-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Keep your gun and rifle clean and not gummed up.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AGL4now
You need a penny or a dime. And you need to know how to do it. The "HUGE" danger is if the penny gets bumped out, which is very-very easy to have happen, it is a "HUGE" problem in the bush, even "if" you find the penny. It is near impossible other than in a "shop" environment.

You do need to know how to do it, but otherwise, there's not much accurate in that post.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Keep your gun and rifle clean and not gummed up.

Correct! A good clean trigger assembly and firing pin/spring, pin channel will eliminate most if not all problems….except perhaps getting the components wet and then freezing.

I can’t comment about all of the previously listed lubricants and their freeze points/high viscosity temp ratings……but, I do know that WD 40 gets “gummy” over time! But, this brings us back to a clean, maintained firearm! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/25/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My one frozen bolt episode was with a Montana, and happened right after we had killed a black bear, chased off a brown bear, and then cut up the black bear and put it in packs. Right at dark, we picked up rifles to discover that my bolt couldn't be moved. Luckily, the other guy (Sitka Deer's kid) had a single shot rifle that was operable. smile

I had (lightly) lubed the FP threads with eezox, which I blamed for the issue. Who knows if that was accurate or not, but I have been leery of it since, and don't use it on anything internal to the rifle anymore. That was also right about the time that I decided that a pistol doesn't really weigh that much.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
My one frozen bolt episode was with a Montana, and happened right after we had killed a black bear, chased off a brown bear, and then cut up the black bear and put it in packs. Right at dark, we picked up rifles to discover that my bolt couldn't be moved. Luckily, the other guy (Sitka Deer's kid) had a single shot rifle that was operable. smile

I had (lightly) lubed the FP threads with eezox, which I blamed for the issue. Who knows if that was accurate or not, but I have been leery of it since, and don't use it on anything internal to the rifle anymore. That was also right about the time that I decided that a pistol doesn't really weigh that much.

Not the first time a Mauser came to the aid of a Kimber...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need a penny or a dime. And you need to know how to do it. The "HUGE" danger is if the penny gets bumped out, which is very-very easy to have happen, it is a "HUGE" problem in the bush, even "if" you find the penny. It is near impossible other than in a "shop" environment.

You do need to know how to do it, but otherwise, there's not much accurate in that post.

Glad I did not have that information so many years ago...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
All this discussion and I buy a Remington 788 in 243 win with a weaver scope. Figured I would be like Heimo. There are even hats that say that.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Spoken like a "City-boy" who never had to do it in a small tent on a client's firearm. I doubt you have ever done it, even in a shop environment.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Spoken like someone who never had to do it in a small tent on a client's firearm, by a "CITYBOY".
I can assure you CWH knows how to strip a 700 bolt without issues. He probably does not even need the typical shoelace...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've never had to strip a bolt in the field period. I did just strip one here at my desk though, just to make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills.... maybe I should do a video for you?

I used about 6" of string, no currency whatsoever. Trying to slip a coin in the slot would likely require more coordination than I posses. So just... don't. Further, if you do, and the coin slips out, what "huge" problem do you have besides being out as much as $.10?

I am a city boy though, you got me there.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've never had to strip a bolt in the field period. I did just strip one here at my desk though, just to make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills.... maybe I should do a video for you?

I used about 6" of string, no currency whatsoever. Trying to slip a coin in the slot would likely require more coordination than I posses. So just... don't. Further, if you do, and the coin slips out, what "huge" problem do you have besides being out as much as $.10?

Fair reply. I had never heard of using cord/string, I admit that would be a safe and more prudent method. Thanks. I now only have one Remington M-700 from the old Remington factory. A model #85197 (it is for sale)

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Pard.... You don't want to sell it. You always have to have a couple of decoy guns that can get stolen so you can hide the good ones...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Interesting and informative thread.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Plus- You need to bring it along if you every make a trip up to Fairbanks to show it to "Remington" Bob Bowman. He hates them. He gets so mad that he boils over. He is 85 years old and Winchesters are the only rifles made. He was a grizzly guide sometimes in the past. I believe that the blood and juices that get going over his agony of seeing Remington 700s is about the only thing keeping him alive.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Pard.... You don't want to sell it. You always have to have a couple of decoy guns that can get stolen so you can hide the good ones...

They better not approach from a long distance. wink

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You probably have some 330 connibears in some empty christmas boxes set and packaged and attached to some 35ft of poly cord and to a concrete cinderblocks. They get their arms broke and then run like hell and get a second jolt. Thats how you old duffers do it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kaboku68
You probably have some 330 connibears in some empty christmas boxes set and packaged and attached to some 35ft of poly cord and to a concrete cinderblocks. They get their arms broke and then run like hell and get a second jolt. Thats how you old duffers do it.

Old men will do whatever they hope will work.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Fair reply. I had never heard of using cord/string, I admit that would be a safe and more prudent method. Thanks. I now only have one Remington M-700 from the old Remington factory. A model #85197 (it is for sale)

Dont go getting all reasonable on me. smile

-cityboy

O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
An aside pertaining to lube.

I was gifted a colt 1917 by my team when I retired. The action was very stiff. After some research I found that for most Soldiers and Marines in WWII the only readily available lube was WD40. Over time it forms into a sort of "tacky lacquer". Disassembled the whole thing and scrubbed all that stuff off. It was like giving it an action job. Unbelievably smooth. Barrel of monkeys to shoot too!

Dry internals are a good idea but any leftover lube can turn into a mess. No matter what you use, CLEAN IT THOUROULY.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As WD40 was only introduced in 1953 it seems hard to imagine the average WWII Marine was a time traveler...

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.