Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
2nd on the Mescalero hunt in NM.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Don’t rule out west Texas. Some good bulls are coming off of large low fence ranches.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
2nd on the Mescalero hunt in NM.

Never been on the reservation, but have hunted in the area - it's a neat country to be around.

He went over yonder way
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
White Mountain Apache Reservation or the Mescalero Apache Reservation.

I know those are not outfitters or have landowners' tags, but that is what I would choose.

+1

RS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be very, very, very, very careful about buying landowner vouchers, and make sure you understand the rules about how they can be transferred legally.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Has anyone personally hunted one of the Reservations?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not done the elk hunt but drew tags in unit 36 that borders the Rez on the North. Terrific horseback/tent guides hunts. Tons of elk and great chance for 330+ size elk. The Rez hunts out is Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort is typically booked with returning hunters several years in advance. Did a black bear hunt from the Inn on the reservation several years back and blessed with a super black bear.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’ve guided on Acoma. I interned on the Jic and the biologist on there is a really good friend of mine. I’ve hunted around Mescalero and had a friend that guided on there, but unfortunately passed away last year. I don’t know much about the Navajo, the Zuni or Laguna Pueblo.
The three Rez hunts I know are very different. Acoma is a very nice tent camp with a shower/toilet trailer. You have to arrange your own lodging on the Jicarilla, usually the best western in Dulce. Part of the hunt cost on Mescalero is a room in the Inn of the Mountain Gods. Bringing your spouse and Playing golf during the day is one of the draws on Mescalero.
I’ll try to give a run down on each.
Jicarilla- Bull tags are first come first serve. May go to a draw. You have to book your own guide separately. Hunting for 330 type bulls unless you’re behind the fence. Bull tags run from$7k-$10kdepending on weapon and season. Lots of elk and the chance to see world famous muledeer which is what the JIC is famous for. Late season might be the best value but not typical rut hunt. Country is a mix of Ponderosa down to P-J and sagebrush.
Acoma-very limited tags that are usually spoken for from year to year. Chance at a 400+ bull is always there. Guides are supposed to only kill bulls above 350”. Tags are $13k-$18.5K depending on weapon and season. Guides are assigned. Guides are
Not always tribal members. Late season might be the only way to get your foot in the door but can produce a great bull but won’t be the typical bugle hunt every one is after. Country is desert mesas with lots of P-J and some ponderosa on top.
Mescalero- although there are big bulls running around the average is probably in the 330s from year to year. I believe that had more to do with the clientele rather than quality. Bull hunts are $14k. Guides are assigned. Only rifle rut hunts. No late season. Mostly Ponderosa getting into P-J on the east side.
Something else to think about, when you hunt on a Rez you have to deal with Indians. I do not mean that derogatory but it is a reality. I have great friends that are native and they would agree. It can be tough. Acoma being the exception, as I mentioned they hire white eyes.
You’ve got some great suggestions. $20k is a great place to be for a good hunt. There are lots of options in that price range. Availability is the question. Id also suggest calling the guys at the Draw, Epic or Huntin fool and get on their hunt lists.
FWIW Tx is a sleeper and if I could go anywhere to hunt big bulls without drawing it would be the Tejon Ranch, the Hualapai, or San Carlos. And although I love unit 12 in NM I would be leery of BMO. Good luck!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks so much Pistolero. Great information!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you ever run into Jim Bobb or know his whereabouts of if his son is guiding around Nogal in unit 36? I was fortunate to hunt with him twice on drawn tags and he, his wife and son were great to be with.

Last edited by muygrande1; 01/23/23.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We took an enormous bull on land adjacent to the Jicarilla Indian Reservation in NM. Vermejo Park is another location known to produce bulls the size that you're seeking.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bears Paw mtns Montana... Area 690

Hang on tight !
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
We took an enormous bull on land adjacent to the Jicarilla Indian Reservation in NM. Vermejo Park is another location known to produce bulls the size that you're seeking.

Years ago I use to hunt that little piece of Carson NF on the west side of the Jicarilla. Back then Deer permit was $20, 2nd deer $5.There were not many elk that strayed off the res then.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by muygrande1
Did you ever run into Jim Bobb or know his whereabouts of if his son is guiding around Nogal in unit 36? I was fortunate to hunt with him twice on drawn tags and he, his wife and son were great to be with.

No sir I dont know the family personally. I believe they are still operating here though.

Jared
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info. Looked for him on the NMGF SITE for registered guides and did not find him. Been unable to find contact info for him.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’ll ask some buddies and try to get a contact number.

Jared
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I want to see a 300+ elk I look out my door. If I want to shoot one I go about a 5-10 mile radius from home.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Your a lucky man. Great view! Need a hunting partner??? Lol...kinda.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Brother will be hunting out of Paradise Valley, MT with some outfitter. He says it's either 330+ or bust for him.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.