Print Thread
Hop To
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I spent most of Saturday in the office but sneaked out for a solo trip by Harrold later in the afternoon. The dogs and I stink at the obligatory end of hunt picture with birds and shotgun.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
On Sunday we rounded up some friends and went over for a redux. The weather was starting to turn, so we hatched a plan based on what I call "every man for himself." Meaning go out there with a general area to cover and when you see birds follow them up and get on them. As it turned out, I moved quite a few birds toward others but had only one opportunity upon which I capitalized with my trusty 20ga using one ounce of #6 shot in 2-3/4" shells. I made my way back to my truck and waited by a friend's truck to regroup. As I waited he approached with his Viszla, and another companion with his munsterlander drove up as well. Viszla man flushed two birds and missed both (a common theme as it turned out) and Munsterlander Owner got his shotgun out in time to hit but not grass a third rooster which then lit about a quarter mile away up the road. The group proceeded to look for it for a few minutes until the Flash was let out for a prompt recovery. He was proud as a peacock and took the bird on a victory lap which in my mind was well deserved.

It was late in the day, windy and chilly and people wanted to go home so sent birds with others and there was about 15 mins of daylight left. I took a spin around the property and saw about 8 roosters light 100 yards into the deep grass. Just enough time to go see if I could pot one of the inferior birds, so Lola and I left a protesting Flash in his crate, and walked out there to sort out the invasive species. I walked about 20 steps further than I thought I should have had to, and stopped to reassess my location. A rooster busted to my left, and I missed, but a second had busted an instant later and closer. I popped him but he skittered away over the top of the grass. Roosters were now busting everywhere around me and I dumped one to my right, and walked to the spot where he'd gone down. I looked around, whistling and calling for Lola, by now the sun is down, and Im thinking this didn't work out as well as I'd planned. Two lost pheasants and one lost dog. Eff.

More than three, less than five minutes later, here comes that little black dog with a rather busted up yet still alive rooster in her mouth, and I was quite overjoyed at her success. The grass is thick and deep, and full of scent because its full of pheasants. I praised her and told her to "find another one." She took two spins around my general area, moved in on a tuft of grass near my feet, almost disappeared under it, and pulled out my second bird. At this point, I was quite proud of her and of both of them really. The picture doesn't do them justice at all. If the blizzard puts an end to our hunting this year, well, we went out on a high note.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by BKinSD; 12/12/22.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Enjoyed the hunt story. Looks like a couple mature Birds.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No snow on the ground over there! We're covered up in snow with more on the way this week. It definitely reduces my ambition when it comes to doing stuff outside these days. Looks like you had a couple of good days over your dogs. I'm hoping to get some more in before it's all over here.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
We got throttled with it pretty darn heavy. Biggest December storm in a long long time, 12 years probably. Unless this melts which looks unlikely, my hunting is coming to a close this year I'm afraid.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great story and pic's

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done and well told! Would love to live in a place to do that on the regular.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, super lucky to live here and have the kinds of friends and opportunities I enjoy. It was a conscious choice to live here and I'm super glad its worked out as well as it has.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Good hunt.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Sounds like a fun day BK. Need some pix of that Vizsla doing work!

-Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun-
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It was a good day for sure. She deserves a better shooter for an owner, that's for sure. It'll be too cold for her from here on out I'm afraid. Nice dog, I'm sure they have their place but late season pheasant hunting in the upper midwest isn't it.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Two very good reasons to hunt with dogs..good on them.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Good story, thanks for sharing. Nothing like hunting with good dogs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Outstanding! I know the feeling of having two roosters down and not sure if you'll get either one. Love it when the dog makes me look like a better shot than I am, by finding those I scratch down!

Weather robbed me of my planned hunt last weekend. Storm in Nov with 21" and another 20" week before Christmas. Our season closes next Sunday:(

Merry Christmas BK!

Do or do not, there is no try.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pointer
Well done and well told! Would love to live in a place to do that on the regular.

+1000 I would have a 3 deep lineup of bird dogs.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by BKinSD
It was a good day for sure. She deserves a better shooter for an owner, that's for sure. It'll be too cold for her from here on out I'm afraid. Nice dog, I'm sure they have their place but late season pheasant hunting in the upper midwest isn't it.

Yes winter is not their strong suit. They don't have an undercoat, mine is about bald on her tummy. We've been out in the teens chasing Ruffs but I'm sure its much colder out your way.

-Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun-

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.