Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Your lack of comprehension is still showing itself. I doubt one more time will make any difference with you but I will give it the old college try.

I process my own game. I always do an assessment of the bullet path. There was LITTLE internal damage done along the wound channel and LITTLE bruised bloodshot meat. The internal organs were NOT turned to soup but had a small wound channel through them. Every animal required another shot. None fell at the shot.

Again you love copper bullets, I get it. My experience and those of numerous other member here and some other forums that I visit shows that not everyone has positive experiences with copper. Get over it.

Comprehension has nothing to do with my post. Simply put you are full of BS.

I prosecess mine and I kill them with COPPER bullets and your claims do not meet the smell tests.

We have a 6 deer šŸ¦Œ limit here and I seldom use Amy bullets that isn't copper

Now I hope your Comprehension can comprehend

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
In ā€œstandardā€ velocity cartridges I donā€™t think theyā€™re as effective as softer lead cored bullets if you stay off the shoulders. Plus I can see no benefit to them on deer sized game from cartridges producing less than 2800fps.

High velocity magnums theyā€™re easier on meat to some extent. Large game like elk, moose, or something along those lines they often give deeper penetration through heavier bones than a lead cored bullet might.

TheKid;
Morning sir or at least it's still a foggy morning here in southern BC, regardless I trust you and your fine family are well.

With the understanding that all my comments on monometal bullets are based on results on local whitetail and mulie bucks only, I'd offer some of our observations.

In about 2008 when the girls had just started hunting I'd been experimenting with monometal bullets enough that we switched to them exclusively. We've used Barnes TSX, TTSX and Hornady GMX in a few different rifles. Also as other respondents have stated, we process all our own game so that helps form opinions on what the bullet did inside the animal.

As well as velocity, I believe that the bullet RPM affects how well monometal bullets do or do not open up. We've seen this in a Swede carbine which only pushes a 130gr TSX to 2650fps but we've not had a single buck stop one. A couple were what we'd consider fairly far away, but since we weren't using a range finder all ranges are estimates only.

Apologies for those who've seen this photo before, here are 3 of the 4 monometal bullets we've found. Left to right they are a .257" 80gr TTSX from a .250AI, .277" 130gr GMX from a .270 and a .308" 168gr TSX from a .308 Norma. The 168gr TSX traveled the furthest through the animal.

[Linked Image]

Somehow I lost a photo of a .277" 130gr TTSX out of the same .270 and it's interesting to note that we found two bullets out of it and that it had a slower than usual twist barrel as well as being a somewhat "slow" barrel so they were maybe 2850fps and slow RPM from it's 11.75" twist barrel.

On perfect broadside shots if one avoids the shoulders, I'd say that a cup and core will kill a buck quicker than a monometal.

If somehow one botches up the first shot and the only shot one has on the wounded animal is either rear facing or quartering away where we'll need to plow through the grass bag first is where the monometal bullets shine.

There's a whole bunch of reasons here where we'll want to stop the animal where its standing, mostly because we're in the cliffs - we're always hunting mountains here but some places obviously are big swamps or valleys. The plus for us is it's all public land so there's typically nothing other than time and the mountain in the way of us tracking down something we hit.

I will admit that sometimes that has been enough that we have not found what has been hit, but where it was hit is impossible to know for sure.

Lastly as you said, they're "easier on meat to some extent" in that there aren't as many secondary wounds that we'll see when lead goes into different places.

I'd say as a broad statement that the wound channel is longer with a monometal but usually smaller in diameter.

Anyways sir, that's been our experience with them thus far - again on whitetail and mulie bucks only.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/15/23. Reason: added the "not" had a single buck stop a 130gr TSX

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
On average a cup and core probably has a slight advantage on straight rib cage shot. But i shot a deer this year with a 180 TTSX straight rib cage and the deer went half a body length. That's rather good in my opinion

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very well written šŸ‘ ! Thanks! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Very well written šŸ‘ ! Thanks! memtb

BC30cal is an excellent writer and has accurate info

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by TheKid
In ā€œstandardā€ velocity cartridges I donā€™t think theyā€™re as effective as softer lead cored bullets if you stay off the shoulders. Plus I can see no benefit to them on deer sized game from cartridges producing less than 2800fps.

High velocity magnums theyā€™re easier on meat to some extent. Large game like elk, moose, or something along those lines they often give deeper penetration through heavier bones than a lead cored bullet might.

TheKid;
Morning sir or at least it's still a foggy morning here in southern BC, regardless I trust you and your fine family are well.

With the understanding that all my comments on monometal bullets are based on results on local whitetail and mulie bucks only, I'd offer some of our observations.

In about 2008 when the girls had just started hunting I'd been experimenting with monometal bullets enough that we switched to them exclusively. We've used Barnes TSX, TTSX and Hornady GMX in a few different rifles. Also as other respondents have stated, we process all our own game so that helps form opinions on what the bullet did inside the animal.

As well as velocity, I believe that the bullet RPM affects how well monometal bullets do or do not open up. We've seen this in a Swede carbine which only pushes a 130gr TSX to 2650fps but we've had a single buck stop one. A couple were what we'd consider fairly far away, but since we weren't using a range finder all ranges are estimates only.

Apologies for those who've seen this photo before, here are 3 of the 4 monometal bullets we've found. Left to right they are a .257" 80gr TTSX from a .250AI, .277" 130gr GMX from a .270 and a .308" 168gr TSX from a .308 Norma. The 168gr TSX traveled the furthest through the animal.

[Linked Image]

Somehow I lost a photo of a .277" 130gr TTSX out of the same .270 and it's interesting to note that we found two bullets out of it and that it had a slower than usual twist barrel as well as being a somewhat "slow" barrel so they were maybe 2850fps and slow RPM from it's 11.75" twist barrel.

On perfect broadside shots if one avoids the shoulders, I'd say that a cup and core will kill a buck quicker than a monometal.

If somehow one botches up the first shot and the only shot one has on the wounded animal is either rear facing or quartering away where we'll need to plow through the grass bag first is where the monometal bullets shine.

There's a whole bunch of reasons here where we'll want to stop the animal where its standing, mostly because we're in the cliffs - we're always hunting mountains here but some places obviously are big swamps or valleys. The plus for us is it's all public land so there's typically nothing other than time and the mountain in the way of us tracking down something we hit.

I will admit that sometimes that has been enough that we have not found what has been hit, but where it was hit is impossible to know for sure.

Lastly as you said, they're "easier on meat to some extent" in that there aren't as many secondary wounds that we'll see when lead goes into different places.

I'd say as a broad statement that the wound channel is longer with a monometal but usually smaller in diameter.

Anyways sir, that's been our experience with them thus far - again on whitetail and mulie bucks only.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

In a world that has become increasingly uncivil, especially in regard to differing opinions, I always enjoy reading your posts. They're always based in real world experience and are presented without the intent to provoke offense. You're also not unduly offended when someone disagrees with you.

I hope you have an excellent day and that you and your family are well. I'll look forward to your next post.

Frank

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by MAC
A couple years ago I got a 308 Win, which was a caliber I never owned. Got the reloading components and began playing with loads. Quit playing when I tried the 130 Gr Barnes TTSX over Varget powder:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Loaded up a bunch of ammo and have been hunting with that load for the last 2 seasons. All the game below fell to that load and all were one shot kills.

I see NO reason to use any other bullet. If your rifle shoots all copper bullets well, and mine does, then use them with confidence.

Darn big cat. Congratulations.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Secondly, here in the west it is quite likely a matter of time before lead core bullets will be prohibited. Although that may not be much of a factor for you in Georgia.

Only because we live in a state that rolled over in to blue. I doubt MT and WY is close. With so few Republicans in the legislature now and Polis up for another term, what firearms we may own is may soon overshadow what we can shoot in them.

Stop it SS.
Although Iā€™m probably more unhappy than you about Colorado being invaded by lifestyle immigrants and their politics, the science behind lead toxicity, the levels of lead toxicity in raptors, and the effect of lead toxicity on raptors, is sound.
No different than the lead shot debate 35+ years ago. Deja Vu all over againā€¦..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
Your lack of comprehension is still showing itself. I doubt one more time will make any difference with you but I will give it the old college try.

I process my own game. I always do an assessment of the bullet path. There was LITTLE internal damage done along the wound channel and LITTLE bruised bloodshot meat. The internal organs were NOT turned to soup but had a small wound channel through them. Every animal required another shot. None fell at the shot.

Again you love copper bullets, I get it. My experience and those of numerous other member here and some other forums that I visit shows that not everyone has positive experiences with copper. Get over it.

I prosecess mine and I kill them with COPPER bullets and your claims do not meet the smell tests.

Yea your the man........NOT.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Reasons to:
Health concerns
Your gun shoots them well
Your shots stay mostly under 500 ish yards give or take

Reasons not to:
Your rifle lacks the speed needed to make them expand
Lousy BCā€™s
You shoot/hunt long range
You like lead in your pencil

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/15/23.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Secondly, here in the west it is quite likely a matter of time before lead core bullets will be prohibited. Although that may not be much of a factor for you in Georgia.

Only because we live in a state that rolled over in to blue. I doubt MT and WY is close. With so few Republicans in the legislature now and Polis up for another term, what firearms we may own is may soon overshadow what we can shoot in them.

Stop it SS.
Although Iā€™m probably more unhappy than you about Colorado being invaded by lifestyle immigrants and their politics, the science behind lead toxicity, the levels of lead toxicity in raptors, and the effect of lead toxicity on raptors, is sound.
No different than the lead shot debate 35+ years ago. Deja Vu all over againā€¦..

Maybe raptors and water fowl, but not humans. As far as I know birds grind their food in he gizzards. Not so with humans. Lead dust in your lungs will kill you. Not so much, lead particles ingested and passed thru the intestines. I have stacked tons of lead shot and bricks for radiation shielding and have eaten lead killed rabbits, squirrels, elk deer, antelope, drank water from lead pipes when young. Many cities still deliver water in lead pipes, (Colorado Springs being one of them), many homes still have soldered copper pipe in them. Asbestos is killing me, but not lead. Only have to do a simple search of hunters
using lead bullets to see there is no viable proof. Here is one such article. https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/f...ldlife-separating-science-from-advocacy. Another farce brought on by the anti's, about like gas stoves being dangerous now.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/15/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dwayne,
I too always appreciate your posts!

I have a couple friends who I call ā€œcopper loonysā€ and they have been using copper bullets almost exclusively for more than a decade. Mostly out of SA chamberings. Whenever they can draw a tag they often hunt two or more states each fall.

They have come to like the E Tips for performance on game, although they think the ETips can be a bit more picky when developing loads.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fshaw
Darn big cat. Congratulations.

Thanks. 46 inches from nose to the tip of the tail. Biggest bobcat I have ever seen.

For all those saying that copper bullets do not expand I'd like you to look at this photo. That is the exit wound on a pronghorn buck shot with a 130 gr Barnes TTSX loaded with Varget Powder for a velocity of 2896 fps (per the Barnes data) and it cut an exit hole bigger than a 50 cent piece. Bullet hit the lower lungs and the top of the heart. Both lungs were shredded and the heart was completely detached from the arteries and veins at the top. What more can you ask for?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lolā€¦ā€¦!

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My only reason for not shooting copper full time is the amount & comfort I have for c&c or partitions. If I were starting over Iā€™d go copper 100%

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

LMAO šŸ˜† , you are the only one claiming that they don't open and don't inflict major damage

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker
Blood testing is about worthless for determining your bodies lead load. Lead leaves the blood stream relatively quickly. It hides out in the bones, brain and other tissues for decades.
Mono metal bullets do not work as well as lead and copper bullets as it pertains to killing quickly, but I use them and have been for a long team because I would rather not ingest lead.

[ the science behind lead toxicity, the levels of lead toxicity in raptors, and the effect of lead toxicity on raptors, is sound.

As Smokepole referenced, I've had at least three mono failures (by "failure" I mean non-expansion), and combining friends experiences that number goes into the dozens. Mono's do "fail" more consistently than standard bullets. However, as I've gotten older, and hopefully a bit more thoughtful, I've come around to the thinking expressed by Ben and Casey above. The science is "in" and is essentially irrefutable. If you like staring at silica below ground level, go for it - I'll take the science.

Having said all that, all things being equal, I am fairly certain lead/copper bullets kill more quickly and consistently than mono bullets. OTOH, dead is dead even if a dozen yards further. If I were younger and starting out I'd run mono's in everything. Since I have thousand's of lead/copper bullets on hand and am over 60 years old, I doubt I'll change what I do.

Mono's are the future and rightfully so.

ā€œPerfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Awayā€ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

LMAO šŸ˜† , you are the only one claiming that they don't open and don't inflict major damage

Oh really, why don't you PM a member here named Brad, for starters.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Oh really, why don't you PM a member here named Brad, for starters.

I don't need to PM Brad I kill more deer per year, since we a 6 deer limit. I posted that already

Originally Posted by TakeEm
I have killed more game with Barnes copper bullets than others. Iā€™ve seen them used or used them myself to kill Coyotes,Antelope, Whitetails, Mule Deer, and Elk. Cartridges ranged from .223, .243, 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, and .300 Win Mag.

I started using them in a .30-06 in 1994 when Dad wanted a reduced load for it so I could start Deer hunting. We used the 125 Barnes X. I kept using the ā€˜06 and it worked so well that when my brother started out with his .243 we loaded Barnes for him. Iā€™ve always been able to get them to shoot in every rifle I have loaded them in.

I like them and they havenā€™t failed me yet although they arenā€™t needed for Deer and Antelope, I prefer them because of how well they penetrate. All the loads Iā€™ve done are over 3,000 fps and going well above the minimum impact velocity at impact. Iā€™ve used conventional bullets to kill game smaller than Elk. Obviously they work and will work on larger game as well. I just prefer the Barnes. They are more expensive and the BCs arenā€™t the best. I prefer the tipped version for easier expansion myself.

Long way of saying, no, there is no reason not to use them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Reasons not to:
Your rifle lacks the speed needed to make them expand

How much is needed? Below is a LRX I dug out of the ground after a hundred yard rib shot on a deer. MV was a sedate 2675 fps. Exit wound indicated it expanded before hitting terra firma.
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.