Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have no plans for another rifle, but never say never. How bout you?

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have no plans...but you know how that works.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tzone

Ha! I know exactly how it works!

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i stay open minded but if i find a nice Ruger #1 well then who knows ? kinda looking for another 257 Roberts in a Ruger #1 1-B or a S.S. laminate Grandson got a 1B from me but now i want too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No plans but depends on what happens. Been doing some logging and if it opens up the way it might and hunting from a tower style stand, I might want a rifle with a bit more heft to it to remain steady for the longer shots there. My Montana is a dream and IMO - THE perfect deer rifle but something with a heavier weight might be better for holding steady on the longer shots where margin is slimmer.

If I do - I expect it will be a Creedmoor or another 7-08 for ease.

Me

IC B2

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Got my eye on a nice G33/40 custom in 257 Boberts, but his price is a little ambitious for me.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Not one here either. At my age I will never use all the deer rifles I already have. I'm very lucky as it really doesn't matter how bad ammo or reloading supplies are to get I have plenty.
Have a great day.
Jim

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hanco: I am afflicted with both intense planning and impulse buying when it comes to firearms.
Have been for 5+ decades now.
I would say by the time next "Deer season" comes along I will have at least two more Deer Rifles in my gun vault room.
In fact I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a nifty Remington 700 "Long Range" heavy barrel Rifle in caliber 7m/m Remington Magnum complete with quality rings and bases and a Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope.
Not much "planning" on that one but I got it so cheap if I decide to sell it I will make at least $300.00 in profit on it.
It would make an outstanding "long range - open country" Deer/Elk/Antelope Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not necessarily a plan for a new one, but will try and use something I have not hunted with yet.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I been kicking around the idea of 6.5 CM. I have several deer rifles I have really come to like and I will probably put the money I would spend on a new rifle into my budget for a new SxS and make that happen quicker.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yep. +1

If I see a Tikka Superlite in 270 w/ a green stock & black fluted bbl it’s coming home

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 01/11/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sure as hell hope not but I expect I will. My son bought a Savage 99 last year and really likes it. But a couple weeks ago he bought one he likes even more. Both are 300's and he never keeps duplicates so I'll probably have to buy the old one at some point this year. Not that I need anymore guns but I know how it shoots

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m going to do some fine tuning and load testing on the left handed Savage 350 Legend I bought before this past season. I have a brand new never fired left handed Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor that I have to put a scope on and work up a load in case I go out of state where I can hunt with a bottleneck rifle cartridge.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nope. Last summer I picked up a NIB Kimber Subalpine 30-06. I'll take it out for sight in on Friday for the first time. I'll take it to the 'fire annual hog hunt in March.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sticking with the 275 Rigby in good weather and switch to the beater 308 in the rain.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Nope. Last summer I picked up a NIB Kimber Subalpine 30-06. I'll take it out for sight in on Friday for the first time. I'll take it to the 'fire annual hog hunt in March.

Cool gun Ed. My brother and old goat hunting partner has the same one in 280 Ackley. Jealous when he’s packing it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a Model 7 I bought last year that I didn't get setup; this is currently on my agenda.

I'm considering the purchase of a 7 Mag currently listed in the classifieds, while a currently open tab on my computer displays a Remington 700, 243 Win...so yeah, I'll have at least one more new rifle before the November 2023 deer season hits.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built a DIY 308 last year and used it with success on three deer, building another one now in 6.5CM (ammo is easy to find and affordable, performance is fine and one of the only Proof pre-fit barrels available), just waiting on the McMillan stock which should be delivered in a week or so. I've got one more DIY pre-fit build in mind that I hope to get finished this year, that would be a 7mm PRC. Depends on where and when I can find a receiver that meets my needs (affordable and takes Proof pre-fits).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
None are ever planned.
But I'm a push over for those older hi-gloss and blue long guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I buy rifles and sometimes sell them before ever hunting with them. Did pick up a couple recently that may make the keeper pile . Newer 700 youth model 243 , put it in an older ADL wood stock , trigger job and 3-9 leupold. Seems to shoot pretty well with several loads. The other is kind of an oddball but should make a handy woods rifle. Ruger mini 14 6.8 spc that shoots way better than it should.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like getting a new or new to me rifle, gathering up mounts and scope, then trying it out.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a scope that’s lonely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Got my eye on a nice G33/40 custom in 257 Boberts, but his price is a little ambitious for me.

You should buy it!

Shoot ballistic tips!

WWP53D
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SKane

You should buy it!

Shoot ballistic tips!

I sure want it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Not necessarily a plan for a new one, but will try and use something I have not hunted with yet.

That’s me. I notched two virgins last Fall. If the weather settles, I may add another this weekend, though my enthusiasm level is pretty low when it comes to dragging one out. My son blooded one I gave him and the kids last weekend in VA.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Model 70 Classic with a new #2 Pac-Nor 1:8 twist barrel in a Legend Echols stock.

Should be back in the next month. Already have some 170gr Nolser BT, 160gr NPt,

Have not been able to find any more 277 heavies to play with. Looking forward to shooting it.

Arcus Venator
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nothing planned here, but if a Montana or Custom Select in 260 Rem fell in my lap.........

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not a new one, but I have a remington 7600 carbine in 308 that I'm going to be using a lot more

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Not a new one, but I have a remington 7600 carbine in 308 that I'm going to be using a lot more
I've got a 7600 carbine in 06. Tough to beat for a woods gun .

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I only got 3/4 of the way through the 4 rifle rotation I had planned this year. Now I've started playing with my long-dormant .25-06AI and different bullets so I think I'll throw that into the mix which is like getting a new rifle, I haven't used it in so long. I may also retrieve my .303 Savage that's currently at my son's house to quiet the inexplicable urge I have had lately to get get a .30-30.

I really don't have any desire to get a new (or new to me) rifle. I'm really trying to cut back. I recently sent two handguns and a rifle down the road and used the proceeds to buy a new sporting clays gun which I like a lot. However, I find myself asking why because I only shoot sporting clays a couple of times a month and I've always been happy to do it with my duck gun or one of my bird guns.

All that said, even though I'm not actively looking for another gun of any kind, if I come across any one of several revolvers, shotguns or rifles at anywhere near the right price they will come home with me. I don't think I'll ever be cured.

Mathew 22: 37-39

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Just finished scrubbing out the bore of a new to me Encore 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. There was quite the accumulation but the borescope didn't find an alligatored throat and there weren't any broach marks. 5R rifling. I put a new to me Redfield 3 x9 Tracker scope on it and collimated the crosshairs. On the paper and close to POA at 50 yards out behind the barn....waiting for some better Michigan weather to go to the range and zero it at 100 yds. This should make a nice walking around rifle for the U.P. woods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure but imagine some will come along. I am thinking more about selling more than a few. I just cant seem to make up my mind of which ones. Maybe a Rem 725 .270 or a dozen others.

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
Was at my favorite LGS the other day and they had a Ruger 77/44 Stainless/Synthetic with a Leupold 2-7 that is identical to my 77/22 mag.

Same scope.

For $700 I couldn't pass it up

Michigan is one of those retard states that has a straight wall rule for the southern portion. Cheap way to get into the straight wall game for the few times I hunt down there and don't feel like using a muzzle loader.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going on 3 years since my last gun purchase........

Cant even imagine what would cause me to add a rifle to the collection. I got about twice as many as I need.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Cant even imagine what would cause me to add a rifle to the collection. I got about twice as many as I need.
What’s your secret??

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Right there with you. Nothing is going to work better than what I've got. When it's go time I want something in my hands that's tried and true, tuned and fitted to my specs and fits like a glove. I've got that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If anything I need to pair down the collection. I used three different guns this year, one of which had killed an elk and a couple of doe but never a buck, one that I haven't hunted with since 2010, and another I've owned 5y and it tallied it's first deer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had no plans for one. But found a guy that had a m760 cut to factory carbine length. Cerakoted, carbalite stock, timney trigger etc....

Can't buy cheap 760s for projects and he already had the expensive stuff done.....I basically paid for the work and parts and got the rifle free. Couldn't let it sit there. It's 300sav for now which is why it sat long enough for me to see it I think. But, JES can fix that for me....already have a 7600 Whelen carbine I keep with a ghost ring setup. This will be a 358win carbine with a scope...probably going to ditch the carbalite stock...nice stock but way too heavy for me.

Oh ya...has a decent Burris scope I'll take off too...so I'll be able to offset my stock and rebore prices..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Right there with you. Nothing is going to work better than what I've got. When it's go time I want something in my hands that's tried and true, tuned and fitted to my specs and fits like a glove. I've got that.

Exactly, 9 bolt actions..all deer calibers..... each was purchased new, have yet to purchase a blunder....same for optics......every gun and optic have been tuned at the bench. Each knows what ammo it likes. Which gun i take to the stand is determined by field conditions and which optic i want to use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Troutnut
I buy rifles and sometimes sell them before ever hunting with them.

I'm notorious for it, but trying to put a stop to it. It takes too much work and aggravation to sell.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Thabks to CRS, a Jack O'Connor tribute rifle. It's in the mail. It's going to 4 different states this year, hopefully, and I'm gonna shoot the tar out of that gun. But if I happen to run across a new production M70 supergrade in 06, it'll probably come home too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I buy rifles and sometimes sell them before ever hunting with them.

I'm notorious for it, but trying to put a stop to it. It takes too much work and aggravation to sell.

Same here

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I'm sort of tin the same boat, all the bases covered so now I'm customizing/perfecting what I have. new stocks, re-barreling, triggers and/or new optics. About the only gap I do have is for a pump carbine to use on drives, but for that I've been 'getting by" with a Rem M7 with a 2.5-8x36 on it.

I'm starting to thin the herd now, I've sold 4 in the past couple years.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I've got a 7600 carbine in 06. Tough to beat for a woods gun .
👍

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Exactly, 9 bolt actions..all deer calibers..... each was purchased new, have yet to purchase a blunder....same for optics......every gun and optic have been tuned at the bench. Each knows what ammo it likes. Which gun i take to the stand is determined by field conditions and which optic i want to use.

Pretty much the same thing here too. I did just buy a new Tikka T3x Lite stainless 308. I sold a nice Sako 308 several years ago and just felt the need to get another 308. I bought a used wood Tikka stock for it. Had it glass bedded. Its at the gunsmith's now getting cut to 20" and threaded for a Nomad 30 Ti can.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Recently acquired a Sauer 100 Veil in 6.5 PRC. Guess I'll fiddle with it a while.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mauser06
Had no plans for one. But found a guy that had a m760 cut to factory carbine length. Cerakoted, carbalite stock, timney trigger etc....

Can't buy cheap 760s for projects and he already had the expensive stuff done.....I basically paid for the work and parts and got the rifle free. Couldn't let it sit there. It's 300sav for now which is why it sat long enough for me to see it I think. But, JES can fix that for me....already have a 7600 Whelen carbine I keep with a ghost ring setup. This will be a 358win carbine with a scope...probably going to ditch the carbalite stock...nice stock but way too heavy for me.

Oh ya...has a decent Burris scope I'll take off too...so I'll be able to offset my stock and rebore prices..

Cool project Mauser. The 760/7600’s are fun. Hopefully you can get it worked out and can get it to NY this year.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

No way I would convert a 300 Savage, but it's your rifle.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a 30/06---no need for anything else. Save the money & go on an out of state hunt.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I've got a 30/06---no need for anything else. Save the money & go on an out of state hunt.

This is pretty much the approach I'm taking.

I hit WY last year for antelope, and MT this season for mulies. I'm now buying pts and saving for a guided WY elk hunt and going to hit CO this fall for over the counter.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

That's what I was thinking

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Same rifle/cartridge……but, a new bullet! Got 4 boxes of Barnes .375, 270 grain LRX’s for birthday/Christmas. Will be developing a load as soon as hot weather gets here! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Thabks to CRS, a Jack O'Connor tribute rifle. It's in the mail. It's going to 4 different states this year, hopefully, and I'm gonna shoot the tar out of that gun. But if I happen to run across a new production M70 supergrade in 06, it'll probably come home too.

You will love that rifle. You may be at the end of your search.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just picked my new doe killing gun up yesterday from https://shop.kaugerarms.com/ they're working on building a 300 PRC for my new long range rifle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
10 shot group, seems to shoot pretty good while fire forming .223ai brass.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just picked up a m700 adl in 223 to play with

Hunt...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

This one recently got dropped off. Hoping it shoots cause man I wanna use it!

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
This will be a race to see which gun the gunsmith gets done first - a dakota action and stock I found on here waiting final fittng in 358 wsm or a box of parts and a stock and barrel that needs assembly for a 6.5 CM in 99C savage, let fun begin but hopefully they arrive before deer season for some "bacon" making as a warm up.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I can't see myself buying any new ( or new to me)
hunting guns for the future, especially with the
large price tags these days
I've got something to use for most every region
that I can imagine I'll be hunting at for the rest of
my life.
I'd still like to have a 7.62X39 AR if they ever
get reasonable again whistle
I don't think the 30AR is coming back anytime soon

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
No plans for one. My .308 (boring as it may be) does about everything I need a rifle to do.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
upload

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have bought 3 already this year and have spoken for a barrel for a possible build.

CK
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am klinda thinking of down sizing to a 257 Roberts with a 75 gr. Hammer bullet for deer hunting in my home state .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I hope so. Really can't ask for more.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Kimber Montana .308with a 3-9x33 Compact for me.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

What’s your plan for that Burris scope?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I wouldn’t either. A .300 sav carbine would be pretty sweet.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a very clean Savage 99C in 284 Winchester a few days ago. The deal included an extra magazine and 108 rounds of factory ammo. A vintage Leupold Vari-X II 2x7 scope was also included in the deal. I got it sighted in at the range and am happy with the results. Groups averaged a bit less than 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I'm looking forward to opening day of deer season 2023 in Tennessee.

Last edited by TNrifleman; 01/20/23.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I wouldn’t either. A .300 sav carbine would be pretty sweet.

I love the 358 but I agree, it would stay a 300 savage for me too

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I guess I’ll have to use the 243 forester I just picked up yesterday….

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m just going shopping in my safe and hunting deer with a rifle that has been a safe queen for a while. Maybe the 99F in .358 Win? Or .250-3000?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One new to me 760 30-06 here, but by this fall there will be less to choose from overall.

I'm having it cut down to 20" and fitted with a Williams FP. That 30-06 will replace a couple others that will go down the road.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I ended up with a couple. I bought a 99A in 375 Win and a Kimber BGR in 280 Remington. Also a Sako Golden Anniversary 7mag

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]key test

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]keyboard laptop keys

Last edited by hanco; 05/08/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Damn Hanco that 7 is a racy as your girl friends..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought about adding 6.5 CM to see what'll the fuss is about but I think I will forgo buying one unless something comes out that blows my skirt up. I might spend the money on another week hunting. I seem to be pretty satisfied with my current deer rifles. I should sell a few of my
Magnum rifles and that might stimulate my interest in another deer rifle. If I do add one more deer rifle it will
have to be a no compromise option including the scope. I’m 60 now so I ain't getting no younger.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If it's all cleared by the gunsmith, I'll probably be using a 6.5x54 MS in a 20 inch Steyr with a full length stock.

“To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift.” -Steve Prefontaine

Matthew 25:31-46
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finished a DIY pre-fit in 308 last year and used with success, just finished another DIY pre-fit in 6.5CM and have a 7mm PRC in the works now, receiver and barrel in hand, stock on order. Still, if I could only hunt with the 308 from here on out, I'd have no regrets, it works with almost boring routine.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Damn Hanco that 7 is a racy as your girl friends..mb

They made 1000 of them in 1972. That’s number 181. I’ve wanted one for 50 years, it’s unfired. I probably won’t shoot it, just wanted to own one in my lifetime.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
While "new" deer rifles come and go for me, and some actually get used, I tend to gravitate to the old favorites that I carried over my lifetime. Heading into the woods with one of them provokes memories of past hunting trips, and are as comfortable as old shoes. 50+ years of searching for the ideal deer rifle has often seen me circling back to my hunting roots.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
While "new" deer rifles come and go for me, and some actually get used, I tend to gravitate to the old favorites that I carried over my lifetime. Heading into the woods with one of them provokes memories of past hunting trips, and are as comfortable as old shoes. 50+ years of searching for the ideal deer rifle has often seen me circling back to my hunting roots.

That make good sense, I do the same

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just replaced a scope and have not even zeroed it yet. Taking my old fix 6x off that rifle made me feel like I was putting a parent in a rest home....so stupid to feel that way. Too nice a scope to part with just yet.

If I had to get a new rifle the first place I would probably look would be a new Sauer 100 in wood. No hankering though. With the shortages making reloading such a challenge I have about all I can manage.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Had no plans for a new rifle, but could not pass up a great deal on a Ruger M 77 257 Roberts. It came with some once fired brass and a few handloads. I am going to pull the bullets on the handloads and start over.

Ordered a Collet die set and full-length sizing die set from Lee Precision

Go Ahead And Backup
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
model 70 classic stainless 7mm mag browning a bolt stainless 300 wsm browning a bolt stalker 300 wsm and a browning bar safari 30-06 been picking up more scopes than anything lately

Last edited by Live2hunt941; 05/08/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picked up a new 450 bushy upper for a real good deal. I currently hunt with a different 450 AR. I'm gonna see which one shoots best and either send 1 packing or use it for a 300BO build.

I'm in a straight walled pistol calibers zone so limited

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not sure here , LGS has a used rem 700, heavy barrel. 308, left handed, Very smooth racking the bolt.never been much for bolt actions cuz the lefty thing. But pondering it , may go check it out closer next week.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Setting up a CVA Scout .444 Marlin, Bergara Wilderness Ridge SP .308 (waiting on suppressor), LRI built on a 700 action 257 Weatherby and a Glock 40 10mm. Loading process has already started on all of them. Still need to mount the scope on the Bergara though.

You ain't about that life.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Due to an accident that caused med to loose sight in my right eye, I've been buying either LH or autos that are also threaded. The kids can have all my righties. Got a proof 300wm on order. Everything will wear a can from here on out. Probably have 50% hearing loss in my right ear.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Not really brand new, since I got it last fall, but been farting around with loads in 375 Winchester this spring. 94AE XTR. It'll probably come with me on foul weather days this fall.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A good friend just sold me a Remington 788 .44 Magnum that I'll use here in Indiana this fall. 240gr. Hornady XTP handloads will do very nicely.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I trade 3 minty 1947, 1948, and 1949 vintage Winchester 94s, 2 in 30-30 and a 32 WS, for a matched pair of minty Sako Finnwolfs, a 243 and 308. I don't know if I'll hunt with them, but I really like the Finnwolf and they look good hanging on the wall.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I trade 3 minty 1947, 1948, and 1949 vintage Winchester 94s, 2 in 30-30 and a 32 WS, for a matched pair of minty Sako Finnwolfs, a 243 and 308. I don't know if I'll hunt with them, but I really like the Finnwolf and they look good hanging on the wall.

They are fantastic rifles, wish I had kept mine

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Nice rifles on both side of that trade.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a few new to me rifles but I'm most looking forward to taking this 98 Mauser out. 7x57 straight 6x leupold [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That's a good looking outfit Troutnut..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That's a good looking outfit Troutnut..mb
Thank you. The man who built it knew his stuff. I can't take any credit just a lucky auction bid. Had a 4-12 ×50 Nikon that was too much. 6x leupold just looks right

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Troutnut that's because an M8 6x36 is just right and allways has been..mb

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've got a few new to me rifles but I'm most looking forward to taking this 98 Mauser out. 7x57 straight 6x leupold.

That's a fine, classic rig Troutnut. Were it mine, I'd be looking forward to taking it out too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I've got a few new to me rifles but I'm most looking forward to taking this 98 Mauser out. 7x57 straight 6x leupold.

That's a fine, classic rig Troutnut. Were it mine, I'd be looking forward to taking it out too.
Thanks

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I sure hope to have a ruger #1 and a Savage 99 in the stable to deer huntwith this fall.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
this year i'll go with my TC Contender a 10" barrel in 30 Herrett with 130gr Speer HP and Reloder 7. i'll take my Husqvarna 46 in 9.3x57 (275gr WFN GC with IMR4895) and my Win m94 in 35/30-30 (200gr RCBS FN GC with 2400/tuft of Dacron) only for 1 or 2 days.

i'll take my son's '16 Spanish Mauser in 6.5x55 out early doe season. then there is 1898 Springfield Armory in 30-40 Krag (165gr Ranch Dog/H4198) and a TC Encore with a 23" barrel in 444 Marlin (280gr WFN GC with Reloder 7) and a 23" barrel in 500 Linebaugh (450gr wfn with HS-6). oh, there is also a Remington m14 in 30 Rem (150gr Speer FN with H322) that will have be to used and my '08 Brazilian Mauser in 7x57 that i have to load for.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Chemo put me way off track on my projects, and retirement blew the roof off the possibilities. No, I probably won't have a new deer rifle in the field this year, but you never know. It's not like I'll get bored. In fact I may leave more of my tried-and-true choices home.

First off, I've brought the Whelenizer out of retirement. It's my Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen and I am going afield with a light 180-grain Speer
New Load for the Whelenizer

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

I am also testing several new bullets for my Mauser in 25-06

Then there's the monster project. The Brown Bess swallows all range time that one can give it. There are just so many possibilities-- so many variables. It really brings out the mad scientist in a shooter. So far, I've managed minute-of-pie-plate at 40 yards with a .69 cal ball in a paper cartridge. Now that turkey season is over, I will be working with .715 and .735 ball to see if I can do better.

If time allows, I would like to test out my .54 Hawken on a deer. Twenty years ago, I swapped out the original barrel for a 1 in 28" Green Mountain barrel so I could shoot conicals. Now that I have a fancy inline, I decided to put things back the way they were and try hunting again with patched round ball.

#1 Granddaughter, Mooselette, is going out this year with a Savage 340 in 30-30.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Whith that reduced load with 180gr should tame down the recoil in that 760.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had my Montana Rifle Company X2 in .260Rem tweaked. Shortened and threaded the barrel to 20" for my Nomad 30 titanium can, bolt jeweled and a new recoil pad. The old pad was the jelly rubber type and was torn in multiple places.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trails_end
Whith that reduced load with 180gr should tame down the recoil in that 760.

The reason why I retired the rifle was not because it was unsuccessful on our whitetails. I had 10 deer over 10 seasons with it. The problem was that for all the sound and fury it was not killing the deer any deader than my 30-06 loads. I was using a 200-grain Rem SPCL over H4895 and knocking enough off that it shot more like a hot 358 WIN. The 06 and 308 rifles were knocking them over DRT. The Whelenizer was not doing any better and most deer were running an extra 50 yards before piling up. Meanwhile, I had extra cost and extra recoil. The new 180-grain rounds are downsized even further-- more like an extra-hot 35 Remington.

One thing I have to give the Whelenizer is its unique report. I've had total strangers walk up to me and ask if that was me that got the deer. "Knew it! I knew it when I heard the shot." It seems the Whelenizer had created a bit of a legend.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
One thing I have to give the Whelenizer is its unique report. I've had total strangers walk up to me and ask if that was me that got the deer. "Knew it! I knew it when I heard the shot." It seems the Whelenizer had created a bit of a legend.

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Kimber Montana in 243 that has worked fine the last two years, a Remington 700 in 7mm-08 that has killed the two biggest bucks on my wall, so a new rifle for the upcoming season? Why? Oh, I guess I have since I’ve already purchased a new Tikka T3x light in 6.5 Creedmoor. Loonyism just never ends!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a few new ones to put in rotation. 700 BDL in a HS stock (30-06), 35 Whelen 700KS, and a 7KS in 350RM. I’ll hunt primarily with rifles I’ve had for a while.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I'm honest, I pretty much take a new gun every year. Last year was three new rifles and a new pistol. That was a record for sure. You know, about the worst thing that can happen is I shoot something with them, then after that I don't want to use them again, you know with so many others that haven't gotten anything. For me it's more about the guns than the game.

(Didn't take a new ones in 2021, that was the first year since 1987 that I didn't buy at least one firearm.)

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Was at my favorite LGS the other day and they had a Ruger 77/44 Stainless/Synthetic with a Leupold 2-7 that is identical to my 77/22 mag.

Same scope.

For $700 I couldn't pass it up

Michigan is one of those retard states that has a straight wall rule for the southern portion. Cheap way to get into the straight wall game for the few times I hunt down there and don't feel like using a muzzle loader.

Michi-Gun??

That was a heck of a deal. The way those are now, without the scope that would still have been a decent price. I picked up a camo version (unfired) early this year that had a scope on it. I sold the scope and put one on it I had. Bad reputation is those don't shoot good. If you do a trigger sear/spring and maybe bolt shims, they aren't tough to find a load they like.

I also built a 350 Legend off a Savage LH 223. Ordered an 18" barrel from X-Caliber around Christmas. Camo dipped the stock and added some upgrades. Group is one ragged hole at 100 yards

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive got a new-to-me Tikka 595 7mm08 with beautiful wood that I'll be rigging out soon that I hope to use part of this season. But if I don't get it ready in time, I've got a brace of ol' reliables that are ready to go.

But what I've GOT to get ready is a youth stocked Browning Micro Medallion in .257 Roberts I bought here on the Fire. It's for my oldest Grandson, 8 y/o. He's already chompin at the bit wanting to go. Gonna run off some light loads for him to practice with.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

This one recently got dropped off. Hoping it shoots cause man I wanna use it!

That is one pretty rifle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bringing a 300wsm model 70 back online now that i found some federal fusion 165 gr. Was trying to sell it for a while.

Using a meopro 4x12x50 on top.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Didn’t have anything to add to this thread until recently…couldn’t resist a No. 1S in 7X57…scope coming this week, already have dies, bullets and brass…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a new rifle, but a new load. I have found that the 101LRX will drive tacks in my 257AI at about 3150ish. . Anxious to see how bambi reacts to them...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a new rifle, but a new load. I have found that the 101LRX will drive tacks in my 257AI at about 3150ish. . Anxious to see how bambi and porky react to them...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Magnificent!

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one has already passed the gopher test. Deer will be this fall…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I needed one it would be one of these:

Tikka T-3 Superlight in
7mm-08 or 6.5 Creed.

In my mind they are perfect for whitetail or mulies.

Stick a Maven 2x10x38mm RS2 (11 ounces I think) to save weight and color me done.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Only new addition this year is this 1985 vintage H&R model 258 .30-30.

This one ain't new, have had it for years, but I broke down and had it drilled for scope bases and mounted an old Weaver 1.5-4.5x with the old flat topped Post & Crosshair. Gonna try to poke a deer with it this year.

.401 Win SL

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Unintended 6.5x55.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well I sure don't need a new rifle but got one on the way. Dropped off a 700 ADL in 243 at the gunsmith and he's rebarreling it to 260 Rem. That will make three 6.5's for me. A 6.5x06 on a 700 BDL, a 6.5x55 Winchester Featherweight and now a 260 Rem. Really got the 6.5 want to's!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Going to be a tough call...Remington 673 in 350 Rem mag or BLR in 358 Win.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Would like a Winchester Model 70 featherweight oak in 308. Not that I need another 308....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Picked up what may be one of the last left-handed 6.5x55 Tikka T3Xs in the US. Preferred Barrel Blanks barrel and Mesa Precision stock already on order, on top of a few small parts. Figured I might as well switch over to all left-handed hunting rifles at this point and replace my Fieldcraft 6.5x55. It'll keep the 9.3x62 company.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually a couple new to me ones. An early TC Hawken 50 cal that is a lazer and a Tikka T3 I re barreled into a 35 Remington that is slick as owl chit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a deer rifle per day as it’s more of a do all just picked up my new lightweight 7 saum from the smith last week. It’s shooting 180 Berger’s very well at 2845 fps on a new barrel and virgin brass. I can see it being one of my most used.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't know if I'm drawing deer this year, but I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout on the way - a lefty .308 Win. I don't know about the "scout" concept, but I do know the units I applied for this year would include me tip-toeing through the pines. A short-barreled, quick-handling rifle with the bolt on the proper side and a wooden stock seem about right for the job. I've wanted a .308 Win. for a while, plus I've been shooting Ruger bolts for several decades now, so it should be familiar.

Last edited by AZ Southpaw; 06/16/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had no plans, but a local shop had a cheap ass Ruger American in .308 that already had a timney trigger. Considering the trigger was over $100 the rifle was really cheap and felt lightweight. It's the lightest rifle I have. This was the first 5 shots after 2 to sight in. If I don't tag out with the bow, I might finish up with this one.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I need another deer rifle, like I need syphilis.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is no "need" involved here! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not so much "new" but I have several that I have acquired over the past few years that have yet to be hunted.

Ruger M77 African 6.5x55
CA Mesa 7mm-08
Ruger American 358 WCF
Sako 85 7x64

Now that I am "retired" I plan on taking full advantage of the VA and NC deer seasons this fall.

Might have to add my Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel to the list.

StarchedCover

Last edited by StarchedCover; 06/18/23.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thinking about making this the Year of the .223. Have the new Carbon Mini finalized (I think) and some Barnes bullets plus a bunch of Nosler 64gr bonded ammo I scored for about a buck a pop when SPS was still worth checking out. We have five doe days in October that most seem to ignore, a good chance for some pleasant weather and the woods to myself. On the two geezer days, I don’t even need a tag.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have two this year. A custom 250/3000 built on a faux Kurz Mauser action and a Dakota M10 in 6.5X55 purchased here. I'm working on the logistics of picking up the Dakota, I really don't want to ship it but I'd like to have it in time to work up a load for it to go to Texas in September.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Maybe use a Grendel some this year. Usually use one for hog control.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a couple of guns ready. Still have a few more to do. All groups at 100 yards except the Glock. Also all copper bullets.

You ain't about that life.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
While not needed in the least, most definitely a BIG want, I bought 2 - 7mm Rem Mags yesterday. Got to my favorite LGS and someone had brought the rifles in to put on consignment. One is a very, very nice older Remington 700 BDL with a Leupold 2.5-8x36 and sling and the other is an almost as nice Ruger M77 MK II stainless steel (no sights) in the Zytel "boat paddle" synthetic stock. The Ruger also wears a Leupold 2.5-8x36 but with the silver finish and also has a sling on it. So both rifles are ready to go, they'll just get my deep clean done to them. For what the asking price was for the 2 rifles, I couldn't afford not to buy them!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 06/18/23. Reason: add info

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

If the second was the result of the first, I'd need a constant IV drip of penicillin.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
While not needed in the least, most definitely a BIG want, I bought 2 - 7mm Rem Mags yesterday. Got to my favorite LGS and someone had brought the rifles in to put on consignment. One is a very, very nice older Remington 700 BDL with a Leupold 2.5-8x36 and sling and the other is an almost as nice Ruger M77 MK II stainless steel (no sights) in the Zytel "boat paddle" synthetic stock. The Ruger also wears a Leupold 2.5-8x36 but with the silver finish and also has a sling on it. So both rifles are ready to go, they'll just get my deep clean done to them. For what the asking price was for the 2 rifles, I couldn't afford not to buy them!

It’s hard to pass up a good deal Dean, I can’t

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

If the second was the result of the first, I'd need a constant IV drip of penicillin.

Me too, only bought 2 so far this year

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would like to but at my age its time to start selling off, so I'll fight the temptation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ended up buying another rifle a few months back. I rebought
a Tikka last season and a few months later picked up a Browning X-Bolt in an 18” .308 with a trumpeted barrel for suppressor use. I’ll use this rig when the kids are with me.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have two rifles for this upcoming season that haven't seen a deer season. A custom 250/3000 and a Dakota M10 6.5X55

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948
I only got 3/4 of the way through the 4 rifle rotation I had planned this year. Now I've started playing with my long-dormant .25-06AI and different bullets so I think I'll throw that into the mix which is like getting a new rifle, I haven't used it in so long. I may also retrieve my .303 Savage that's currently at my son's house to quiet the inexplicable urge I have had lately to get get a .30-30.

I really don't have any desire to get a new (or new to me) rifle. I'm really trying to cut back. I recently sent two handguns and a rifle down the road and used the proceeds to buy a new sporting clays gun which I like a lot. However, I find myself asking why because I only shoot sporting clays a couple of times a month and I've always been happy to do it with my duck gun or one of my bird guns.

All that said, even though I'm not actively looking for another gun of any kind, if I come across any one of several revolvers, shotguns or rifles at anywhere near the right price they will come home with me. I don't think I'll ever be cured.

Update: Still working with the .25-06 AI, have a bunch of cases ready to be fireformed. Had my son bring me the .303 Savage when he came to visit about a month ago. As far as new (to me) goes, recently acquired a No. 1A in 7X57 and development is coming along well, so...yes, going to have a new deer rifle this season.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Deer season just isn't the same without a new rifle to bring it in. I deer hunt from 11/15 through 1/1 and typically 10 different rifles go to the blind. This year I'll focus on the 250/3000 and the 6.5X55 and any rifle that hasn't been bloodied will go at least once.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been selling off firearms the last 10 years, not buying-with one exception: bought a used BACO Win 70 Extreme Weather 30-06 5+ years ago.

So, "No", no firearm purchases for this hunting season.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I got one for this season, but I didn't draw any tags here in my home/native state. This was my last crack at a big game hunt, so it and some others are now for sale. I'll draw way down and empty two safes soon.

Wby Vanguard KUIU Vias 26" barrel in 6.5-300 Wby. I wish I had one of these a long time ago.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't buy rifles anymore , with Oregon Liberals dumbass gun buying laws...

I just rebarrel something anymore...

latest is a 6 x 45. Don't know why I didn't make one of these 40 years ago....

We are talking blacktails here. Although I've shot them over 200 pounds... most of them are more in the 100 to 120 pound range. There not hard to put down either....

Our season is like 5 or 6 weeks here, so I'll be carrying the 6 x 45 or the 6.5 Grendel depending on my mood for the day, this coming fall....Considering a deer a year is all they allow... I'm set for the next 10,000 plus seasons....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a couple this year that will allow me to downsize in other areas.

One was a 30-06 that will replace a 300H&H.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ROSSI is now building a new levergun in 30-30 for a lot less money than Marlin or Winchester. - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I didn't get a new rifle for the upcoming season, even better. My county was "slug gun or muzzleloading" only for deer and black bear. I hate slug guns and have never had any interest in muzzleloaders.

Out with the Remington 11-87 12 ga. cantilever /w Leupold VX2 w/3-9x40mm Shotgun scope setup and in with the rifles.

My main rifle/carbine setup, 2 to 200 yards or so, my Remington 750 Woodsmaster Carbine (18.5" bbl.) 30-06 Spr. w/Leupold VX2 2-7x33mm scope.

Longer range setup, Remington 700 Classic 280 Rem. w/Leupold VX2 4-12x40mm scope.

Lever guns, Marlin 336C 35 Rem. and 336Y 30-30 Win. (12.5" LOP w/16.25" bbl.) both with peep sights.

Can't wait, good luck, NYH2.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
New Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My deer/elk arsenal has, for many yrs., centered around .243, .308, 30-06 & .300 WM; however, very recently, I have yielded to general opinion and added a 6.5 CM.. The jury is still out, however, it's looking pretty good - the 143 gr ELD-X hand-loaded ammo should be a plenty for NW Fla. White Tails and the 6.5 CM is definitely not a barrel burner.

Dave
Life Member NRA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well, I received a rifle I used over 34 years ago for a birthday present. Its a 'sporterised' 1917 Enfield high standard barrel, chambered in caliber 30, year of 1906

I remember the excitement when I downed my first deer with that old Enfield....I gunna try to re-live that nostalgia with an elk and that rifle this year.... I never did connect with an elk with it back then...

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by boomwack

Well, I received a rifle I used over 34 years ago for a birthday present. Its a 'sporterised' 1917 Enfield high standard barrel, chambered in caliber 30, year of 1906

I remember the excitement when I downed my first deer with that old Enfield....I gunna try to re-live that nostalgia with an elk and that rifle this year.... I never did connect with an elk with it back then...

That is awesome. What scope is on it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a hawke vantage 4x12-40 with adjustable objective. It was going to go on the .223, but it's now on the enfield.

Plan on sighting it in today matter of fact...finally got ahead of some chores. Loaded up a bunch of 165 gr. Btips for it to run.

Last edited by boomwack; 09/17/23.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
M70 EW 6.5cm, McM Hunters Edge, MeoPro 3-9x40 #4.

-JW
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought this Hawkeye RSI .308 off the classifieds earlier this year. I mounted a Leupold Big Bore 3x with the Heavy duplex and a Montana sling. It already had a trigger job done.

I got this Tikka T3x Lite .308 a week ago and mounted a Leupold VX3 3.5x10 with Talley LW low rings. I just ordered a High Desert aluminum bottom metal.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.