Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have enjoyed reading you sir. I'm a young pup compared to many here, early 30s. But started getting boxes of old hunting and shooting magazines from a couple great- uncles when I was old enough to start reading.

Then as they passed I started getting my own subscriptions.

I grew up reading your stuff and was no doubt influenced by you many times.

Enjoy the retirement.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 01/16/23.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Good to know that a younger reader likes reading my stuff.

But as pointed out earlier, am not fully retired, just writing less!

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got a stack of Rifle'n Handloader mags to read, if I ever get new glasses? smile

Old boy I knew, wrote a weekly conservation news column for a few rural PA weeklies, then suddenly disappeared. Didn't always agree with his views, but enjoyed reading his stuff for years. Found out his trusty Brother word processor had died and since he was in his early 80s, hung it up. According to his kin, refused to use a computer and printer.

Then one day his column appeared again. Come to find out they'd scoured the country for a functional Brother word processor. That lasted him until he cashed in his chips, I think?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks!

Good to know that a younger reader likes reading my stuff.

But as pointed out earlier, am not fully retired, just writing less!

John

John, I realize nothing good lasts forever, and I've lamented for a while this day was coming. It appears that your Handloader article on the .350 Legend and your Rifle article on triggers are your last appearances at Wolfe. Will you occasionally free-lance there? If so, I request something along the lines of your take on "The Joy of Handloading" or a career perspective such as "I Was a Rifle Loony Before Rifle Loonies Were Cool." Give us JB fans a proper send-off, so to speak. Even though I still have RLN and future Gack volumes to look forward to, some of your other Wolfe fans may not.

Just a thought.

Greg Perry

Last edited by gaperry59; 01/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Have enjoyed reading you sir. I'm a young pup compared to many here, early 30s. But started getting boxes of old hunting and shooting magazines from a couple great- uncles when I was old enough to start reading.

Enjoy the retirement.

-Jake
He's your Jack O'Connor.....a worthy crown. We will all miss his skilled writing!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations Mule Deer on your semi retirement. I hope you get to do the things you enjoy.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you can find it and determine the date, that would certainly help. Over the decades I probably wrote over 500 articles for Rifle, since for a while I was working exclusively for Wolfe--and writing at least a technical column, a feature and the back page for each issue of the magazine.

Still looking
Found a bunch of my saved Brian Pierce and Ross
Seyfried articles, and some of the knives I had
in a box from the last move. Probably have some
of the original Buck Selector blades for trade soon

I'll look some more ASAP

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

Enjoy the retirement.

-Jake
He's your Jack O'Connor.....a worthy crown. We will all miss his skilled writing!

I suppose so. I never read magazines, at least that I remember, that had O'Connor. I've only read library books by him. Sheep and Sheep hunting, The hunting Rifle, and probably a few others I can't remember right now. I devoured everything hunting and shooting related in our small local library when I was growing up.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That's because I retired from Wolfe Publishing this fall--after I'd written my last article for the 2022 issues of Handloader and Rifle. Have been semi-retiring for about four years now, one market at a time.

Congratulations on your semi-retirement!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks!

Will still post here, but only be writing regularly for Sports Afield and Rifle Loony News. Though right now am working on one for the 2024 Gun Digest annual, and may do occasional articles for other publications--if they interest me.

As my friend Charlie Waterman once noted. "Older writers almost never really retire. They just write less." Charlie was still doing a monthly column for one magazine when he passed away at 92.
Good to know you'll be in SA. A stellar magazine, and your pieces in the current issue were spot on, as usual.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Good to know you'll be in SA. A stellar magazine, and your pieces in the current issue were spot on, as usual.

Glad you liked 'em! I enjoy writing for SA, as it allows a much wider range of subject matter than most "pure" gun magazines.

Some other comments on other posts:

Greg Perry, am sorry, but there won't be a send-off article in Wolfe---partly because I'm already getting busier again, due to working for www.riflesandrecipes.com in ways other than just writing. Eileen developed the website and associated book-publish company, but pretty much ran it by herself for well over a decade--which is the main reason I could retire from Wolfe. So now I'm helping her more!

Scotty, I am planning to do some of the things I used to do more of before getting into gun writing. One is fishing--which I used to do a lot, and wrote about as well, especially flyfishing. But in the 1990s hunting/gun writing started paying significantly more than fishing writing, so I quit writing about fishing. Eileen and I were kind of relieved, because then we could go fishing without having to take photos for articles, or be thinking of "story angles." Instead we could just go fish and relax.

But instead we went fishing far less, since I was far busier writing hunting/gun stuff. In fact, often my only fishing during entire years was outside Montana--when I was on a hunting trip to, say, Alaska. After getting the big game, I could catch salmon, grayling trout or whatever. (This isone reason I have several take-down fly rods that will fit alongside my rifle inside its airline case.) So we're gonna do more fishing!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John - thanks for all the great articles and books over the years and I look forward to reading more of them.

Thanks for editing my grizzly hunt article and helping me get it published.

I've gone on to have a lot of articles "published" online, mostly because you got me re-started with that 2017 bear hunt article. Thanks. smile

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cascade
John - thanks for all the great articles and books over the years and I look forward to reading more of them.

Thanks for editing my grizzly hunt article and helping me get it published.

I've gone on to have a lot of articles "published" online, mostly because you got me re-started with that 2017 bear hunt article. Thanks. smile

Regards, Guy

And here I was thinking you were only a YouTube star.

I’d try reading your stuff if I kew where to find it. Hint.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guy,

Was happy to do that--as I have been with several other aspiring writers/

But you were pretty much a natural storyteller anyway, so I suspect you'd have figured it out pretty well on your own!

You coming through Montana again anytime soon?

Good hunting,
John

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Guy,

Was happy to do that--as I have been with several other aspiring writers/

But you were pretty much a natural storyteller anyway, so I suspect you'd have figured it out pretty well on your own!

You coming through Montana again anytime soon?

Good hunting,
John

Hmm, considering a photo/fly fishing/camping trip near Wyoming & Grand Tetons about September or so, but that's about it for heading that way this coming year unless the "Safari Rifle Championship" is held in Libby again. I hope it is! smile

Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We'll probably be around in September. Let's see what happens!

John Steinbeck
J
J
So glad you're OK! AND retired too....!
I was getting worried.... but the best of luck to you!
You were the primary reason that subscribed to both Wolfe's rags.
Still, they have good writers and articles... but I'll miss yours the most.

I'm about a year or so out myself from starting on the government's dole.....

Maybe by that time powder, primer, and bullet prices will come down some, and I can start shooting again.
And maybe have a better "leader" in DC. (Before the dung hits the fan!)

Good luck always and I'll start looking for your other great pieces in the other magazines that you mentioned! A few that I never heard of before.... Joe

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Suspect you'll enjoy your upcoming retirement! So far my semi-retirement is doing OK--though since I'm still writing a little, some periods are more retired than others!

It turned out my article for Gun Digest 2024 didn't work out. The editor really liked it, but the company buys all rights to articles--meaning they can reprint forever without paying me anything. I haven't signed a contract like that in many years, so told them they weren't getting it.

Instead will be running the article in the May edition of Rifle Loony News, the on-line quarterly that Eileen and I publish on our website www.riflesandrecipes.com.

It's a long piece about the sudden increase in factory .17-caliber rifle cartridges in the 21st century, including handloading info and what hunting each .17 works for.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Now we're really looking forward to May's RLN

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Golden Years

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.