Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What's you guys' thoughts on Cooper being bought out by and moving operations to Nighthawk Customs in Arkansas??

Almost purchased a Cooper here on the fire a few weeks ago and started looking into ordering a rifle from them and now this. Operations closed until further notice.

What says the fire??

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the price....build a custom.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Esox357
For the price....build a custom.

Hard to have a custom built for what one can buy a Cooper, should one be diligent.

Chances are it wiil not shoot better and should you desire to let your custom follow someone else home it will bring less.

Ask me how I know??

ya!
GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/11/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Every one I've owned (10 I can think of) has been a solid, reliable, and very accurate rifle.

If I wanted a nice wood stocked rifle, I wouldn't look any further.

In synthetic stocked rifles, they have less appeal to me, though the M92 Backcountry is a fine lightweight rifle.

The good news is that if you change your mind on it, you may even make money on the resale.

Typically a home-grown custom loses 50%.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
What's you guys' thoughts on Cooper being bought out by and moving operations to Nighthawk Customs in Arkansas??

Almost purchased a Cooper here on the fire a few weeks ago and started looking into ordering a rifle from them and now this. Operations closed until further notice.

What says the fire??

At a certain point, who cares.

There are enough model 16's, 21's, 22's, 38's 57m's, 52's, 54''s , M56's, etc, that a fellow could not buy them all should he win the lottery, and I'm behind the curve.

Here is an example of which I'm trying to restrain myself as I've bought a half dozen in the last couple months.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...6-zeiss-scope-and-rcbs-dies#Post17996948

Figuring in the scope and dies, you're in this rifle for a max of $1,550.

If ya take your wife and kids to dinner you're gonna spend a Benjamin. That will last a couple hours. This rifle can be enjoyed until it's time to let it follow someone else home and most likely you can make a profit.

Hard to lose by making a profit!

If you lose a Benjamin or two, that 's cheap entertainment should you keep it for a couple years.

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/11/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve got a few and had a few more, nothing shot better out of the box. I shoot them quite a bit and like them.

I don’t like them leaving Montana, but there is nothing I can do about it..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have had two Cooper model 52 Excaliburs, one 30-06 and a 25-06, and they both shot very well and were very reliable. I only shot factory loads in them and they put all I tried into less than 1" 5-shot groups, and with the ammo they liked would be closer to 3/4" 5-shots groups. I also had a Jackson Squirrel Rifle in 22lr that had beautiful wood on it and put many different rimfire brands into little small 10 shot groups at 50 yards.

My very lucky 19 year old grandson now has all three rifles.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I have had two Cooper model 52 Excaliburs, one 30-06 and a 25-06, and they both shot very well and were very reliable. I only shot factory loads in them and they put all I tried into less than 1" 5-shot groups, and with the ammo they liked would be closer to 3/4" 5-shots groups. I also had a Jackson Squirrel Rifle in 22lr that had beautiful wood on it and put many different rimfire brands into little small 10 shot groups at 50 yards.

My very lucky 19 year old grandson now has all three rifles.
Damn, all I got was my grandads pipe

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Friend of mine was fond of Coopers. Went to the range with him one day and he put one on the bags at the 200 yard butt. .308 it was. 5 shots from a cold, clean barrel = one ragged hole.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am with geedubya on his outlook. IMO now is the time to buy a Cooper, with a little diligent shopping it is possible to find them at very reasonable prices.

I am reminded of the Kimber of Oregon situation where that after they shut down Kimbers could be had for a song, those same rifles today bring much more than they were bought for, I forsee the same with the Cooper of Montana rifles.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by drover
I am with geedubya on his outlook. IMO now is the time to buy a Cooper, with a little diligent shopping it is possible to find them at very reasonable prices.

Absolutely! Because of the economy, Cooper rifles are selling at a big discount right now.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
My thoughts are that if they don't try to change it into something else, no big deal. However, if they have stars in their eyes such that their thoughts are: "We can change this, that and the other thing for cost savings while maximizing our profits by charging the same as has been charged in the past", then I'm concerned. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Had a 264 Win mag, damn sure a shooter, beautiful stock.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have three varmint rifles and a Western Classic 22LR. All are excellent shooters. I also have several custom rifles that shoot much better than I do. At the end of the day a custom rifle might not bring the return that the Cooper might in a resale situation but you have exactly what you want.
Look on Guns International there not being given away. I have my eye on two and both are over $4500 that's not a fire sale price.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Friend of mine was fond of Coopers. Went to the range with him one day and he put one on the bags at the 200 yard butt. .308 it was. 5 shots from a cold, clean barrel = one ragged hole.

I'm still thinking about buying a Cooper that is on my radar. Great deal too. I realize they shoot well, but much the same can be said about Tikka. But you can buy 3 Tikka rifles for the price of a Cooper. That is why I'm on the fence..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is 5 shots from my buddies tikka we took out a month ago. ^^^^ He's in the local SWAT and he wanted me to shoot his rifle to see what it could do. I told him to never sell the damn thing...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by drover

Absolutely! Because of the economy, Cooper rifles are selling at a big discount right now.

You guys are spot on.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I realize they shoot well, but much the same can be said about Tikka. But you can buy 3 Tikka rifles for the price of a Cooper. That is why I'm on the fence..

I have trouble walking when carrying 3 rifles . . . I stumble around. They snag stuff. I drop them. laugh

So since I can only manage one, I sure like having a Cooper in my hands.

Added: In reality, by the time you factor in good glass and mounts for one rifle versus multiple rifles, It's closer to 2 Tikkas per Cooper.

Last edited by WhelenAway; 01/12/23. Reason: Added info

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
B
I own quite a few rifles...My two Coopers are my favorite. Short of a full custom build, I dont think you can get any better.....if any better at all.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I'm still thinking about buying a Cooper that is on my radar. Great deal too. I realize they shoot well, but much the same can be said about Tikka. But you can buy 3 Tikka rifles for the price of a Cooper. That is why I'm on the fence..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is 5 shots from my buddies tikka we took out a month ago. ^^^^ He's in the local SWAT and he wanted me to shoot his rifle to see what it could do. I told him to never sell the damn thing...

No doubt the Tikkas shoot lights out. But the two Coopers I've encountered in person had some of the nicest walnut I've ever seen and the overall quality was in another league from any of the entry/mid-level plastic guns. (That said, I know not everyone here is into walnut/blued, so that factor may not matter to you.)

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have 7 right now and have had 8 others . All of them shot as well as the factory target. A couple of them I wish I still had. I had a 260 with a synthetic stock. It just didn't feel right not to have a nice piece of walnut on a Cooper

Last edited by boatammo; 03/28/23.

MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
375 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 36 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,898
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.