-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will be 71 Sunday. Dragged two out this past season, one an easy half-mile downhill, the other a tougher 3/4 or more with lots of ups and downs. Used a cart for that, but the benefit over a simple roll-up sled is questionable at best. Snow is best, but don’ see that in season here much.

I wear a Zoleo tracker, my leash is what wifey calls it, so they know where to find the body.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We need to start a 70 and up club

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll be 66. Still hunt alone. leaving day after tomorrow on a 4 day solo hunt. Last one of the season for me.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No steep country or deep canyons here but lots of heavy brush,I don't drag anything, I pull up close with my Jeep drag my cable to the critter and wench them in , then hook my back winch to them and load them on the back, I'm 83 and still hunt alone, but can call for help if I need it. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doctor said it’s highly unlikely I’ll die from a heart attack, but I still need to be careful to avoid strains and falls and such. Put the doe in my pickup alone, and had help with the buck, thankfully.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by hanco
We need to start a 70 and up club
No we don't...the level of Boomer Hate here is epic. They know we go to bed at eight, and if they get our personal data, they will hunt us down at night, and perform murder most foul. And the really weak ones, like me, that cannot make pictures go from A to B, are low hanging fruit, and will be the first to die.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All good stuff here. I'm a bit younger than most of the replies but kudos to you all and very encouraging. I hope to still be at it in my 80s if I'm around. And as flintlocke said should it go south when one is in the outdoors doing what he/she enjoys then there are a lot, lot worse things.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
. I expect to do it until at least into my 80's.

So did I until something not expected happened.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am 75 and still do much of my hunting alone. One hunt per year for mule deer I now hunt with a younger friend in northern Wy. But whitetails, antelope and elk I still do alone. Although if I get an elk down, I can get assistance loading it if I need it. Haven't shot an elk for a couple years. Passed a couple chances this fall and haven't been out since. I am hoping to hunt deer as long as I am breathing.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
76 here. Was impressed by an 83-year-old out soloing for elk in Wy a couple years back.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by saddlesore

You never know, best go all you can while you can. I worked with an electrician that was saving all he could so he and his wife could travel when he retired. He died of cancer at 53. His wife got her a younger man, went traveling with him.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by saddlesore

You never know, best go all you can while you can. I worked with an electrician that was saving all he could so he and his wife could travel when he retired. He died of cancer at 53. His wife got her a younger man, went traveling with him.

For sure. Back in my thirties, I counted how many elk hunts I could possibly go on and made darn sure I went. I missed very few. I moved from New Mexico to Colorado so I could hunt elk every year as a resident.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
67 here, too. I don't like hunting with someone else. I'm kinda stuck with the wife though! The last couple of years she has slowed down a lot. We will have to train for next year. She's going to be 70!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
76 now, been two years since I killed a deer but still hunt. My "trick" is to shoot smaller doe for meat and fetch 'em back with the small tractor I have at camp. Or, get someone to lend a hand? No size limit on a buck that's a keeper. Figure out some way to get it back.

Given my age and general gimpyness, no longer roam as far as I once did.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 53 and stopped going it alone, dragging or loading several years ago

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
50 & going strong! Glad to read others are doing it into their 70’s. Nice work gents!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dad is 81.

Still goes by himself, always lets me know when and where. Checks in with me when done, will tell me what he saw.

Nov 29 he calls me and lets me know that he killed a big doe. I said cool, I will come help you drag it, hang it, etc...

He said "hell I already gutted and dragged, its at the processor."

Never mind then...

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
65 here, although I use a Honda 450 Rancher to help with the drag.

1st John 4:7-8
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
72 with my share of ailments and surgeries and some of yours. It’s mostly my wife and me or just me but we only deer and turkey hunt. The country we hunt now has a lot of ups and downs but I can get the Foreman downhill of a kill just about anywhere. After that I just drag the beast up the rear fender onto the rack.

The two of us got 3 bucks this year, retrieved/hung/skinned/boned and wrapped all. Son & son n law got another 4 deer and we helped with the processing on them. Still have a grinding day before we finish. I’d a lot rather be sore from doing that than laid up somewhere looking out a window. One good thing about doing it all; even if it kills me I won’t die young.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 64, and I'll be honest, I don't quite recall the last time I did it 100% solo. There is usually somebody back at camp that will come out with the truck. Furthermore, about 80% of the deer we take are shot where someone can roll the truck right up to the carcass.

2008 was probably the last time I actually did it all solo and had to drag a buck out of the ravine, walk back camp, grab the truck, and drag the carcass into the bed.

This past year, I was not much good for any of that due to the chemo. However, with the present trajectory, I should be back to my old self by next November.

One thing that has really helped is a gadget SuperCore donated to camp a number of years ago. It's called an L-E-Vator. It helps with lifting carcasses into truck beds and onto ATVs.

[Linked Image from vikingsl.com]

Once we got our L-E-Vator, it went a long way to making retrieval a 1-man job at our place.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.