Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
He ain’t in the current issue of Handloader!

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's because I retired from Wolfe Publishing this fall--after I'd written my last article for the 2022 issues of Handloader and Rifle. Have been semi-retiring for about four years now, one market at a time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's because I retired from Wolfe Publishing this fall--after I'd written my last article for the 2022 issues of Handloader and Rifle. Have been semi-retiring for about four years now, one market at a time.
but still answers questions here with great knowledge ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For that I am very grateful!

GOA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Will still post here, but only be writing regularly for Sports Afield and Rifle Loony News. Though right now am working on one for the 2024 Gun Digest annual, and may do occasional articles for other publications--if they interest me.

As my friend Charlie Waterman once noted. "Older writers almost never really retire. They just write less." Charlie was still doing a monthly column for one magazine when he passed away at 92.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mother in Law kept up my subscription to Rifle/Handloader for years. She eventually let it lapse for about a decade and I had hit a point I felt like I was re-reading a lot of the same info. (Mule Deer was nowhere near as bad as some when it came to repetition).

She re-upped the subscription this year. Got my first Handloader the other day. I had even read Mule Deer had retired and was still disappointed to not see his article there.

He and Ross Seyfried will always be my two favorite gun writers. Brian Pierce rolls in at #2 (maybe he’ll keep writing for a while).

Congratulations Mule Deer! You’ve more than earned it! Thank you so much for the knowledge you imparted on those pages! FWIW, the #1A 7x57 in my safe is there just because of the pic you had in an article with yours leaning on a backpack about 20 years ago!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348

He’s still writing full-time where it matters the most at RIFLE LOONY NEWS, which IMO is great since I believe John does his best work there. BTW, rumor has it that he’s working on an exposé style book with a draft working title of “My Live Around the Campfire – Insights into the Gun Industry.” Sort of cross between O’Connor’s “Confessions of a Gun Editor” and Busse’s “Gunfight”. It sounds like a best seller to me… wink

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Still on the masthead…..

Can’t begrudge him his retirement. I’m less than a year older, and haven’t hit a lick in 12 1/2 years😜

He’s long overdue.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll miss your articles, Mule Deer!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
John,
Congratulations on your (semi) retirement! You've provided many hours of enjoyment and a wealth of knowledge with your articles--always the first article I read every month.
Rifle and Handloader won't be the same without you.

I'll have to subscribe to Rifle Loony News.

-Mike

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on your retirement. Please don’t let “retirement rot” set in to your writing.
By that I mean trailing edge repetition of concepts that are moving things forward in the field.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
All the gun mags have worn out the same old articles year after year anyway. Read and re-read Gun Gacks and you’ll be up to speed!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you planning on continuing to write for Sports Afield for a while?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Are you planning on continuing to write for Sports Afield for a while?

A long while I hope!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know the first thing about the writing/publishing industry...but in almost 55 years in the metal trades workplace, breaking in new management or a new boss is tiresome in the extreme. The new leader, the younger, eager beaver, new broom sweeps clean types, no matter how brilliant or educated, wants to win his spurs and prove himself rapidly. Which is as it should be, any business should not stagnate, but the smarter young men will ask their staff...why do we do it this way? Can we improve on this? The hard charger type A's ask nothing and innovate change for change's sake...usually ending in a schidtshow and another rapid management change, starting the cycle all over again. I hope Wolfe's staff is not exposed to this, it's not fun. The history of the decline of the American Rifleman mag is a case in point...from the gold standard of excellence in the industry to a participation trophy in 20 years.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Is this another way of admitting to an increased level of maturity? GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the winter weather has been at least tolerable down in your chunk of Montana and that you and Eileen are well.

Congratulations on the "semi-retirement", you've certainly earned it in my view though for sure as others have said I'll miss your work in the Wolfe stuff.

Since I've just renewed my subscription to both Rifle Loonie News and Sports Afield I'll still be able to keep up with your current work too.

All the best to you both this year and again congrats.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
with John Barsness retiring what i see is going to happen the days of the older wood stock rifles and not as popular cartridges stories will probably be a thing of the past. John you had very educational gun stories and just a great read i will mis those stories. > so guys be ready the future stories from these newer writers we be reading more about black guns and new cartridges . John enjoy your retirement time and if you do get bored > well maybe another Gun Gack ? Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It had gotten to the point where the only reason I'd buy a copy of Handloader or Rifle was if JB wrote about something that caught my fancy. The last copy of Rifle I bought had John's article about rifle triggers which I found interesting, but the entire rest of the magazine left me yawning, figuring I wasted $9. Pearce is ok but he ain't JB, I like Terry Wieland's stuff a lot and that's a plus, but Venturino hasn't written much new original stuff in a long time. The rest of their regulars are largely strangers to me, except Simpson and he seems to be on a never ending "Magnum kick".

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/11/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been watching a good bit of Jeremiah, hat and all, on Handloader TV, and he seems pretty meticulous and knowledgable for a young man. His mag pieces are good too. I’ll continue to subscribe to the magazines, unless they replace John with Jim Zumbo or Dick Metcalf I guess. I let my subscription to SA lapse, as most of the hunting stuff is beyond my experience and reach. I can get John’s stuff on their website sooner or later.

Best of luck, John.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the alternate writers mentioned are no John Barsness. frown But to their credit, they're no Lee J. Hoots either. smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess I'm jaded/spoiled, having come of age reading the likes O'Connor, Keith, Page, and later on Carmichel, C.E. Harris, early Simpson, Seyfried, et al. JB, for me, fit in with them and bridged the gap with his smooth writing style and keen grasp of tech. Being John's age myself, I don't see myself seeking out a new "hero", for lack of a better term. I'll ride off into the sunset re-reading the old greats, with but a nod to the new guys so as not to be a total stick-in-the-mud!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You did an article in the October 2018 Handloader for the M1 Garand. I have used your loads in my M1 and I find them nicely accurate. My favorite is 48 grains of Varget. You used a 150 grain Winchester power point. I use a 150 grain Hornady soft point and 150 grain Hornady FMJ's. I'm not getting the .88" groups you did but I don't have your shooting history. I just know that the load works well in the M1 Garand and the 1903 and is nicely accurate for my needs. Thank you.

Congrats on your wanna be, kinda, semi retirement.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm disappointed, but understand! Guess I'll be saving some money as I'll not renew my subscription to these two magazines. John's articles were the only ones I looked forward to reading. THANKS JOHN, for years of enjoyable reads.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

He’s still writing full-time where it matters the most at RIFLE LOONY NEWS, which IMO is great since I believe John does his best work there. BTW, rumor has it that he’s working on an exposé style book with a draft working title of “My Live Around the Campfire – Insights into the Gun Industry.” Sort of cross between O’Connor’s “Confessions of a Gun Editor” and Busse’s “Gunfight”. It sounds like a best seller to me… wink

Can we pre-order it?

Jim
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The first thing you learn about retirement is that your brain didn't join you in the lapse in daily responsibility.
That's why old men are so cantankerous, Excessive brain activity with inadequate output.

Welcome to Geezer-hood John. A new Apprenticeship.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks! I've been easing into it for a few years, and so far like it....

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

> GOOD FOR YOU ! <

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Thanks!

Will still post here, but only be writing regularly for Sports Afield and Rifle Loony News. Though right now am working on one for the 2024 Gun Digest annual, and may do occasional articles for other publications--if they interest me.

As my friend Charlie Waterman once noted. "Older writers almost never really retire. They just write less." Charlie was still doing a monthly column for one magazine when he passed away at 92.

This post just gave me an urge to re-read Gun dogs and Bird Guns.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, Charlie was a fine writer, with a lot of experience. He definitely influenced me in many ways, both in his straightforward yet subtle style, and his sense of humor.

We corresponded for a while before I actually met him, on our first trip to Florida in 1986. (As you no doubt know, he and Debie spent winter/spring in Florida and summer/fall in Montana.) We went bass fishing together in early April, when the water was still pretty cool, fly-fishing with poppers. He was rowing the boat while I fished, and after my first cast he said, "Good. Now work it faster, like an amateur bass-fisherman...."

After that we got together in Montana just once, for a visit. This was when they were about to sell their place and quit "migrating" (as Charlie called it). At the time we had two bird dogs, which we brought along, and told Charlie and Debie they were named Keith and O'Connor--and they BOTH laughed!

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by mcknight77

Can we pre-order it?

It's already out of print. frown

I was warned, but I am here anyway.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Funny.
I loved a line in a chapter Charlie wrote about chukar hunting, the first line of the chapter if memory recalls. Something to the effect of “All my chukar hunting guns are beat up and scarred”. I’d often think of this while selecting a shotgun for chukar hunting. I’d be hell bent on taking a Mossberg 500 until I got to my gun safe and couldn’t resist taking my Berretta or Browning SxS. Now I have dents and scratches on them and not the 500.

H. Babcock
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I always read your articles first, thanks for the great work you have done all these years. We salute you!! Enjoy your retirement, it’s nice, took me 6 months to get used to it but like it now.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Congratulations on your retirement from Wolfe. Hopefully, they gave you a gold watch. Or maybe Polacek's cowboy hat? 😃
I will definitely subscribe to Rifle Looney News now. I enjoyed the gift subscription I got with my purchase of GG3.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jackpinesav,

Thanks! Glad you're liking RLN.

John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
People will ask “ What are you gonna do now”. Tell them
“ Whatever I want, but I ain’t gonna start until after lunch”

I stole that from Thomas “ Hollywood “ Henderson’s Wiki. He is 69 like us.

He allegedly said that after he won 28 million dollars in the Texas lottery.

Last edited by hanco; 01/12/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, yeah... can we start talking about Gun Gack 5 yet? (LOL)
Congrats John - enjoy yourself.
Rex

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe you'll find time to do some shooting now!

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
When I retired I found that it's best to go to bed knowing what I'm going to do tomorrow.

H. Babcock
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yaddio,

Don't have any problem with that at all--just know that I don't have TOO MUCH to do tomorrow. That's how it seemed for quite a while....

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Me too and it's great. I only work with existing clients and referrals.
Someone mentioned redundancy in an earlier post. I just received my last issue of Petersens Hunting. Joseph Von Benedikt article on the 7PRC has a picture of his wife and kids with a black bear. This is the same picture that was in another publication regarding the 7 PRC. There's an article on hunting Axis deer in Hawaii and within in the last month in another publication was Axis hunting in Hawaii. I don't know if it's from the same author or not as I recently recycled a bunch of magazines.
Repetition is why I'm cutting back on publications.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We corresponded for a while before I actually met him, on our first trip to Florida in 1986. (As you no doubt know, he and Debie spent winter/spring in Florida and summer/fall in Montana.) We went bass fishing together in early April, when the water was still pretty cool, fly-fishing with poppers. He was rowing the boat while I fished, and after my first cast he said, "Good. Now work it faster, like an amateur bass-fisherman...."

[Linked Image]

Poppers on a flyrod for bass is the best of fishing. Good memories. Like some of the others I'll be subscribing to RLN - it's been in my shopping cart for a few days now with some Gun Gacks and a couple of Eileen's. As others have said, we're all glad for the "semi-" part of "semi-retired"!

Andy

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I grew into a hunter reading Bob Milek and Ross Seigfried, Milek is partly responsible for me living in central Wyoming now. JB has always be interesting and informative, with out The old school Keith / Oconnor I am right because I said so attitude. Jb has envolved with the times and branched off in many areas of interest. If interested ,whenever it was possible I would like to share a pot of coffee and pick John's brain in person. Not something I desire to do with any of the other gun rag poets.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Looks like the Adirondacks that I grew up in. Makes me homesick.

[Linked Image]

H. Babcock
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Yaddio
Looks like the Adirondacks that I grew up in. Makes me homesick.

[Linked Image]

It is. Winslow Homer. He's got some really amazing Adirondack stuff. He stayed at a hunting camp near Minerva in the mid-late 1800's. Looks like a great place to grow up!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Big congrats John...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hoping you can continue with only projects you enjoy. Because that’s not work. Thanks for all the incredible information you have provided here. Prayers for health, wealth, and happiness on you and Eileen.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
shootem,

That's the plan! Though part of the reason I'll continue working for Sports Afield is not only do I enjoy it, but they pay better than the other magazines I've been writing for in the last decade. (One of the general trends in the business has been pay dropping for the past 25-30 years, which is why GSPfan, in his above post, has noticed the same photos and hunts appearing in more than one magazine. Lower pay means you have to write up the same material in various places to make ends meet.)

I also enjoy writing for Rifle Loony News. When Eileen and I started it 14 years ago, I mostly wrote articles I'd proposed to conventional magazines, and none of 'em wanted. This was because either the editor didn't get the concept, or there weren't going to be enough mentions of advertisers--and mentioning advertisers frequently in magazines has been another major trend during the same period. But RLN doesn't take advertising, and Eileen is the editor, who after living with me for 40 years "gets" even my strangest suggestions for articles!

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have always looked forward to to your articles in Rifle and Handloader and will miss them. Best wishes and enjoy your retiring years.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
<It is. Winslow Homer. He's got some really amazing Adirondack stuff. He stayed at a hunting camp near Minerva in the mid-late 1800's. Looks like a great place to grow up![/quote]

I'm gonna sign up for RLN. Congrats MD.

OneEyedMule, I know Minerva. Another one of my passions is motorcycle riding. There's a really cool family friendly biker bar/restaurant in Minerva called Sporty's Iron Duke Saloon. Yea, a great place to grow up. My dad used to take me hiking, fishing and camping once a month in the Adks. Him driving me up to the high peaks was more exciting than Christmas morning. Probably one of the best things a dad can do with a son.

H. Babcock
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

You forgot Jack O"Connor's The Last Book. My favorite quote in there being about 'the big bore boys.' Nuff said.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads John, won't be the same mag without you. When I was a young man I believe I took 6-7 different magazines all hunting fishing shooting it seems like after the the old rider started retiring and dying off less and less interest I currently don't take any anymore occasionally I'll buy rifle or reloader every now and then but it's got to be something that catches my eye or an article by JB enjoy retirement!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

It still seems a little unbelievable to me that I was a "staff writer" for Wolfe for 30 years.

When I started Dave Scovill was the editor, and after I wrote a few articles he phoned me and asked, "So what are you going to write for the next issue?" Which was my first real hint that it might be a steady gig--always important to "freelance" writers.....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That's a shame. I might have to think about my subscription. I've been subscribing to Rifle and Handloader for over 20 years but the past five years or so I only read one or two articles. The mags have changed over time and I don't really like the direction they have taken. A lot of the articles (AR15 and handguns) have limited application here in Australia. All good things must come to an end I suppose.

Good luck with the semi-retirement John. I hope it does remain only semi though. You're too good a writer to just stop.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Sad thing to hear of

I'll need to find another copy of the magazine
with the " Anything but bolts " article.
Mine started out new, but it's passed through
many hands and it getting fairly ragged

I had a couple of Al Miller's articles I used to
share around, but those got permanently loaned
without my permission

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ranger99,

I might have an extra copy with that article in it. Will check and see. When was your ragged copy published?

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
John - Ever consider asking other retired writers to occasionally contribute to RLN?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by dznnf7
John - Ever consider asking other retired writers to occasionally contribute to RLN?

No, because it doesn't make enough profit to pay anybody but me and Eileen--and we wouldn't ask professionals (even if retired) to write for free.

However, we have paid a non-retired writer a little to do something. Not long after we started RLN, we paid Phil Shoemaker to a piece on 'Ol Ugly," the self-customized .458 Winchester Magnum he's been using as his favorite brown bear back-up rifle for many years.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Ranger99,

. . . When was your ragged copy published?

Well sir, that's a good question.
Been looking through my stacks of different magazines,
Backwoodsman through the late 90's, some very old
Popular Mechanics, a good many years of Tactical
Knives, etc.
I still have a few G&A and Shtg. Times, and fewer O L
and F&S and Louisiana Sportsman, copies I kept for
reference for whatever reason.
The particular magazine in question is elusive.
I still have a good many to paw through when I'm
not so bleary eyed . Did find Efficient Cartridges and
the High Wall black powder testing. I'm sure the
one I'm seeking is a Rifle and not a Handloader.
It should be here somewhere

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you can find it and determine the date, that would certainly help. Over the decades I probably wrote over 500 articles for Rifle, since for a while I was working exclusively for Wolfe--and writing at least a technical column, a feature and the back page for each issue of the magazine.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have enjoyed reading you sir. I'm a young pup compared to many here, early 30s. But started getting boxes of old hunting and shooting magazines from a couple great- uncles when I was old enough to start reading.

Then as they passed I started getting my own subscriptions.

I grew up reading your stuff and was no doubt influenced by you many times.

Enjoy the retirement.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 01/16/23.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Good to know that a younger reader likes reading my stuff.

But as pointed out earlier, am not fully retired, just writing less!

John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got a stack of Rifle'n Handloader mags to read, if I ever get new glasses? smile

Old boy I knew, wrote a weekly conservation news column for a few rural PA weeklies, then suddenly disappeared. Didn't always agree with his views, but enjoyed reading his stuff for years. Found out his trusty Brother word processor had died and since he was in his early 80s, hung it up. According to his kin, refused to use a computer and printer.

Then one day his column appeared again. Come to find out they'd scoured the country for a functional Brother word processor. That lasted him until he cashed in his chips, I think?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks!

Good to know that a younger reader likes reading my stuff.

But as pointed out earlier, am not fully retired, just writing less!

John

John, I realize nothing good lasts forever, and I've lamented for a while this day was coming. It appears that your Handloader article on the .350 Legend and your Rifle article on triggers are your last appearances at Wolfe. Will you occasionally free-lance there? If so, I request something along the lines of your take on "The Joy of Handloading" or a career perspective such as "I Was a Rifle Loony Before Rifle Loonies Were Cool." Give us JB fans a proper send-off, so to speak. Even though I still have RLN and future Gack volumes to look forward to, some of your other Wolfe fans may not.

Just a thought.

Greg Perry

Last edited by gaperry59; 01/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Have enjoyed reading you sir. I'm a young pup compared to many here, early 30s. But started getting boxes of old hunting and shooting magazines from a couple great- uncles when I was old enough to start reading.

Enjoy the retirement.

-Jake
He's your Jack O'Connor.....a worthy crown. We will all miss his skilled writing!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations Mule Deer on your semi retirement. I hope you get to do the things you enjoy.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
If you can find it and determine the date, that would certainly help. Over the decades I probably wrote over 500 articles for Rifle, since for a while I was working exclusively for Wolfe--and writing at least a technical column, a feature and the back page for each issue of the magazine.

Still looking
Found a bunch of my saved Brian Pierce and Ross
Seyfried articles, and some of the knives I had
in a box from the last move. Probably have some
of the original Buck Selector blades for trade soon

I'll look some more ASAP

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

Enjoy the retirement.

-Jake
He's your Jack O'Connor.....a worthy crown. We will all miss his skilled writing!

I suppose so. I never read magazines, at least that I remember, that had O'Connor. I've only read library books by him. Sheep and Sheep hunting, The hunting Rifle, and probably a few others I can't remember right now. I devoured everything hunting and shooting related in our small local library when I was growing up.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Congratulations on your semi-retirement!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks!

Good to know you'll be in SA. A stellar magazine, and your pieces in the current issue were spot on, as usual.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Good to know you'll be in SA. A stellar magazine, and your pieces in the current issue were spot on, as usual.

Glad you liked 'em! I enjoy writing for SA, as it allows a much wider range of subject matter than most "pure" gun magazines.

Some other comments on other posts:

Greg Perry, am sorry, but there won't be a send-off article in Wolfe---partly because I'm already getting busier again, due to working for www.riflesandrecipes.com in ways other than just writing. Eileen developed the website and associated book-publish company, but pretty much ran it by herself for well over a decade--which is the main reason I could retire from Wolfe. So now I'm helping her more!

Scotty, I am planning to do some of the things I used to do more of before getting into gun writing. One is fishing--which I used to do a lot, and wrote about as well, especially flyfishing. But in the 1990s hunting/gun writing started paying significantly more than fishing writing, so I quit writing about fishing. Eileen and I were kind of relieved, because then we could go fishing without having to take photos for articles, or be thinking of "story angles." Instead we could just go fish and relax.

But instead we went fishing far less, since I was far busier writing hunting/gun stuff. In fact, often my only fishing during entire years was outside Montana--when I was on a hunting trip to, say, Alaska. After getting the big game, I could catch salmon, grayling trout or whatever. (This isone reason I have several take-down fly rods that will fit alongside my rifle inside its airline case.) So we're gonna do more fishing!

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John - thanks for all the great articles and books over the years and I look forward to reading more of them.

Thanks for editing my grizzly hunt article and helping me get it published.

I've gone on to have a lot of articles "published" online, mostly because you got me re-started with that 2017 bear hunt article. Thanks. smile

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cascade
John - thanks for all the great articles and books over the years and I look forward to reading more of them.

Thanks for editing my grizzly hunt article and helping me get it published.

I've gone on to have a lot of articles "published" online, mostly because you got me re-started with that 2017 bear hunt article. Thanks. smile

Regards, Guy

And here I was thinking you were only a YouTube star.

I’d try reading your stuff if I kew where to find it. Hint.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guy,

Was happy to do that--as I have been with several other aspiring writers/

But you were pretty much a natural storyteller anyway, so I suspect you'd have figured it out pretty well on your own!

You coming through Montana again anytime soon?

Good hunting,
John

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Guy,

Was happy to do that--as I have been with several other aspiring writers/

But you were pretty much a natural storyteller anyway, so I suspect you'd have figured it out pretty well on your own!

You coming through Montana again anytime soon?

Good hunting,
John

Hmm, considering a photo/fly fishing/camping trip near Wyoming & Grand Tetons about September or so, but that's about it for heading that way this coming year unless the "Safari Rifle Championship" is held in Libby again. I hope it is! smile

Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We'll probably be around in September. Let's see what happens!

John Steinbeck
J
J
So glad you're OK! AND retired too....!
I was getting worried.... but the best of luck to you!
You were the primary reason that subscribed to both Wolfe's rags.
Still, they have good writers and articles... but I'll miss yours the most.

I'm about a year or so out myself from starting on the government's dole.....

Maybe by that time powder, primer, and bullet prices will come down some, and I can start shooting again.
And maybe have a better "leader" in DC. (Before the dung hits the fan!)

Good luck always and I'll start looking for your other great pieces in the other magazines that you mentioned! A few that I never heard of before.... Joe

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Suspect you'll enjoy your upcoming retirement! So far my semi-retirement is doing OK--though since I'm still writing a little, some periods are more retired than others!

It turned out my article for Gun Digest 2024 didn't work out. The editor really liked it, but the company buys all rights to articles--meaning they can reprint forever without paying me anything. I haven't signed a contract like that in many years, so told them they weren't getting it.

Instead will be running the article in the May edition of Rifle Loony News, the on-line quarterly that Eileen and I publish on our website www.riflesandrecipes.com.

It's a long piece about the sudden increase in factory .17-caliber rifle cartridges in the 21st century, including handloading info and what hunting each .17 works for.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Now we're really looking forward to May's RLN

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Golden Years

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I love being semi retired. I only deal with existing clients and referrals, work when I want and enjoy life.
John will you be doing another collection of RLN the third 5 years? I don't know if the third 5 years has been reached or not but when it does count me in. I enjoy going back and reading them.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
In the early 80s I was a magazine hound, hitting the mag racks once a month. In a couple of years had a stack or two and decided to go through and look for what I really liked. Three authors were the general theme, one had retired, one disappeared and there was JB. Barsness had been my guy for a long time now for not regurgitating others opinions, for trying things before stating his views.

May you and your wife enjoy the quasi retirement.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoy your semi-retirement, John!

Coming up on 8 years for me, love it!

We all enjoy having your old flinter over the fireplace at our Sportsmen's Club. I'll send you a picture of it sometime.

Regards,
Bob.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I love being semi retired. I only deal with existing clients and referrals, work when I want and enjoy life.
John will you be doing another collection of RLN the third 5 years? I don't know if the third 5 years has been reached or not but when it does count me in. I enjoy going back and reading them.

Yes, we're going to be publishing Rifle Loony News, The Third Five Years next year about this time. It doesn't seem like almost 15 years since we started RLN, but there it is!

And thanks to everybody for the semi-retirement wishes. Started to four years ago, and just keep whittling away at the work-load....

John

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Every day is Saturday Mule Deer 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Congrats on the move toward retirement John. I did it 100% 9 years ago and am busier than I ever expected.

My late father in law shared an article with me many years ago, and after reading it he asked how I liked it. I said you are correct that John's words are very informative to the subject of the article. I believe it was a precision shooting monthly or bi monthly magazine he enjoyed reading and was I believe small calibers and shooting sage rats / ground squirrels/ accuracy tips , as we both were very new to Northern Califonia skippy shooting and just compiling guns to enjoy the fun the act is. Not long after you were selling a hunting book here and I had you sign it. When I gave it to him and showed him your signature and words he thought I was pulling his leg. He didn't realize both you, and Steve Timm were posting and replying on a darned internet website. He also admired Steve's articles and a few caliber comments in I believe the Hornady reloading manual. Gary appreciated, used and had proven your writing was to his findings very good information. He actually had his first custom rifle built after reading yours and other writers words, and was happy he bit the bullet to get a custom made and shot his best ever groups with it.

Enjoy the free time you may have, get out in the field and enjoy your passion of the outdoors while your body allows. I have learned as I age that delaying a trip sometimes becomes a regret. And keep writing good stuff John, you are appreciated more than you know.

Allen

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Allen.

Nice to hear the story about your father-in-law!

As far as doing stuff in the outdoors, have posted elsewhere that the reasons for getting into the outdoor writing business included liking to write (was determined to be writer from about age 12), and knowing that it would offer plenty of opportunities to hunt and fish, often in other places around the world, instead of waiting until I retired to do it. That happened, in places from Alaska to Africa, including several trips to Europe and other countries such as New Zealand and Argentina. Some places were visited more than once, including eight African safaris up to a month long, and 15 hunts in Canada from British Columbia to Quebec.

In fact Eileen and I traveled enough to now be content to mostly hunt and fish in Montana (where many other people dream about traveling to!) and have taken good enough care our selves to still be able to. But are looking forward to quite a bit more fishing, which we didn't get to do as much after hunting became our main focus!

John

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Excellent John.
I hadn't thought about that. It is always good to be able to enjoy your work like you have, and benefit from it as well. And also very interesting you were able to pursue, and quite successfully and well, your childhood dreams. Not many can do that, let alone do it so well.

Cheers John and Eileen.

Happy trails

Allen

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congratulations John. You don't know this but our early lives when starting out ended up about the same. I don't need to expand on this. IMO opinion, you are the greatest living writer and JOC was the greatest on rifles and Skeeter on handguns.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd recommend that if you're an aficionado of
Mr. Barsness's writings, find a copy of Rifle
magazine March 2008 No.236 and read his
fine article " ANYTHING BUT BOLTS " starting
on page 44

I used to loan this out to people that would
boo-hoo about me deer hunting with an "obsolete "
bow or muzzleloader, or a break action single
shot or semi automatic

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What happened to John Barsness ?

its a real short story > he road away on a dark horse into the sunset never to be seen again . Happy Trails

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by model70man
Congratulations John. You don't know this but our early lives when starting out ended up about the same. I don't need to expand on this. IMO opinion, you are the greatest living writer and JOC was the greatest on rifles and Skeeter on handguns.

Thanks very much!

How did your life start out?

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a few issues of a long defunct Wolfe Publishing rag called “Hunting Horizons”, from the early 90’s (when I was about 19 and in college). There are two articles from those issues that John wrote on the 257 Roberts and 7x57 Mauser that got me hooked on both rounds, and hooked on reading everything John has written that I could get my hands on. So, about 30 years of John Barsness for me. Thanks for all the outstanding articles John! I’ve spent lots of money on firearms, and firearms related stuff/minutia over the years, largely because of JB. BTW, I’d love to hear some more handloading Haikus. That article had me rolling! Enjoy the golden years John. You deserve it!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"And have taken good enough care of ourselves to still be able to". That gentlemen is the secret. No truer words were ever spoken than these,,, (YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR WEALTH). BCM

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As some humans have observed in the past, you're only as old as you feel!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Oh crap!

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Oh crap!

Exactly! And never having been 70 before, I have no idea how it feels--especially to others!

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks for years of honest efforts, MD. 👍

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thank you!

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The question that opened this thread is what brought me here to the Campfire over a decade ago. I realized that I hadn’t seen a “John Barsness” byline in “Handloader” or “Rifle” for a while so I thought I would just do a internet search and wa la …😁 or voila! for some of our friends up North.

It didn’t take long to figure out that our “Mule Deer” was the one and only…😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Oh crap!

Exactly! And never having been 70 before, I have no idea how it feels--especially to others!

I know that feeling. I remember back in the 20th Century thinking how I'd be 43 at the turn of the century and how old that must be. Now at age 66, 43 seems almost young.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Oh crap!

My current “feel” is bit skewed after just getting over the dose of WuFlu the wife dragged home from one of three airplanes she spent 37 hours in on her way home last month. Just imagine not being able to taste the tomatoes you slaved over for three months.🤬

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
"I know that feeling. I remember back in the 20th Century thinking how I'd be 43 at the turn of the century and how old that must be. Now at age 66, 43 seems almost young."

I'm right there with you! Now, 43 was real young and 66 feels normal.

Last edited by Bobcat85; 08/03/23.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I know that OLD AGE feeling as I will be 79YO next week.

What makes it seem even worse is the fact that I was born at a Very Early Age!

Hip

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Congrats!!

Don't retire from here!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.