-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the alternate writers mentioned are no John Barsness. frown But to their credit, they're no Lee J. Hoots either. smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess I'm jaded/spoiled, having come of age reading the likes O'Connor, Keith, Page, and later on Carmichel, C.E. Harris, early Simpson, Seyfried, et al. JB, for me, fit in with them and bridged the gap with his smooth writing style and keen grasp of tech. Being John's age myself, I don't see myself seeking out a new "hero", for lack of a better term. I'll ride off into the sunset re-reading the old greats, with but a nod to the new guys so as not to be a total stick-in-the-mud!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You did an article in the October 2018 Handloader for the M1 Garand. I have used your loads in my M1 and I find them nicely accurate. My favorite is 48 grains of Varget. You used a 150 grain Winchester power point. I use a 150 grain Hornady soft point and 150 grain Hornady FMJ's. I'm not getting the .88" groups you did but I don't have your shooting history. I just know that the load works well in the M1 Garand and the 1903 and is nicely accurate for my needs. Thank you.

Congrats on your wanna be, kinda, semi retirement.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm disappointed, but understand! Guess I'll be saving some money as I'll not renew my subscription to these two magazines. John's articles were the only ones I looked forward to reading. THANKS JOHN, for years of enjoyable reads.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by Pappy348
He ain’t in the current issue of Handloader!

He’s still writing full-time where it matters the most at RIFLE LOONY NEWS, which IMO is great since I believe John does his best work there. BTW, rumor has it that he’s working on an exposé style book with a draft working title of “My Live Around the Campfire – Insights into the Gun Industry.” Sort of cross between O’Connor’s “Confessions of a Gun Editor” and Busse’s “Gunfight”. It sounds like a best seller to me… wink

Can we pre-order it?

Jim
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The first thing you learn about retirement is that your brain didn't join you in the lapse in daily responsibility.
That's why old men are so cantankerous, Excessive brain activity with inadequate output.

Welcome to Geezer-hood John. A new Apprenticeship.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks! I've been easing into it for a few years, and so far like it....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks! I've been easing into it for a few years, and so far like it....

> GOOD FOR YOU ! <

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks!

Will still post here, but only be writing regularly for Sports Afield and Rifle Loony News. Though right now am working on one for the 2024 Gun Digest annual, and may do occasional articles for other publications--if they interest me.

As my friend Charlie Waterman once noted. "Older writers almost never really retire. They just write less." Charlie was still doing a monthly column for one magazine when he passed away at 92.

This post just gave me an urge to re-read Gun dogs and Bird Guns.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, Charlie was a fine writer, with a lot of experience. He definitely influenced me in many ways, both in his straightforward yet subtle style, and his sense of humor.

We corresponded for a while before I actually met him, on our first trip to Florida in 1986. (As you no doubt know, he and Debie spent winter/spring in Florida and summer/fall in Montana.) We went bass fishing together in early April, when the water was still pretty cool, fly-fishing with poppers. He was rowing the boat while I fished, and after my first cast he said, "Good. Now work it faster, like an amateur bass-fisherman...."

After that we got together in Montana just once, for a visit. This was when they were about to sell their place and quit "migrating" (as Charlie called it). At the time we had two bird dogs, which we brought along, and told Charlie and Debie they were named Keith and O'Connor--and they BOTH laughed!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by mcknight77
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by Pappy348
He ain’t in the current issue of Handloader!

He’s still writing full-time where it matters the most at RIFLE LOONY NEWS, which IMO is great since I believe John does his best work there. BTW, rumor has it that he’s working on an exposé style book with a draft working title of “My Live Around the Campfire – Insights into the Gun Industry.” Sort of cross between O’Connor’s “Confessions of a Gun Editor” and Busse’s “Gunfight”. It sounds like a best seller to me… wink

Can we pre-order it?

It's already out of print. frown

I was warned, but I am here anyway.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Funny.
I loved a line in a chapter Charlie wrote about chukar hunting, the first line of the chapter if memory recalls. Something to the effect of “All my chukar hunting guns are beat up and scarred”. I’d often think of this while selecting a shotgun for chukar hunting. I’d be hell bent on taking a Mossberg 500 until I got to my gun safe and couldn’t resist taking my Berretta or Browning SxS. Now I have dents and scratches on them and not the 500.

H. Babcock
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I always read your articles first, thanks for the great work you have done all these years. We salute you!! Enjoy your retirement, it’s nice, took me 6 months to get used to it but like it now.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Congratulations on your retirement from Wolfe. Hopefully, they gave you a gold watch. Or maybe Polacek's cowboy hat? 😃
I will definitely subscribe to Rifle Looney News now. I enjoyed the gift subscription I got with my purchase of GG3.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jackpinesav,

Thanks! Glad you're liking RLN.

John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
People will ask “ What are you gonna do now”. Tell them
“ Whatever I want, but I ain’t gonna start until after lunch”

I stole that from Thomas “ Hollywood “ Henderson’s Wiki. He is 69 like us.

He allegedly said that after he won 28 million dollars in the Texas lottery.

Last edited by hanco; 01/12/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, yeah... can we start talking about Gun Gack 5 yet? (LOL)
Congrats John - enjoy yourself.
Rex

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe you'll find time to do some shooting now!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
When I retired I found that it's best to go to bed knowing what I'm going to do tomorrow.

H. Babcock
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yaddio,

Don't have any problem with that at all--just know that I don't have TOO MUCH to do tomorrow. That's how it seemed for quite a while....

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.