-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With RPM based upon twist I suppose that when accuracy is lost on either side of the twist spectrum performance would be compromised. So there must be a range of acceptable twists for any given bullet length & caliber. Velocity would play out in terms of how fast one could spin a bullet based upon its design. Each bullet design having its optimal twist maximizing blender effect & velocity based on individual bullets.

So new bullet boxes might read:

Minimal velocity for expansion: 1600fps
Explodes in twists over 1:3” at velocity over 2750fps
Optimal blender: 1:6
Loses stability: 1:10

*Optimal impact of 2200fps in a 1:6 twist results in perfect performance.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by BWalker
Blood testing is about worthless for determining your bodies lead load. Lead leaves the blood stream relatively quickly. It hides out in the bones, brain and other tissues for decades.
Mono metal bullets do not work as well as lead and copper bullets as it pertains to killing quickly, but I use them and have been for a long team because I would rather not ingest lead. YMMV.
And FWIW modern lead and copper bullets have worked well in magnums for the 35 years I've been hunting and probably worked well for before that.

BWalker,

You have stated this before in other threads, but the latest research indicates that yes, blood-testing is very helpful, despite blood leaving the blood system within 30 days after exposure.

This has been determined by the development of an effective (and quick) way to measure lead-level in bones--and this shows a strong correlation with blood levels IF they're checked reasonably frequently.

Also, the studies I've mentioned in my articles have mentioned large samples between large populations of humans, especially the European study that compared hunters versus non-hunters. Game studies have also shown interesting results, especially from animals during hunting seasons.

But my main point is that no, blood-test for lead levels are not "about worthless for determining you bodies lead load," whether in humans or other animals. Which is why so many studies, both on humans and animals, depend at least partly on them.

Additionally, my data-base of animals taken with "copper" bullets is over 200 animals, dating back to around 1990. No, they don't kill as quickly as SOME lead-cores, but the results from the past dozen years don't show nearly as much difference as earlier bullets.

Around 150 of those animals were either taken by me or Eileen. We use far more "copper" bullets these days, mostly because they kill quickly enough, without ruining as much meat, on average, as lead-cores. Over the past five years we've taken around animals up through big elk with 'em, and none has gone over 50 yards before falling.
John, if you ingested lead today it would be out of your blood in 6 months or typically much less. It would be in your bones for decades. As such what does a blood test tell you other than you were recently exposed? You might read this.
https://labs.icahn.mssm.edu/toddlab/bone-lead-test/
FWIW they can also use a new type of Xray to analyze bone lead levels now where previously a bone biopsy was required.
Regardless I don't want to feed myself or my family any lead, period.

Last edited by BWalker; 01/15/23.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Secondly, here in the west it is quite likely a matter of time before lead core bullets will be prohibited. Although that may not be much of a factor for you in Georgia.

Only because we live in a state that rolled over in to blue. I doubt MT and WY is close. With so few Republicans in the legislature now and Polis up for another term, what firearms we may own is may soon overshadow what we can shoot in them.

Stop it SS.
Although I’m probably more unhappy than you about Colorado being invaded by lifestyle immigrants and their politics, the science behind lead toxicity, the levels of lead toxicity in raptors, and the effect of lead toxicity on raptors, is sound.
No different than the lead shot debate 35+ years ago. Deja Vu all over again…..

Maybe raptors and water fowl, but not humans. As far as I know birds grind their food in he gizzards. Not so with humans. Lead dust in your lungs will kill you. Not so much, lead particles ingested and passed thru the intestines. I have stacked tons of lead shot and bricks for radiation shielding and have eaten lead killed rabbits, squirrels, elk deer, antelope, drank water from lead pipes when young. Many cities still deliver water in lead pipes, (Colorado Springs being one of them), many homes still have soldered copper pipe in them. Asbestos is killing me, but not lead. Only have to do a simple search of hunters
using lead bullets to see there is no viable proof. Here is one such article. https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/f...ldlife-separating-science-from-advocacy. Another farce brought on by the anti's, about like gas stoves being dangerous now.
You don't seem to grasp the problem with ingesting lead. It's not acute lead toxicity. It's chronic issues such as cognitive decline. And ingesting lead particles does result in lead entering your blood stream. That's not even debatable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CRS;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend and the weather in the Black Hills behaved for you.

As a bit of a further back story, when we first started playing with that Swede carbine, I'd built it as a hunting rifle with fairly low recoil for my father who'd just had a pace maker installed. This was about '85 and I didn't have a chronograph then, so found out about some of the speeds later on when my good wife bought me one of the first red Shooting Chrony chronographs to hit the shelves in a store up in Kelowna.

Without looking into the notes and going off of memory, we managed to blow up 120gr Nosler Solid Base and Sierra Game Kings on local bucks. The Sierra didn't make it to the second lung on a broadside shot, just came completely unglued in the first 4".

We finally found that 140gr Partitions and Hornady Spires worked not too bad in it. I recall being surprised at the damage of one spike mulie Dad got with it and in my hunting diary noted "tissue damage similar to '06 180gr Hornady SP load".

All that to say that my strong hunch is there is a point where rpm will have a bullet not work.

Oh, should mention too that in a conversation with greydog on here who is a respected gunsmith, he mentioned that the Swede barrels had deep grooves and that seemed to tear apart cup and core bullets as well, but they typically did well with monometal bullets.

My original coyote bomber was a 26" .22-250AI with a 1:14" twist because that's what we did back then. I'd love to hear what you see with the 1:8" twist version if you're so inclined.

To your question if there'd be a noticeable difference, I think that there likely would, but it wouldn't be a huge one is my hunch.

Again I'd be interested to hear if the faster twist has you starting to find bullets and what you see in terms of tissue damage.

Lastly sir, I respect and very much echo your last sentence, "I do not know for certain"..

Me too sir, me too.

Best to you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Just picked up 3 boxes of 338cal TTSX Barnes at the gas station today
Hah! That's quite a gas station when you can pickup bullets!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used solid copper bullets. In rifles that have a high MV, they can work great, if your rifle likes them. There are lots of reasons not to use them, however. The most important reason is personal choice. If I don't want to use them, for any reason under the sun, that's good enough.

As for other states following the lead of liberal states that have outlawed lead, not likely in most states. The entire concept is nothing but an anti gun ploy to reduce the availability of affordable ammunition. Raptors are dying by the truckload in wind farms and the hippies are still ignoring that and crying about lead ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ranger1
I have used solid copper bullets. In rifles that have a high MV, they can work great, if your rifle likes them. There are lots of reasons not to use them, however. The most important reason is personal choice. If I don't want to use them, for any reason under the sun, that's good enough.

As for other states following the lead of liberal states that have outlawed lead, not likely in most states. The entire concept is nothing but an anti gun ploy to reduce the availability of affordable ammunition. Raptors are dying by the truckload in wind farms and the hippies are still ignoring that and crying about lead ammo.

It might not be up to states if it's done federally.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by beretzs
So do you think maybe we blame some of the older iterations of mono’s and continue holding the grudge on todays well made bullets. I don’t have near the amount of kills as some and I do think in deer monos aren’t needed but man the ones that have been shot seemed fine. There are a few that I think way further than the should’ve gone but they’re still dead at the end of the trail.

I think arguing about what another guy chooses is akin to the my 30-06 kills better than a 270…. The sheer numbers of animals and combos to prove a darned thing would take 100 of us hunting non stop to prove anything, even if that was enough not to mention the sheer crazy amount of combinations.

Dwayne’s post about RPMs seeming to help with them is music to my ears and kinda what I’ve thought to myself for awhile.

Just my thought though.

I’m looking forward to hearing how CRS’s 1-8 twisted 270 works for him with TTSXs. I’m kinda betting it’ll be a massive blender.

2 things. Your first sentence = nail, head. If you've followed MD for long he has covered how many bullets have changed over time ( most usefully I might add!)

The second thing is, where do I sign up to be on the "hunting non-stop" test board?!

I'd be all in on that for sure!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In thinking about the rpm theories…..I think that there may be great merit to this. I’ll go a bit farther and suggest that many people go to light, IMO too light, bullets when going to monos. The light bullets, once expanded will lose their rotation much faster than a heavier bullet…..thereby lessening/reducing the internal damage to the animal!

That’s my story….and I’m stick’n to it! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/16/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BC30cal,

I will certainly report back. Do not know if the extensive opportunities to test the 1:8 are as readily available.

Here is some background.

Twenty years ago or so when we started using the 22-250, deer populations were extremely high and antlerless tags were abundant along with youth tags. The 22 cal mono certainly did the job without excessive meat damage. There were quite a few years where double digit deer numbers were taken. The tag situation has changed with deer numbers down and my boys all grown up.

My motivation back then was much different, that was a time when everyone "KNEW" that 22 caliber rifles were too small for deer. cool I was out to prove a point so to speak.

Through all my years of hunting, I will always prefer a tougher bullet. Would choose over penetration, over bullet blow up every time. I like mono's, as can be seen by my extensive use of them.

I have only had one hunting experience with mono's that made me pause. It was with the original Barnes X in the 90's, 140gr in my 270. Horrible to find a suitable load. Took it elk hunting in Colorado and shot an elk running through the timber. Only saw a flinch at the shot, followed the tracks through the snow. Was starting to wonder if. No blood until after I saw her piled up. Felt like she went an awful long ways, but do not recall. Did it pencil through or not? Do not remember thinking it penciled, but was not impressed with animal reaction at the shot. But hindsight has me wondering. I was still pretty green as a hunter, my first mountain hunt, first elk hunt, etc.

I later tried the XLC bullets with bad results on paper. Had given up on monos until I ran into the guy from Superior Ammo at the local range. They had just started loading the TSX's and was duly impressed with them. He said I should give them one more try. I did, have not looked back.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had a Tikka 1-8 22-250 for a few years. From 40 grain Ballistic Tips to 75 AMax and ELDs and 77 TMKs shot excellent with almost no real issue getting accurate ammo.

The 77 TMK and 62 grain TTSX were rippers and kinda what I defaulted to. The 62 could probably punch elk legs. That bullet was like a drill bit and always showed good expansion on everything from woodchucks to deer.

Semper Fi
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not hesitate to use the 53gr TSX at 3800 fps on elk.

Would prefer a 338-06 though. grin

Arcus Venator
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just checked the mail. Badlands Bullet package showed up.
224 62gr Bulldozer and 277 150gr Super Bulldozer.

Pics in a bit.

Here you go[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by CRS; 01/16/23.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those look quite slick.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't read every post but have come around to the copper bullet. Like Brad I had a few 'less than desirable' experiences with 25 call, 100 gr TSX and 7mm/140. I still maintain the 25/100 did not open at all in 2 cases. The 7mm/140 prob expanded but the internal damage was very unimpressive although I did recover the deer.

As a result I swore them off - till the last few years. Once it seemed that plastic tips were added and it seemed they became more uniform in their expansion characteristics, I stuck my toe back in the copper bullet water.

I've now shot several deer and an elk with monos. I'm cautiously optimistic but have developed loads for all.my rifles with monos. The 308/150 etip is a definite winner. Driven to 2900, it shoot flat and retains enough velocity to be effective to 400 yards if the need arises.

One thing I think monos have done is make cartridges more effective. My 308 load for example. I have zero qualms using it for any bid game. I'd not purposely take it Arctos Horribilis hunting but if one showed up intent on being a jackass, I'd feel like I had a fair chance of changing his attitude without getting chewed on.

Same with the 338 fed/185 TTSX. I've not shot anything with it yet but at 2700 ft/sec it shoots flat enough to ~ 350 to be effective. In fact, I built the 338 fed in lieu of a 338-06. With all bullets except the 185 driven by the 338-06, the 338 fed/185 shoots flatter. Load the 338-06 with the 185 and it obviously starts faster and will shoot a bit flatter - but at a significant jump in recoil.

I'm about finished load development with my latest Kimber MT 270 win. A 130 LRX at 3100 shoots very flat out to reasonable ranges. I don't see the need for a 6.5 PRC given the velocity and accuracy that my 270 is capable of. And I can buy shells in walmarks if needed.

All told, I think the newer, and/or improved versions of existing, monos have changed the game. In my mind similar to 1948 with the advent of the greatest hunting bullet - Nosler Partition.

Can't say as I'm keen on mandating their use but the science is compelling. Now if Barnes would release their 30 cal/150 TTSX used in their 308 ammo as a reloading component........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
I didn't read every post but have come around to the copper bullet. Like Brad I had a few 'less than desirable' experiences with 25 call, 100 gr TSX and 7mm/140. I still maintain the 25/100 did not open at all in 2 cases. The 7mm/140 prob expanded but the internal damage was very unimpressive although I did recover the deer.

As a result I swore them off - till the last few years. Once it seemed that plastic tips were added and it seemed they became more uniform in their expansion characteristics, I stuck my toe back in the copper bullet water.

I've now shot several deer and an elk with monos. I'm cautiously optimistic but have developed loads for all.my rifles with monos. The 308/150 etip is a definite winner. Driven to 2900, it shoot flat and retains enough velocity to be effective to 400 yards if the need arises.

One thing I think monos have done is make cartridges more effective. My 308 load for example. I have zero qualms using it for any bid game. I'd not purposely take it Arctos Horribilis hunting but if one showed up intent on being a jackass, I'd feel like I had a fair chance of changing his attitude without getting chewed on.

Same with the 338 fed/185 TTSX. I've not shot anything with it yet but at 2700 ft/sec it shoots flat enough to ~ 350 to be effective. In fact, I built the 338 fed in lieu of a 338-06. With all bullets except the 185 driven by the 338-06, the 338 fed/185 shoots flatter. Load the 338-06 with the 185 and it obviously starts faster and will shoot a bit flatter - but at a significant jump in recoil.

I'm about finished load development with my latest Kimber MT 270 win. A 130 LRX at 3100 shoots very flat out to reasonable ranges. I don't see the need for a 6.5 PRC given the velocity and accuracy that my 270 is capable of. And I can buy shells in walmarks if needed.

All told, I think the newer, and/or improved versions of existing, monos have changed the game. In my mind similar to 1948 with the advent of the greatest hunting bullet - Nosler Partition.

Can't say as I'm keen on mandating their use but the science is compelling. Now if Barnes would release their 30 cal/150 TTSX used in their 308 ammo as a reloading component........

Bill, have you done any work with the 168ttsx in the .308? Since it's supposed to open at a lower velocity, I thought it may be better than the 150's. ???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not. The best I can get from a 165 C&C in a 308 is 2700, they start to drop off pretty good at 300. I'd guess a copper mono might not make 2700 in a 22" 308, but I'm guessing......

I wouldn't be affeared with a 150 TTSX or etip.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
With a 308 and 150g TTSX, I’ve killed one elk at 120yds broadside, another at 50yds quartering away, and a pronghorn at 300yds.

In all three cases the bullet left a good exit hole and none of the critters traveled more than 30 yds.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
I wouldn't be affeared with a 150 TTSX or etip.

But what if you have many hundred 168's and zero 150's? laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Is there any reason not to use copper bullets for hunting?

Nope. Hammers is my preference. LRX or TTSX is next.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 31 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.