Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I'll be traveling to the RSA in June for a first safari. My greatest concern is international travel with firearms.

It has been recommended to hire Rifle Permits as the owner has an excellent reputation for getting you out of the airport, quickly, with minimal hassle from the RSA police. However, I'm seeing that the Africa Sky Guesthouse provides a rifle permits service as well (not sure if this is inclusive with their lodging rate though.)

Can anybody speak to their experience with guest houses handling your rifle permits? I would also be interested in hearing how the process went with Rifle Permits.

TIA,

KP

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Today I try to avoid JNB at all costs so I do not have any recent experience. However in the past I've used Africa Sky for both meet and greet and assistance with rifle permits. No complaints. Never overnighted at Africa Sky as I would generally stay at the City Lodge or InterContinental at the airport.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used Rifle Permits twice and the service was very good. I also stayed at the City Lodge at the airport because of the convenience. The accommodations were very nice.

H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Have used Africa Sky twice for permits,meet and greet and overnight stay.They are top notch,most recent trip was this past summer.
My wife and I are greenhorn travelers,Africa Sky made JNB easy.
The charge for each service is separate and it is well worth it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Been several times, Africa Sky is hard to beat IMO for the services mentioned above. City Lodge is very convenient, and in that case use Rifle Permits, once again mentioned above. I will also bypass JBurg altogether next time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I almost always borrow/rent rifles on my overseas hunts-for multiple reasons-but that is beside the point.

I have stayed at Africa Sky House and the staff there had a huge safe they stored other hunter’s rifles in for the night, and also helped with getting them through firearms control at the airport. It looked to be absolutely zero issue for them and they have the process down pat, as they lodge hunters on a daily basis.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've stayed at Africa Sky and thought it was good. However, my rifle permits were handled through Gracy Travel so I have no experience with Africa Sky's rifle permit service. You definitely want a service to get your rifles through customs etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My last trip i always stay at the city lodge to over night. I learned that a while back and it gives me a nice chance to catch up on some very needed sleep.

I book by flights with Gracy travel and they do my rifle permits. With that said…. Very top notch by the way. I was in contact with Bruce from Gracy and that made texting easy to meet up.

On my last trip another hunter used “Rifle Permits”. I was through the airport and checked into my room at the city lodge. Wend down to the front desk and the “Rifle Permits” group forgot to book his room. So over i head to the airport and the Firearms room to find the second hunter. Dang he was still in line waiting to be processed. Then we walk over to the city lodge and he is able to find a room and check in.

So we I have our rooms. I am waiting on another hunter to join in and I head back to the airport to meet up. We have a dinner and call it quits for he evening.

Next day i am up and down having breakfast at the city lodge and it is nearing time to head over to the airport to check, Gracy (Bruce) is there to get me and Rifle permits person is not around. I round up the other 2 guys and we walk over and check in. From what i know the rifle permits person never showed up, just my take. So you need to know what your are doing at check in.

Same on our return flight from Namibia, Gracy’s (Bruce) was there to walk me through all checking and helped the hunter as Rifle permits was not there.

Bruce did get a nice tip for the additional help that he provided.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have used AfricaSky for my rifle permits and first night stay for two safaris. They have been excellent. I strongly suggest that you pay an extra 100 dollars for the VIP Meet and Greet service. You will be met at the jetway and guided through the airport with no worries. Thank me later.

NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used rifle permits multiple times they do a good job. But Mr X from Afton is the best by far he gets your in and out faster than any other service.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bwana338
My last trip i always stay at the city lodge to over night. I learned that a while back and it gives me a nice chance to catch up on some very needed sleep.

I book by flights with Gracy travel and they do my rifle permits. With that said…. Very top notch by the way. I was in contact with Bruce from Gracy and that made texting easy to meet up.

On my last trip another hunter used “Rifle Permits”. I was through the airport and checked into my room at the city lodge. Wend down to the front desk and the “Rifle Permits” group forgot to book his room. So over i head to the airport and the Firearms room to find the second hunter. Dang he was still in line waiting to be processed. Then we walk over to the city lodge and he is able to find a room and check in.

So we I have our rooms. I am waiting on another hunter to join in and I head back to the airport to meet up. We have a dinner and call it quits for he evening.

Next day i am up and down having breakfast at the city lodge and it is nearing time to head over to the airport to check, Gracy (Bruce) is there to get me and Rifle permits person is not around. I round up the other 2 guys and we walk over and check in. From what i know the rifle permits person never showed up, just my take. So you need to know what your are doing at check in.

Same on our return flight from Namibia, Gracy’s (Bruce) was there to walk me through all checking and helped the hunter as Rifle permits was not there.

Bruce did get a nice tip for the additional help that he provided.
Bruce is great! He was very helpful on our last trip through Johannesburg to Mozambique.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by NTO
I have used rifle permits multiple times they do a good job. But Mr X from Afton is the best by far he gets your in and out faster than any other service.
I stayed at Afton this past summer on a trip. They and Mr X handled everything smoothly on the way over and coming back. Highly recommend them.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
African Sky is a great place to stay; usually you will find that about half the guests are hunters in transit and it’s nice to sit around the fire and bullshit. Same could be said of Afton’s. That said, I’ve been staying at City Lodge for the last 4 trips, only for the convenience factor. Since I quit taking my own rifle about 15 years ago, I have no opinion on permitting service.

Last edited by jdollar; 01/10/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Afton House and Mr. X lost my rifle permit, the SAP were not amused. Mr. X tried to get the permit faxed over, no dice, he had to go to Afton House to get it. Two extra hours in the airport. Booked a room at the Afton House, they over booked and we were shuffled off to Eland House that was owned by a very nice South African Greek. The steak dinner at Afton House sucked also! Never again!

Now I know why African Sky was booked!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I stayed at Afton House when I arrived in Joberg for several of my African hunts. My experiences with their Meet and Greet services was nothing but great. Mr X (?) always got me to the head of the lines and it was smooth sailing through SAPS.

On one trip, I overnighted at Afton and was scheduled to fly to Kimberly the next morning. I got my time mixed up and was leisurely eating breakfast when Annalise (?) came in and said that I was susposed to be at the airport right then. Mr X (?) rushed me to the airport, got me to the head of the check-in line, and my rifle, bags, and I made the flight.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I stayed at African Sky, to experience the same place, that hundreds of hunters ,heading into the bush stayed . The meet and greet was great. Had a good time there.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sako76
Afton House and Mr. X lost my rifle permit, the SAP were not amused. Mr. X tried to get the permit faxed over, no dice, he had to go to Afton House to get it. Two extra hours in the airport. Booked a room at the Afton House, they over booked and we were shuffled off to Eland House that was owned by a very nice South African Greek. The steak dinner at Afton House sucked also! Never again!

Now I know why African Sky was booked!

I had to go to the Eland house too. My room was pretty rough and the breakfast was terrible but tge old Greek guy was interesting. I also went to Afton for the dinner and wasn't impressed at all for the price.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
On the last two trips I overnighted at the City Lodge and the convenience can't be beat. On the latest trip Bruce from Gracy Travel handled my permits and everything was smooth. I had a fixer help me in Harare as well.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The steak dinner at Anton House is overpriced and basically poor unless you need the exercise chewing a boot sole…..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aren't there two Africa Sky locations in Joberg ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.