Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would say poor compared to seasons past. There was too many acorns after a very dry summer. We didn’t kill much on our lease, same with most around the location we hunt in central Texas, Burnet county.

Last edited by hanco; 01/11/23.
BP-B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
0 stars... I hunted every day of both general firearm and ML season. It was cold, windy as balls, and I saw exactly zero deer in shooting range. I saw 3 deer; one way out of range, and two being chased across a neighboring property by a stupidass dog.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Disappointing. Mainly because I was to ill to get out.
Shot a spike, 3 point out of my door, but that's just shooting, not hunting.

Last edited by Nessmuk; 01/11/23.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never had a tougher season. I've hunted archery, rifle, and now flintlock and have seen a total of 9 deer. Never had a season like this

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not the best I’ve ever had but not the worst either. Saw tons of bucks but only one really big one and he was out of reach.

Killed a small half rack with my longbow in the early season. A nice but not huge 6x5 buck with a rifle. And I shot an old donkey doe during the late season for some friends who wanted a deer. Main highlight was watching my son kill his first deer during the October youth season.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We saw a fair number of deer on our place, not too many hunts where we were totally skunked. But we saw very few of our more mature bucks in the daylight. Three hunters saw maybe 3 total bucks that were 3yr olds or older, and our season has been going since October 1 (still going). I shot a couple of bucks and a couple of does, so the pressure was off fairly early. The acorn crop was the largest I ever remember, so the hogs are still down in the adjoining river bottoms, eating acorns, even though they are nearly all rotten at this point.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Bountiful

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JPro
We saw a fair number of deer on our place, not too many hunts where we were totally skunked. But we saw very few of our more mature bucks in the daylight. Three hunters saw maybe 3 total bucks that were 3yr olds or older, and our season has been going since October 1 (still going). I shot a couple of bucks and a couple of does, so the pressure was off fairly early. The acorn crop was the largest I ever remember, so the hogs are still down in the adjoining river bottoms, eating acorns, even though they are nearly all rotten at this point.

We have had tons of hogs since I’ve been on this lease, cause there is a spring fed creek. They seem to have disappeared, something has happened, desease of some kind??

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Got lucky the 2nd day of VA black powder (77 degrees.....), took a nice 9 point, saw a whopping 1 antlered deer in the woods the rest of the season. Noticeably less sign compared to last year too.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Shot 23 inch spread 7 pt and 17 3/4 inch 8 pt during early black powder.Wifey killed a dinky 7 pt and son and daughter both killed does over all a great season.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

LOL. High in fiber.....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After several years of decent buck drought, this year was pretty good!
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
257Bob, Congrats that's a great Buck. Good mass and tall G-1's. Looks like it's gonna be tag soup for me this year. I still have one more hunt. But all the Bucks are nocturnal. No daylight pic's of any shooters on the trail cams. Late season hunting is tough where I hunt. I did kill 2 does so I have meat in the freezer. Hopefully better luck next season.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
We and everyone around us had a subpar season. Lots of nocturnal activity, lots of acorns, and few mature deer were seen on our 2000 acre lease. Only two bucks were taken on our lease.

Texas bred and born
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This was a pretty crappy year for my wife and I. 0 deer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
In the Upper Penninsula of Michigan where I reside I would have to rate it as very poor. Seems every year it slips further downhill regardless of hunting conditions or the previous winters. They need to put an end to that insane 2 buck license.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Ours was poor due to abundant acorn crop. I managed to kill enough for my years meat. But I didn't see near as many bucks as I usually see. They don't move as much when they can stand in one spot and fill up on their favorite food. I did kill 4 and that was my goal.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My youngest was able to shoot his first buck at a good friend’s place in November on the TX opening weekend:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He was very excited so my season was made in that day.

I then went to ND and MT for 10 days of chasing deer and Pheasants. The pheasant hunting was epic and deer hunting was OK. We were able to get one of my nephews who lives out of state on this nice whitetail:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Another nephew was also in from out of state and had limited time. He wanted to shoot a mulie. The right one was found but we got fogged out several days and ran out of daylight at 800 yds on the best stalking opportunity.

I went to MT solo for a few days on the back end of my trip in search of a shooter buck. Mother Nature had other plans. Snow drifted in on the ranch I was hunting, forcing the deer to move out to more accessible feed. The trails used to access the best areas of the ranch were drifted in as well so I ended up eating a tag. Spending time back home doing spot and stalk along with walking for pheasants helps keep my sanity every year. The time spent visiting dad, my brother-in-law and the rest of my family is irreplaceable and makes the hunting outcome irrelevant.

Heading out this weekend for a late youth doe that will be destined for jerky aside from the loins and back straps. A very good season in retrospect andI’m happy to have been able to spend some time afield.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took the first week of season off work, killed a doe mid day of the opener and a decent 140” 11pt the first Sunday. Hunted a little the rest of the week and had several opportunities to fill my last antlerless tag but kept passing on the shots.

Saw deer almost daily.

CK
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.