Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He ain’t in the current issue of Handloader!

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's because I retired from Wolfe Publishing this fall--after I'd written my last article for the 2022 issues of Handloader and Rifle. Have been semi-retiring for about four years now, one market at a time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's because I retired from Wolfe Publishing this fall--after I'd written my last article for the 2022 issues of Handloader and Rifle. Have been semi-retiring for about four years now, one market at a time.
but still answers questions here with great knowledge ...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
For that I am very grateful!

GOA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Will still post here, but only be writing regularly for Sports Afield and Rifle Loony News. Though right now am working on one for the 2024 Gun Digest annual, and may do occasional articles for other publications--if they interest me.

As my friend Charlie Waterman once noted. "Older writers almost never really retire. They just write less." Charlie was still doing a monthly column for one magazine when he passed away at 92.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mother in Law kept up my subscription to Rifle/Handloader for years. She eventually let it lapse for about a decade and I had hit a point I felt like I was re-reading a lot of the same info. (Mule Deer was nowhere near as bad as some when it came to repetition).

She re-upped the subscription this year. Got my first Handloader the other day. I had even read Mule Deer had retired and was still disappointed to not see his article there.

He and Ross Seyfried will always be my two favorite gun writers. Brian Pierce rolls in at #2 (maybe he’ll keep writing for a while).

Congratulations Mule Deer! You’ve more than earned it! Thank you so much for the knowledge you imparted on those pages! FWIW, the #1A 7x57 in my safe is there just because of the pic you had in an article with yours leaning on a backpack about 20 years ago!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
He ain’t in the current issue of Handloader!

He’s still writing full-time where it matters the most at RIFLE LOONY NEWS, which IMO is great since I believe John does his best work there. BTW, rumor has it that he’s working on an exposé style book with a draft working title of “My Live Around the Campfire – Insights into the Gun Industry.” Sort of cross between O’Connor’s “Confessions of a Gun Editor” and Busse’s “Gunfight”. It sounds like a best seller to me… wink

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Still on the masthead…..

Can’t begrudge him his retirement. I’m less than a year older, and haven’t hit a lick in 12 1/2 years😜

He’s long overdue.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll miss your articles, Mule Deer!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
John,
Congratulations on your (semi) retirement! You've provided many hours of enjoyment and a wealth of knowledge with your articles--always the first article I read every month.
Rifle and Handloader won't be the same without you.

I'll have to subscribe to Rifle Loony News.

-Mike

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on your retirement. Please don’t let “retirement rot” set in to your writing.
By that I mean trailing edge repetition of concepts that are moving things forward in the field.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
All the gun mags have worn out the same old articles year after year anyway. Read and re-read Gun Gacks and you’ll be up to speed!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you planning on continuing to write for Sports Afield for a while?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Are you planning on continuing to write for Sports Afield for a while?

A long while I hope!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know the first thing about the writing/publishing industry...but in almost 55 years in the metal trades workplace, breaking in new management or a new boss is tiresome in the extreme. The new leader, the younger, eager beaver, new broom sweeps clean types, no matter how brilliant or educated, wants to win his spurs and prove himself rapidly. Which is as it should be, any business should not stagnate, but the smarter young men will ask their staff...why do we do it this way? Can we improve on this? The hard charger type A's ask nothing and innovate change for change's sake...usually ending in a schidtshow and another rapid management change, starting the cycle all over again. I hope Wolfe's staff is not exposed to this, it's not fun. The history of the decline of the American Rifleman mag is a case in point...from the gold standard of excellence in the industry to a participation trophy in 20 years.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Is this another way of admitting to an increased level of maturity? GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the winter weather has been at least tolerable down in your chunk of Montana and that you and Eileen are well.

Congratulations on the "semi-retirement", you've certainly earned it in my view though for sure as others have said I'll miss your work in the Wolfe stuff.

Since I've just renewed my subscription to both Rifle Loonie News and Sports Afield I'll still be able to keep up with your current work too.

All the best to you both this year and again congrats.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
with John Barsness retiring what i see is going to happen the days of the older wood stock rifles and not as popular cartridges stories will probably be a thing of the past. John you had very educational gun stories and just a great read i will mis those stories. > so guys be ready the future stories from these newer writers we be reading more about black guns and new cartridges . John enjoy your retirement time and if you do get bored > well maybe another Gun Gack ? Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It had gotten to the point where the only reason I'd buy a copy of Handloader or Rifle was if JB wrote about something that caught my fancy. The last copy of Rifle I bought had John's article about rifle triggers which I found interesting, but the entire rest of the magazine left me yawning, figuring I wasted $9. Pearce is ok but he ain't JB, I like Terry Wieland's stuff a lot and that's a plus, but Venturino hasn't written much new original stuff in a long time. The rest of their regulars are largely strangers to me, except Simpson and he seems to be on a never ending "Magnum kick".

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/11/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been watching a good bit of Jeremiah, hat and all, on Handloader TV, and he seems pretty meticulous and knowledgable for a young man. His mag pieces are good too. I’ll continue to subscribe to the magazines, unless they replace John with Jim Zumbo or Dick Metcalf I guess. I let my subscription to SA lapse, as most of the hunting stuff is beyond my experience and reach. I can get John’s stuff on their website sooner or later.

Best of luck, John.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.