Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Turned 74 last month. Hunt by myself. Ain't about to give up now!

I also turned 74 last month and still do it on my own. It appears that I will need to buy a new knee during the off season if I want to do it next year.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RIO7
No steep country or deep canyons here but lots of heavy brush,I don't drag anything, I pull up close with my Jeep drag my cable to the critter and wench them in , then hook my back winch to them and load them on the back, I'm 83 and still hunt alone, but can call for help if I need it. Rio7

Good stuff, Rio.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My grandfather hunted until he was 82. Solo? Not really.... Hunting out of a PA camp so there was always someone around.

After about 75 he didn't get too far from the truck or cabin typically. Sometimes using a cane. And even a walker.

At 82 they cut half his leg off. (Diabetes and also had cancer at that point.) and he made it to camp two more years to hang out but didn't want us to take him out in the truck or anything. Hedied at 85. He stayed with it as long as one could I think. All depends on health I suppose.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m 73 I never gave it a thought, I always hunt by myself.

Nobody else can stand me. Just thought I’d add that and save Toby the trouble!!!😂😂😂😂😂

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
At 74 the problem is that I still think like I’m 21. I tag out most years by myself, but a sled, Rokon and a utility trailer gets the hauling jobs done these days. Dad hunted with the deer camp for lots of years, but then decided to winter in Arizona. One year when he was 83 he asked if he could borrow a rifle so that he and another crocker buddy could go up to the cabin for opening weekend. He borrowed my 7 RM and darned if the old codger didn’t dump a nice ten point buck off his old deer stand! I don’t know who was more surprised, me, dad or the buck?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting buddy just turned 73. I’m 60. We are fully mechanized and independent with ATV and pickups with some sort of device to assist loading deer. He has a hoist that sticks in his receiver hitch of his toyota woods truck. I use a block and tackle to help me get a deer up on my atv.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by RIO7
No steep country or deep canyons here but lots of heavy brush,I don't drag anything, I pull up close with my Jeep drag my cable to the critter and wench them in , then hook my back winch to them and load them on the back, I'm 83 and still hunt alone, but can call for help if I need it. Rio7

Good stuff, Rio.

He’s sir. Very cool stuff.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I will be 75 in June. I fish and hunt alone most of the time because I have no one here to go with. I have no problem handling deer or anything else associated with hunting, but I am not as tough as I was in my’60’s.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
My hunting buddy just turned 73. I’m 60. We are fully mechanized and independent with ATV and pickups with some sort of device to assist loading deer. He has a hoist that sticks in his receiver hitch of his toyota woods truck. I use a block and tackle to help me get a deer up on my atv.

I'm a young 62 and I bought one of those on sale last year for just over $100. Works great, wished I'd gotten one sooner as it's also good for quartering and deboning while travelling to hunt. Two years ago I did an antelope on the ground in the blowing dust and I swore never again. My UTV has a winch so I can cut down on the dragging but my preferred method is:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When it comes to shooting does these days the drag is a consideration before pulling the trigger.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I am 75 and did get my last couple of deer out by myself. I drug one and used a bike trailer with the other. I dogo with others and we know about where each other is but rarely see each other in the field unless someone needs a hand.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Heck I'm in my 30s and hunt places I know I'm not willing to shoot a doe at lol.

Maybe I'm a wimp.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Heck I'm in my 30s and hunt places I know I'm not willing to shoot a doe at lol.

Maybe I'm a wimp.

More likely wise beyond your years...

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am 62 and walk my a** off to keep in shape when I'm not running or riding my bike. I was strictly solo until my nephew took an interest in hunting, so i tutored him. Now he's my partner and a good one, only 28 years old. Didin't get to hunt this past fall due to a new job, only the second time in the past 25 years. My plan is to keep going as long as I can. Hunting is one of the very few things i really enjoy doing as a hobby. My health is pretty good so hopefully, the lord willing, I'll be able to keep going for a long time yet!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I am 74. Almost always hunt by myself. I don’t get as far from a road as I used to and try to hunt uphill. If I get one I really take my time getting it out. I won’t drag a deer very far. Cut it up and use my packboard. I don’t want to get myself in trouble by falling or worse.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
May God bless you older guys with many more seasons.

My Dad was 72 when he died, but was still doing it all on his own. My Father-In-Law will be 79 this year and still does it alone.

I'm 52 and already use my winch and help when I can. Somewhere between the age of 45 & 50, I realized I was playing a long-term game and needed to be more careful.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by hanco
We need to start a 70 and up club
No we don't...the level of Boomer Hate here is epic. They know we go to bed at eight, and if they get our personal data, they will hunt us down at night, and perform murder most foul. And the really weak ones, like me, that cannot make pictures go from A to B, are low hanging fruit, and will be the first to die.

Hear ya well..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
68 here. Gonna keep doing it till I drop......Prefer hunting alone.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is an extremely gratifying thread. Although I don't hunt nearly as must as I used to, being a self-sufficient solo hunter for the duration is an important goal of mine.

RS

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Work smarter not harder and age won't matter as much

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.