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
MOW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by pete53
if you can find a 22 Hornet in a Ruger 77 its a much better rifle look on Guns International that Savage you are talking about is junk compared to the Ruger 77 and the Ruger has a clip /magazine too its neat.

Is the 77/22 better than the 77/44? I have a 77/44 and it's not great, there is barely enough room between the bolt and scope when cycling rounds. Sometimes, it hit's my thumb and I not using a big scope, Leopold VX 3i 1.5-5x20. The magazine is very difficult to get in and out. Not sure why people like them, have you owned one or shot one?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one and it was a pain to feed anything. I sent it back to Savage and it wasn't any better when I got it back. I sent it down the road and I would not recommend one.

M
MOW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by barm
I had one and it was a pain to feed anything. I sent it back to Savage and it wasn't any better when I got it back. I sent it down the road and I would not recommend one.
Thanks for the first hand knowledge.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got one in a .222 I've not had any feeding problems but it's not the hornet you ask about. it's kind of long throat it also it's not kind of long throated it's just [bleep] long throated. but when you get the bullet seat where they need to be they will still go through the magazine in the gun shoots plenty good. the bolt lift which cocks the firing pin is quite heavy in stiff. I haven't shot it that much in a lot of stuff I read says it will smooth out. I took it apart and polished a few pieces and it done some good but not a lot. I'm sure glad I got a bargain on the gun and I would be highly disappointed if I'd paid full price.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by barm

I'd had great luck with a Savage Model 40, which is a single-shot bolt action 22 Hornet. That thing was super accurate, easy to feed, and reliable. So then I decided to try a Model 25 in 17 Hornet because I'd heard great things about that caliber. That rifle was garbage and the complete opposite of the model 40 - it was horribly inaccurate, wouldn't feed right from a magazine (rounds got jammed feeding in at too sharp an angle), and you couldn't really hand feed single-shots to avoid the bad magazine loading because it was too far in to reach. So I thought I must have gotten a lemon and bought another one - same issues! Sold those off at huge loss, got a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet and then ended up getting a bunch more CZ 527s because I liked them so well. Still do have the Savage model 40 but don't shoot it much as I prefer the 17H over 22H now.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know someone here has a Ruger 22hornet that shoots one hole 100 yard groups.
I had more than one of them and the accuracy was piss poor, after bolt shims, trigger jobs and other accuracy enhancements.
You couldn’t give me one of them.
I know nothing about the Savage.
If you want an accurate and reliable 22H, get an Anschutz. They are hard to find. I have two and they’re both well under 1” guns.

NRA Patron
M
MOW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thank you for everyone's experience with the Ruger and Savage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe look for a CZ on the used market.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Maybe look for a CZ on the used market.

Sometimes it’s just best to skip the crap and pay the piper at the outset. Browning Low Walls, and maybe newer Winchester-branded ones are out there, and prices on them and the CZs get closer all the time.

Anyone snagging a CZ had best snag some spare mags while they last. Hornet and .223 mags are still available at their online store, but the others are “iffy”. Who knows if they’ll ever make more? I grabbed four for my Howa Mini conversion unit.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I also have the model 25 in 222 and it is a dream to shoot no feeding problems and is extremely accurate. I just picked up the model 40 and havent had a chance to shoot it. I have ruger 77/22 hornet and also the cz 527 in hornet I like the 22 hornet. I wouldnt want to choose between those two as to which won I would have to get rid of. As others have said if you can I would look for a use d CZ or Ruger if you are reading of feeding issues.

F
F
Hornets...I've owned 3 Rugers, a blue standard barrel, and a stainless heavy barrel 77, and a #3. None of them were accurate enough for keepers. Also an early Kimber. It was only slightly better. I had pretty much decided the Hornet wasn't very inherently accurate. Now I have a CZ 527, that changed my mind. It is very accurate. And maybe I just got a good one, but it is an honest 1/2 MOA rifle. I've never owned any Browning or Anschutz rifles in Hornet.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a Savage 25 walking varminter in 17 Hornet. It feeds fine but fails to eject, it will extract the case just fine but then it comes off the bolt face and sits on top of the magazine. Savage sent me a new extractor and ejector which I put in and it did not solve the problem. I have also tried a lot more things to diagnose and fix it to no avail. We use it for plinking and jack rabbit hunting in the desert so I have kinda just lived with it as I do not want to lose any of my brass. I just reach in and pluck the brass out or if I am shooting on the bench I rotate the rifle 45 degrees to the right as I pull the bolt back and they fall out.

It is kind of annoying and if I used it for anything else or didn't need to be so careful with my brass I would send it back. But for what we use it for and how amazing it shoots I really don't want to send it back. The ergos and the rifle itself are awesome, it truly is a fantastic rifle for taking off with for small game and varmints. Savage customer service has been really good the whole time. I would for sure look for a used CZ and pay the extra dough, I don't think Savage has these 17/22 Hornets figured out in the 25 and the new prices I have seen are just too much to roll the dice.

Last edited by bmoney; 01/17/23.
M
MOW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Changed my mind, I'm having 218 Mashburn Bee barrel made for my H&R single shot.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have one in 17 hornet and have not had any issues. It is a great shooter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.