-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AGM's did not last any longer than regular lead acid batts for me. The Lithium batt is holding up fantastic though.

Last edited by jmp300wsm; 04/02/23.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Windfall
But does an AGM battery outlast a regular lead acid battery in an ATV? The Polaris is completely dead after four years even on at maintainer and it is a royal pain to replace that battery in the old Sportsman 400. Even on year three I couldn’t trust it and carried a Noco GB40 jump starting booster. The Kawasaki battery is under the seat where it should be and is a five minute change. Not so that Polaris.

Has for me - 2009 Polaris Sportsman, OEM battery 5 yrs, replacement AGM 9 yrs and counting.
Also had a 2004 Sportsman until fall of 2020 - 3 batteries: 1st two Polaris sourced lead acid, 3 to 5 yrs each. 3rd batt AGM, still going strong when I traded in the machine.

Last edited by MikeL2; 04/02/23.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
AGM's did not last any longer than regular lead acid batts for me. The Lithium batt is holding up fantastic though.
Lithium starter batteries not a good match where I am - poorer cold weather performance, although basing that on web research not actual use.
My NOCO lithium jump starter won't work below zero - self protection settings shut it off. AGMs have worked into minus 15-20F range no problem, haven't tried colder recently.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
harley davidson uses agm batteries and i found them to last usually 6-9 years with a 8 month riding season when kept on a tender...far longer than any lead acid battery over my 38 years working in a dealership

Last edited by gene270; 04/02/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Lithium starter batteries not a good match where I am - poorer cold weather performance, although basing that on web research not actual use.
My NOCO lithium jump starter won't work below zero - self protection settings shut it off. AGMs have worked into minus 15-20F range no problem, haven't tried colder recently.
I wouldn't have a Li starting battery in cold areas just for that reason. You can't charge them in the cold. They have a built-in battery acquaintance system that shuts down the recharging when it's too cold.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
LiPo4 battery I have on my camper has a heating pad inside.
It will warm up enough to take a charge from a solar panel on a sub-freezing but sunny day.

AGM working well with the Honda ATV.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Battery Tender has kept me from buying a new battery every year. I even run a tender on my mower now.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
YUASA, you can thank me later😉👍🏻

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My Polaris UTV had a Polaris labeled OEM battery that lasted 11 years amazingly. It finally crapped out a few weeks ago. Walmart has several levels of Everstart AGM's. I got the one with 385 CCA. The other's are 310 and lower. If it could start in gear, it would lay rubber. Now we'll see how long it lasts. I've had very good luck with Everstarts in other vehicles.
I use it for plowing snow so it gets some use in cold weather. We'll have some extended periods with no snow so I run it a few miles every few weeks to get the engine hot and charge up the battery. It also throws some oil around in the gears so they don't sit dry for months on end.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use interstate

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I wouldn't have a Li starting battery in cold areas just for that reason. You can't charge them in the cold. They have a built-in battery acquaintance system that shuts down the recharging when it's too cold.

Cold areas can be a problem for the lithium batteries if you don't have a heating pad. Just switched my 2008 Honda Rancher and 2012 Yamaha Zuma over to lithium batteries. I was shocked how much lighter they were. I thought they were empty or something. They are much more robust and should last a lot longer. They do take a special charger which I like because it is a lot lighter.

I switched my race car over to two lithium 16 volt batteries from two 16 volt AGM and they work a lot better. Have tons more capacity for the late rounds and recharge a lot quicker. The charger weighs about a tenth of what my 16 volt charger does also. Need to switch my RV over to a big lithium house battery for the overnight usage so I don't have to run the generator so much.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
I use interstate
from Wikipedia:

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a US privately owned battery marketing and distribution company. It markets automotive batteries manufactured by Brookfield Business Partners, Exide Technologies, and others through independent distributors.

Like all of the others, Interstate buys their batteries and has their label put on them. They don't make anything.

― George Orwell

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by hanco
I use interstate
from Wikipedia:

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a US privately owned battery marketing and distribution company. It markets automotive batteries manufactured by Brookfield Business Partners, Exide Technologies, and others through independent distributors.

Like all of the others, Interstate buys their batteries and has their label put on them. They don't make anything.

Well, learn me sumpthin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just don't buy a Smart Start AGM or whatever house brand O'Reilly's sells. Bought one and had it go dead in 2 days. Wouldn't give a refund on it so exchanged it. That one lasted a week or so. Used it about 3 months by hooking it up to a tender every night until even that wasn't enough to get it through the day. Finally took it back and made them refund it under warranty. Nothing but a headache.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
AGM ATV batteries are lucky to last 2 years in our Alaska cold, lead acid I got around 5 years in same conditions, both kept charged 2 times a month with a battery tender. Had 2 AGM Batteries fail in 2 years and both would not start the machine or keep it running after they were recharged, never had that issue with older lead acid batteries.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Just don't buy a Smart Start AGM or whatever house brand O'Reilly's sells. Bought one and had it go dead in 2 days. Wouldn't give a refund on it so exchanged it. That one lasted a week or so. Used it about 3 months by hooking it up to a tender every night until even that wasn't enough to get it through the day. Finally took it back and made them refund it under warranty. Nothing but a headache.
I have never seen a Super Start battery from O'Reilly last long at all.

Some brag on the warranty but that doesn't do a guy any good when he is dead in the water in the middle of BFE and no help around.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.