Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

Does anyone here know anything about the National German Wirehaired Pointer Rescue organization? A few years ago, my dad lost his long-time companion, a German Wirehaired Pointer, basically to old age. Despite his own health issues and advice to the contrary, my dad decided to get a GWP puppy several months ago, and it's not working out as his health continues to decline.

It would be in the best interest of both my dad and the dog to find a new home for the puppy, and I think my dad is slowly coming around to this same conclusion. For various reasons, I can't adopt the puppy myself, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to place the dog in a good home.

I don't really know much about the dog's training (or lack thereof), tempermant, personality, house training, etc., so I'm reluctant to just put it up for sale or adoption in a local newspaper, for example, without being able to honestly address these issues and answer any questions that might come up. I don't have any friends or family that want a new puppy at the moment.

This led me to the National German Wirehaired Pointer Rescue organization. I might contact them soon to see if they would be willing to help find my dad's dog a new home. I don't have any knowledge about the organization or organizations like it, so I thought I would ask folks here for advice as to whether it is a good organization to work with and, most important, whether it's an organization that would take good care of the dog.

Thank you.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin, I'd take it but I'm way up in Canada. They are my favourite breed them and drathars, there's supposed to be a difference. If ya can keep him in anyway you won't be dissapointed!!! GWP. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‘πŸ»

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How old is it? Does it have a good pedigree?
You might want to place an ad on
https://gundogcentral.com/
to see if anyone is interested in it if you want it to go to a hunting home.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies. I am not exactly sure how old the dog is, but my guess is six to eight months old, give or take. I don't know anything about her pedigree, but I'll find out soon when I get more involved placing the dog in a new home. My dad has owned gun dogs for decades, and he was always very particular about their pedigrees. In fact, one of the first "grown-up" books he gave me to read when I was a kid was Wing and Shot by Robert G. Wehle.

With that said, I don't think my dad's retirement income has kept pace with the price of good dogs, so there could be some drop off in the dog's pedigree considering what he is willing to pay for a dog these days (probably around $1k).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you contacted the breeder he got it from? If the breeder is "responsible" he'll take the dog back with no questions asked. Keep in mind you probably won't get a refund but a rescue group won't pay anything for her either.

The breeder should have known better than to sell a pup that will outlive the buyer

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I wouldn't blame the breeder for selling a pup to an old man. Only God knows the date and time of when any creature is to pass and sometimes pups die way too early and men live too long.

I hope there can be a great home found for the dog. If you can't find somewhere close for it and you can get it to Iowa I will take it and give it a good home. I really prefer GSPs, but I knew a GWP once that someone else owned and it was a tremendous dog. He retrieved doves like none other.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just an update on Tipper the GWP that was looking for a new home. This past Saturday I met CoalCracker in Ohio and brought Tipper back to Michigan. She has new home and will be my male shorthair's partner in crime in the grouse woods of northern MI. She is a great dog, has a wonderful personality and is settling in.

Really looking forward to her first season this year and many more in the future.

In addition to getting a great dog, met an even better person. I really appreciate everything he has done.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you, 17Hunter, for stepping up and welcoming Tipper into your wonderful family. We are truly grateful that you were willing to take a chance to give Tipper a new lease on life. My family and I could not have hoped for a better outcome, and I know Tipper will be well cared for.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,486
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.