Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As any freedom loving American would guess, ANY AR with a wrist brace will be considered a SBR requiring owner registration.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/01/atf-unveils-pistol-brace-rule-everything-is-an-sbr/#axzz7qN9XhmY1

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
the ATF can't wave a tax but they can make law ...... šŸ§šŸ§šŸ§

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As before blame Chevron decision and SCOTUS

Chevron U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., 467 U.S. 837, was a landmark case in which the United States Supreme Court established a legal test to determine whether to defer to a government agencyā€™s interpretation of a law created by Congress in which the agency ā€œfills in the blanksā€ (administers) without limitations.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
From the linked article, ATF can't waive it, isn't collecting it, but it's still owed. Enter 87,000 IRS agents and ready-made list of who didn't pay it. Hmmmm....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IF we assume, and thatā€™s one big honkinā€™ IF, that thereā€™s any logical reason to restrict pistols with shoulder stocks or SBRs in the first place, then the position the ATF is taking on them makes sense in that context. The claims by users and the industry that the braces exist to enable the disabled, and my particular favorite, disabled veterans, to shoot handguns, is silly on its face, as anyone whoā€™s spent any time on YouTube can attest. Iā€™ve watched dozens, maybe hundreds of videos where people are shooting pistols with braces, and Iā€™ve yet to see anyone that looks disabled in any of them, and few if any where they shoot them any way except from the shoulder. Same goes for what Iā€™ve seen at the range. In ā€œcommon useā€, theyā€™re SBRs (with short stocks), despite the claims to the contrary.

Equally silly however, is that weā€™re still saddled with a nearly 90 year-old law written during the gangland era to address stuff being used by criminals like Clyde Barrow (chopped BAR), and guns that are long out of production and now almost priceless relics like Lugers and Broomhandle Mausers, plus sawed-off shotguns. That law deprives us of the use of some very utilitarian firearms, while as usual not affecting criminals one whit. Somehow too, weā€™re now permitted what looks suspiciously like sawed-off shotguns, as long as we call them ā€œpistolsā€, kinda-sorta. Wonder how long before they take a swing at those.

The real problem is that the Congress has abandoned its responsibility to write clear, sensible legislation and also to defend its proper position as a co-equal branch of the government. I have a sneaking suspicion that the ATF may win this round unless the courts find that they allowed the braces to come into ā€œcommon useā€ with their earlier back-door lawmaking. That would cause some heads to explode in D.C.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

ATF makes the gun laws.

False: Congress makes federal gun laws; ATF enforces them.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
IF we assume, and thatā€™s one big honkinā€™ IF, that thereā€™s any logical reason to restrict pistols with shoulder stocks or SBRs in the first place, then the position the ATF is taking on them makes sense in that context. The claims by users and the industry that the braces exist to enable the disabled, and my particular favorite, disabled veterans, to shoot handguns, is silly on its face, as anyone whoā€™s spent any time on YouTube can attest. Iā€™ve watched dozens, maybe hundreds of videos where people are shooting pistols with braces, and Iā€™ve yet to see anyone that looks disabled in any of them, and few if any where they shoot them any way except from the shoulder. Same goes for what Iā€™ve seen at the range. In ā€œcommon useā€, theyā€™re SBRs (with short stocks), despite the claims to the contrary.

Equally silly however, is that weā€™re still saddled with a nearly 90 year-old law written during the gangland era to address stuff being used by criminals like Clyde Barrow (chopped BAR), and guns that are long out of production and now almost priceless relics like Lugers and Broomhandle Mausers, plus sawed-off shotguns. That law deprives us of the use of some very utilitarian firearms, while as usual not affecting criminals one whit. Somehow too, weā€™re now permitted what looks suspiciously like sawed-off shotguns, as long as we call them ā€œpistolsā€, kinda-sorta. Wonder how long before they take a swing at those.

The real problem is that the Congress has abandoned its responsibility to write clear, sensible legislation and also to defend its proper position as a co-equal branch of the government. I have a sneaking suspicion that the ATF may win this round unless the courts find that they allowed the braces to come into ā€œcommon useā€ with their earlier back-door lawmaking. That would cause some heads to explode in D.C.

The most important thing you said is "in common use". In Caetano, SCOTUS ruled the 200,000 stun guns in circulation constituted "common use". Estimates range between 10 and 40 million braces in use, that's "common use". Additionally, the ATF is now equating braced pistols with SBR's, which is a tacit admission SBR's are "in common use". Per Bruin, once something's "in common use" it can't be "dangerous AND unusual". That which is in common use can't at the same time be "unusual". Therefore SBR's are protected arms and it now becomes the burden of the state to prove there were equivalent laws in 1791 that would justify the regulation of SBR's.

Spoiler alert: 1934 is not 1791.

I think the AFT may have stepped in it Bigly. I suspect there are judges in the Northern district of Texas and the 5th Circuit that would agree with me.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/14/23.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

ATF makes the gun laws.

False: Congress makes federal gun laws; ATF enforces them.

Tell that to the ATF.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
From the linked article, ATF can't waive it, isn't collecting it, but it's still owed. Enter 87,000 IRS agents and ready-made list of who didn't pay it. Hmmmm....
yes following tax law , but breaking law by making laws .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regrettably, when someone in the Executive Branch steps in it, bigly or just a little bit, thereā€™s generally no consequence to speak of, by design. They just nod their pointy heads and start working on the next overreach.

You can say one thing for them; they ainā€™t quitters!šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm torn on what I want to do. I'm in the middle of building a AR pistol. Have both the brace and standard spring tube. If I'm gonna go sbr, then it's getting a standard stock. Otherside of me says the govt doesn't need to know what I have and to keep it a pistol.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
They must have tough stomachs eh.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I'm torn on what I want to do. I'm in the middle of building a AR pistol. Have both the brace and standard spring tube. If I'm gonna go sbr, then it's getting a standard stock. Otherside of me says the govt doesn't need to know what I have and to keep it a pistol.

Lawsuits will start flying this week. I'd be patent, see how things shake out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

As far as I can tell, the only thing you need to think about now is making sure receiver(s) is(are) in your Gun Trust, if you have one, before this publishes. Further, if you intend to use the special braced pistol to SBA Form 1, you'll want to make sure the pistol was either registered with the MSP or that you're exempt. This could be due to Opinion 7403 or otherwise.

https://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2010s/op10383.htm

There are hassles with an SBR that you avoid with a pistol. One of them, the engraving requirement, is being waived. How this makes any sense, who knows.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Lawsuits will start flying this week. I'd be patent, see how things shake out.

This.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I plan to sit back and wait.
My question is how do they know if you have one or not? The brace does not have a serial number so how do they know who has one and who does not? Granted you take it to a public range and ATF is there, they will know, or someone turns you in, but other than that....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you buy it in person for cash?
Not using any membership deal or other ID?
Not in conjunction with a gun or registered frame?

Yes and you are likely good.

No?
They can find you.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Where is that ATF chart at showing your options ? How do they know you did not remove the brace or put a longer barrel on it?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Here's an update on why this is a trap.

Short version is the ATF processed their own background checks. If a check stays open for 88 days it's an automatic denial, and per the ATF Deputy Director, will results in "Enforcement action" for posession of an unregistered SBR, up to 10 years in camp fed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm going to wait and see as well. I have a .300 BLK pistol with a fixed position brace that takes tools to remove or adjust. I will convert to a rifle, before I SBR it. I don't want to have to ask the govt permission yearly to be able to take it to the OK deer lease.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (163bc, 44mc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.