Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm short on time and won't be doing a lot of test loads. I'm going to load 62gr. Bear Claws for a 16 inch Ranch rifle and will give it a test drive on deer and pigs in Mississippi.

Anyone have a favorite load for this weight or bullet. It will be helpful to to keep in mind that the powders I have to use for this project are; H335, TAC, CFE223 and X-treme. My shots will be less than 150 yards, so varmint accuracy is not required.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use 26 grains of CFE 223 with 62 Bear claws or 24 gr of Varget. Both shot really well. The Bear claw will kill deer and pigs easy. I have a Ranch Rifle also. I load to factory length. I used Nosler partition data, bullets look the same.

Last edited by hanco; 01/15/23.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good info. Thanks hanco.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
First, thanks to Hanco for sharing his experience and information.

I got to the range for a quick function and load test. It would have been nice to chronograph them, but I was dealing with sleet and rain. This is a brand new gun and I was able to put forty rounds through it.

Hanco's load and the next fastest load in the Speer manual using Ramshot X-Terminator was tried. Federal 62gr. Fusion was used as a control.

Given today's limited test, I'm going to use the X-Terminator load for this trip. Further testing will be done in the future when I have more time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, I have yet to find good accuracy with CFE 223. Gave up and will use up the remaining on plinking loads. X-Terminator is my go to for bullets 55 gr. and under, over that I switch to TAC, H4895, or Varget.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm not satisfied with either powder/load. I needed to find a usable load to hunt with in Mississippi. I am not disappointed that CFE223 didn't shoot as well in this instance. It's my powder of choice for 35 Whelen with 225gr. bullets. Not using it for this .223 saves it for the Whelen.

I'm not even disappointed with these results given this was two totally random loads thrown together for a brand new rifle. In the coming months I've got several .223/5.56 rifles that I'm going to have to work up loads for with these TBBC bullets and a brand new Tikka that I'm going to work up 77gr. TMK loads.

I'll have CFE223, X-Terminator, H335, Tac, PP2000, LVR and as a last resort, Varget to work with.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by aboltfan
First, thanks to Hanco for sharing his experience and information.

I got to the range for a quick function and load test. It would have been nice to chronograph them, but I was dealing with sleet and rain. This is a brand new gun and I was able to put forty rounds through it.

Hanco's load and the next fastest load in the Speer manual using Ramshot X-Terminator was tried. Federal 62gr. Fusion was used as a control.

Given today's limited test, I'm going to use the X-Terminator load for this trip. Further testing will be done in the future when I have more time.

Wasn’t very good, hopefully you will find a good combination. Varget did well, switched to CFE 223, because I had a bunch

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Here's a picture of the first game taken with this load. A 95 lb. doe @ 125 yards. Through the left shoulder and exited the right ribcage.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That wound looks terminal.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

It does

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

It does

It was...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It is

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Dropped where it stood. Looked like iit bled out where it laid.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That wound is typical of what we were seeing with a 60 grain Partition from my 22-250.

Very deadly on the deer we killed with it.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
That wound is typical of what we were seeing with a 60 grain Partition from my 22-250.

A partition should be just as good as a Bear claw, wish they made a 70gr Partition

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco

A partition should be just as good as a Bear claw, wish they made a 70gr Partition
10 grains won't make much difference if any.

No issues punching through high shoulders on 200# deer.

I always wished they had made a 50 or 55. Something that would shoot through 14 twist .22 calibers. Even a 12 is on the edge for a 60 grain Partition.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/05/23.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by aboltfan
I'm not satisfied with either powder/load. I needed to find a usable load to hunt with in Mississippi. I am not disappointed that CFE223 didn't shoot as well in this instance. It's my powder of choice for 35 Whelen with 225gr. bullets. Not using it for this .223 saves it for the Whelen.

I'm not even disappointed with these results given this was two totally random loads thrown together for a brand new rifle. In the coming months I've got several .223/5.56 rifles that I'm going to have to work up loads for with these TBBC bullets and a brand new Tikka that I'm going to work up 77gr. TMK loads.

I'll have CFE223, X-Terminator, H335, Tac, PP2000, LVR and as a last resort, Varget to work with.
Varget works extremely well in all my .223's using 55 - 75gr bullets. I was kinda saving what Varget I had because it works so good in .308 but now it seems to be readily available.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Family member in WVa use to have several bigger caliber guns, that he used for hunting... he use to take 15 to 20 deer a year on his property, by getting a $2.00 Orchard Permit from the county. His boys grew up on venison and ham, all wild game. beef tastes funny to them to this day.

His wife's family all moved from WVa to Florida, but use to come up to hunt each season on Ben's Property.

One time they were short some rifles, for their kids who were getting hunting ages, and figured they would just use some of Ben's guns.
They ended up borrowing them ALL... except a 22.250 that Ben ended up with, from a guy who owned him some money and just couldn't pay it, so he offered Ben the rifle...which he took " to get something out of the work he'd done"...

So Ben carried that rifle that one season... shot a deer at 200 to 250 yds with it.... Bang Flop....to say the least, he was impressed...

after that season, he never hunted with anything else but that 22.250.. for 30 plus years... Ben's now 72 and has hung up his hunting and shooting days...he has passed on his rifles to other family members, particularly to kids...but he has kept that 22.250, told me this summer when I was back there... one shot from that gun on a deer and I decided I never needed anything else...and he never used anything else..

he's got it gifted to one of his grandsons when he passes... but told me he was going to keep it UNTIL he passes...

its taken 15 to 20 deer a year for over 30 years...and probably an equal number of wild hogs... Ben certainly got his money worth out of that Remington 700....its always been with Factory Ammo, 55 grain SP...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire

Family member in WVa use to have several bigger caliber guns, that he used for hunting... he use to take 15 to 20 deer a year on his property, by getting a $2.00 Orchard Permit from the county. His boys grew up on venison and ham, all wild game. beef tastes funny to them to this day.

His wife's family all moved from WVa to Florida, but use to come up to hunt each season on Ben's Property.

One time they were short some rifles, for their kids who were getting hunting ages, and figured they would just use some of Ben's guns.
They ended up borrowing them ALL... except a 22.250 that Ben ended up with, from a guy who owned him some money and just couldn't pay it, so he offered Ben the rifle...which he took " to get something out of the work he'd done"...

So Ben carried that rifle that one season... shot a deer at 200 to 250 yds with it.... Bang Flop....to say the least, he was impressed...

after that season, he never hunted with anything else but that 22.250.. for 30 plus years... Ben's now 72 and has hung up his hunting and shooting days...he has passed on his rifles to other family members, particularly to kids...but he has kept that 22.250, told me this summer when I was back there... one shot from that gun on a deer and I decided I never needed anything else...and he never used anything else..

he's got it gifted to one of his grandsons when he passes... but told me he was going to keep it UNTIL he passes...

its taken 15 to 20 deer a year for over 30 years...and probably an equal number of wild hogs... Ben certainly got his money worth out of that Remington 700....its always been with Factory Ammo, 55 grain SP...
A 55 in a '250 or Swift is a for sure fast killer on deer.

Some of the fastest DRT behind the shoulder lung shots I have seen on our Midwest whitetails have been with these 2 hot .22 calibers.

More specifically a 55 Gameking, others work too but will draw a little to much criticism from some here.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The grandson didn't get a shot, but my brother was more than happy to test the bullets. He's taken quite a few with his American using the TBBC, Fusions and handloads with Hornady 55 SPs. I've always been skeptical of using the .22 calibers.

I've got a new Tikka .223 to work up loads for with these TBBCs and 77gr. TMKs. I'll try to put it to use next year. I did like these bullets enough to order another 1,000.

I'm going to try these in my A-bolt .223, but it has a 1/12 barrel so it probably won't do well. Not the end of the world, I have a ton of Hornady 55s that it shoots well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,620
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.