Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a Model 60 and a CZ 452 that really like Dynapoints, but like a lot of things these days, they are in short supply. I went searching through my rimfire stuff and discovered a hidden cache of rimfire goodies!

Most of this stuff was purchased at least ten years ago. Some even farther back. In these boxes I found 2 boxes of the bulk Dynapoints. One was unopened. The other was about half full. The paper wrapped ammunition in the second photo is surplus 7.62x54r. I don't remember putting it there.

Are Dynapoints readily available in the US? I see they are still listed by Winchester

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clearly, you’re not shooting enough. Get busy.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I haven't seen Dynapoints for a long time. One thing I noticed about them was they shot really well, but POI was always shifted quite a bit horizontally vs. other ammo. That was with 22WMR and 22lr ammo.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Clearly, you’re not shooting enough. Get busy.

I will have to make more of an effort. 🙃

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I haven't seen Dynapoints for a long time. One thing I noticed about them was they shot really well, but POI was always shifted quite a bit horizontally vs. other ammo. That was with 22WMR and 22lr ammo.

None of my regular haunts has any. I will have to burn off all the less accurate stuff with my Model 60. Probably take one of my grandkids out for a fun shoot.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been about since the time Obama was elected the last time I saw any Dynapoints. After that, just been the 333, 555 and SuperX stuff.

I found it to be the most consistent bulk ammo in my rifles. Now I’m shooting CCI SV for consistent “cheap” ammo.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I haven't seen Dynapoints since the early 2000s. It was great stuff that was cheap and shot really well for what it was.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Bought a case around 1990.Good stuff.Was made I think in Australia. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Dynapoints shot well for me many years ago. Haven't looked around for a long time since I became a SK and CCI SV fan.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That CCI SGB was a great round. Haven’t seen that in awhile.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jackmountain
That CCI SGB was a great round. Haven’t seen that in awhile.

I didn’t see them listed at the CCI website.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Steve, I see some LeBaron price stickers on some of those boxes. I really miss them, they were a great place to shop. I visited their Ottawa location many times.

Nick

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

I wish we could take advantage of that. I'm in Canada.

Originally Posted by Nick1899
Steve, I see some LeBaron price stickers on some of those boxes. I really miss them, they were a great place to shop. I visited their Ottawa location many times.

Nick

Hi Nick. When I was still in the service, I was on course in Borden and drove to LeBaron's in Toronto. That's where I bought some of what is in those boxes. I don't know if you can read the sticker, but I paid $2.06 for a box of 50 Win PP. I did a quick look around. They are sold in 100 packs now and the prices range from $15 to $19. shocked

Nothing stays cheap, but the price per round for them went from 4 cents a round to 15-19 cents. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Perhaps the Dynapoints were rebranded as the Wildcat... same projectile but don't know about the finer differences.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Esteban325
Perhaps the Dynapoints were rebranded as the Wildcat... same projectile but don't know about the finer differences.

It would be interesting if there was a site - rimfirecentral maybe - where someone might know the history. I read somewhere that Wildcats appeared in 1971.
---

More cleaning of my workshop turned up these. The first is an older can of SK Magazine 22. I cannot remember when I bought these. They are an economy round that is still in production.

The other find was three boxes of Imperial 22LR. Two are unopened and in their original packaging. Imperial was Canadian made, but they went out of business in the mid 1980s.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The SK magazine are re-labeled these,which I bought in year 2000. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for that. Lapua doesn't list it anymore. I wonder if SK Magazine 22 is now what is called Standard Plus?

I have five boxes of older SK Std Plus here. This is the old box beside the new one. I was looking at the prices of Standard Plus and Magazine. They aren't too far apart. Magazine is cheaper by $6/500. It might be the packaging. The specs are identical.

Edited to add: I was thinking that Magazine might be Std Plus that didn't make the grade, but was good enough to release for sale.

https://sk-ammunition.com/rimfire/ballistic-data/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
This is SK before SK was born. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, I remember being confused about the changes. At the time, didn’t Lapua buy SK, or maybe it was the other way around?

Lapua renamed or stopped production on a few cartridges. Midas L and M disappeared or were renamed or something. Seems to me there was a big stir over all that. Super Club became Std Plus, etc.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Went from Master & Midas to Center X & Exact. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Thanks for that. Lapua doesn't list it anymore. I wonder if SK Magazine 22 is now what is called Standard Plus?

I have five boxes of older SK Std Plus here. This is the old box beside the new one. I was looking at the prices of Standard Plus and Magazine. They aren't too far apart. Magazine is cheaper by $6/500. It might be the packaging. The specs are identical.

Edited to add: I was thinking that Magazine might be Std Plus that didn't make the grade, but was good enough to release for sale.

To be honest, I've had better luck (less fliers) with the older SK standard plus. The one on the bottom in your pic..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was never a serious rimfire competitor. I bought the rifle for hunting, but found that my Model 60 was handier, so I relegated the 452 to range and postal matches. I took a 4 power scope off and put an 8-32 Mueller on.

When I was still in the service, the rimfire benchrest guys told me that if I wanted to compete beyond the club level, that I would have to upgrade. The trouble was, I did not have the funds or the time to do that. Between service commitments, family, and shooting centrefire matches, I had no spare time.

About 15 years ago, I put a Brooks Trigger kit in and shot for fun. I like the relaxed atmosphere compared to the other shoots. And it is fun to work with kids. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think I'm the only one that did not like Dynapoints. In every gun I've used, 22LR and 22 WMR, they were consistently the worst grouping ammo I could buy. My brother in law didn't mind as he got a few bricks for free. His BL-22 and 9422M love the stuff. Go figure.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Another dynapoint variant. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The new Wildcat Dynapoints can’t hold a candle to the 1990’s-early 2000’s Australia made bulk Dynapoints accuracy wise. Heck none of Winchester’s current offerings can hang. At least all their loads I could get ahold of last year. I didn’t try the Silvertips but all the others. The T22 were,in particular, garbage. When I was a kid they were very accurate and one of my favorite squirrel loads.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Last of the good T-22's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Of the US made 22 rimfire ammunition, I guess CCI is the leader. Not trying to start a war or pick sides, just figure out the North American producers.

The problem with most US made 22 rimfire ammunition seems to be a lack of consistency. I wonder how committed Winchester, Remington and Federal are WRT R&D and higher standards over the long term. To get the consistency, one has to turn to Eley or SK for example. They seem to have better QC than Rem, Win or Fed.

My hunting experience with 22 rimfires led me to ditch the HV stuff and use subsonic ammunition. This was after Canadian producer IVI went out of business. I only used 40 grain loads. Grouse, bunnies and squirrels don't seem to need the extra 100 - 125 fps or hollow points. It simplified things for me. I am sure that others would want or need these things however. We live in different places and some of us hunt different critters.

Either way, it's nice to have choices.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Bought a case around 1990.Good stuff.Was made I think in Australia. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have a bunch of the Winchester Wildcats I bought back in the early 90’s. Very consistent firing and accurate enough that I use it to shoot at a 50 ft indoor range. I don’t remember ever having a ftf.

Pretty sure we were paying $10 a brick in those days. Wish I’d bought a truckload…

CCI Minimag and Standard, meh.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The early Dynapoints that my 541-S liked were unplated. The plated ones do ok but won’t match the earlier version, at least in my favorite squirrel rifle.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Walmart sold dynapoints for a while. They had closeouts a few years back

Hammer down!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

I don't think sk magazine is sk plus. Sk mag sucks in everything I've tried it.in. doesn't even live up to plinking standards for me

Hammer down!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.