Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Called Boyds Stocks today and asked if they made a 223, LH Ruger American Rifle stock, With AICS magazines, No they don.t make one for that caliber.
So what are the options to have a AICS mag for a 223 RAR? Only one I can think of is a RH 223 RAR stock, with AICS mag, and convert that to LH.

Any other options, I tweaked my 3 factory mags to get them to function, but they are still glitchy.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
BP-B2

B
B
Sharps bros makes a left hand chassis for the RAR, that may be a solution. Not sure if anyone else makes one in left hand.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
If it is a newer Ruger American it will have the modular mag well with inserts. Ruger has the parts to convert it to AI style.
However, the bolts for the AR and AI magazine guns are notched out on the bottom. Maybe they all are now, not sure.
It is pretty obvious. Either the bolt is smooth and round or it looks like it was fed into a CNC machine operated by a drunk dyslexic.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
The LH RAR stock does not have the removable plate for the modular mag well. Did not know the bolts were notched.

Shot my RAR LH 223 yesterday the factory mags are awful, they feed like 1.5 year old that does like its food.

kk alaska

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a friend give me his RH predator stock with the modular well. I bought a mag well that uses AR mags, but so far its a project that hasn't happened yet. I do know I'll have to hog out the trigger well as to LH and RH triggers are not the same, which I don't understand with a tang safety but that's what it is.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by KenMi
If it is a newer Ruger American it will have the modular mag well with inserts. Ruger has the parts to convert it to AI style.
However, the bolts for the AR and AI magazine guns are notched out on the bottom. Maybe they all are now, not sure.
It is pretty obvious. Either the bolt is smooth and round or it looks like it was fed into a CNC machine operated by a drunk dyslexic.

Looked at a New RH Ruger American 223 with AICS mag today and bolt looks like you described, so looks like converting a LH RAR in 223 to AICS style mag is a no go. Any one want to be a pioneer and make this work????

kk alaska

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kk alaska
The LH RAR stock does not have the removable plate for the modular mag well. Did not know the bolts were notched.

Shot my RAR LH 223 yesterday the factory mags are awful, they feed like 1.5 year old that does like its food.
I’m not sure if we’re using the same mags but my son’s lh 223 American feeds like shat through a goose with the factory polymer rotary magazine. Maybe we got lucky?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yeah, Ruger made some blunders on the magazines in the American line. Using the AR magazines for 223 and 350 was stupid as well. They could have designed a simple stack mag for those cartridges that would have fed beautifully and not looked like a horses ass sticking below the gun.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Ruger certainly has not been/is not very lh friendly. I recently looked at a rh 350 legend with the box magazine and was shocked at how rough and crude it appeared, could barely run the action. No way I would buy one if it was offered lh.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Called Ruger Customer Service today and they are sending me a new RAR 223 rotary mag to replace one of my bad ones that will not feed last round. Ruger is good at taking care of any issues in my experience. You may have to make more than one call to get to the right person.

kk alaska

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
399 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.