Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
DIY solo this year at age 66.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

good for you i have been involved in a solo skin and quarter job on a bull elk like that size its a bitch alone. need help next year ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
DIY solo this year at age 66.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Congrats WY! Great bull.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very interesting thread. I like the winches shown and described but the last thing I need is more gear. I’m in the paring down mode but haven’t made a lot of progress in that regard. 😉

Sure a lot of septuagenarians (and some older) here getting it done in fine fashion and that’s nice to see. Three score and ten and if by strength more — that’s a great, specific blessing!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=dvdegeorge]Work smarter not harder and age won't matter as muc

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/4xvSzpGy/deer-lift-11.jpg[/im

could please tell me where you got this lift ? thank you,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
67 here. But it isn't the years, its the wear and tear on the back and knees.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Enjoyable thread. Some good chuckles here and lots of spot on statements!

Do what you can for as long as you can then double down and keep going a little longer.

Some of us can see that window shade being pulled down and time waits for no Man. Have memories with no regrets if at all possible.

It ain’t over till it’s over.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be 69 in November, still hunt solo a lot, but most of my hunting is about a mile or less from a highway, and it's mostly along an ancient river back, so mostly the drag is down hill.
A few times I got stuck with a deer down in a creek bed , but had hunting buddies close by that were able to help me out.
This one slid down a hill and got stuck between two trees. instead of dragging him down further , and fighting with some thick undergrowth, I called the kid and his buddy, and they made the 15 minute trip from town and pulled it up the slope then to the truck for me. :>)
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Calling Coyotes this morning using Fawn Distress look what came in to protect the Fawn, his hair was standing on end looking for a fight, 8 yr old Buck, my 6 CM 108gr. Eld-M ruined his day

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice buck RIO7. MLD?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
74 here, hunted solo most of my life,just can't do it anymore. Last deer I shot gutted loaded on the carrier and then I had to crawl to the front door of my pickup to pull myself in lucky I let the door open. That was 2 years ago before a hip replacement since then I go to the gym twice a week for a real workout. I didn't have to do it by myself this year but I'm pretty sure I could, I've actually got hard muscles again.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by catnthehat
I'll be 69 in November, still hunt solo a lot, but most of my hunting is about a mile or less from a highway, and it's mostly along an ancient river back, so mostly the drag is down hill.
A few times I got stuck with a deer down in a creek bed , but had hunting buddies close by that were able to help me out.
This one slid down a hill and got stuck between two trees. instead of dragging him down further , and fighting with some thick undergrowth, I called the kid and his buddy, and they made the 15 minute trip from town and pulled it up the slope then to the truck for me. :>)
Cat

You can't cut up deer in the field in Canuckville and take them out in pieces?

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Us kids in our 50's help the guys in their 80's as much as possible. The little guys in their 20's we fathered help even more, since G'Paw is SUPPAH KEWL!!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RIO7
Calling Coyotes this morning using Fawn Distress look what came in to protect the Fawn, his hair was standing on end looking for a fight, 8 yr old Buck, my 6 CM 108gr. Eld-M ruined his day

Cool buck RIO! Sounds like a cool hunt as well.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cat

Dandy looking rifle as well!

Semper Fi
Originally Posted by SCgman1
How old are the active deer hunters here who go out hunting deer solo.....and still dragging and loading their kills unassisted if need be.

By the time next season opens I'll be 67.

I'll be 80 next year and still hunt solo. Had to give up elk hunting because I'm too stove up to handle a 600 pound dead elk alone. Nowadays the little whitetails over in the Texas Panhandle I can handle OK, plus they've kept my freezer filled with healthy red meat.

But I don't drag deer .... quickest way I know of to ruin good venison!

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I just turned 80 y.o. in January 2023. Both my knees are artificial.

I usually hunt alone. Deer, elk, antelope and Texas exotics. My wife, ((who is 78)) and I are both licensed (HAM) radio users.

I tell her where I'm hunting. If I make a kill, I gut it, call wife on one of our radios, and she'll drive our 4X4 truck as close as she can get it.....then she'll come and help me drag to the truck and load it. Long ago, I built a ramp so they can be skidded up into pick-up pretty easily.

I also usually try to hunt uphill from any navigable trail.

In late 2022, I killed mule deer, antelope, and Texas Fallow deer.

FjLee

Denver,CO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Cat

You can't cut up deer in the field in Canuckville and take them out in pieces?
Sure can, but it is faster to just call the kid most times if the critter is down in a gully in this area, it is very close to where I live. :>)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 71 and still hunt alone for the most part. I don't mind calling for help if I need it, but I can stay with it until I get it done if I need to. There are several in a Bow Hunting club I'm in that are in their 80's that still hunt and fish alone.

I made a rope ladder to hang off the front of a friends boat so that he can get back in, if he falls out in the river. He fell out twice last summer and had a real problem getting back in. He's in his 80's and has always fished alone.

We all understand that, if something happens while we are either hunting or fishing and we don't make it out, then we passed where we wanted to be doing what we loved to do. I told my wife that if my friends have to field dress me to get me out, don't hold it against any of them because they are all old too.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SCgman1
How old are the active deer hunters here who go out hunting deer solo.....and still dragging and loading their kills unassisted if need be.

By the time next season opens I'll be 67.

78 and though I think more about what I am doing, and I don't push myself like I used to. I still go it. Admittedly, I also hunt Anticosti with my wife and take some of the load off of me.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I'm 71 and still hunt alone for the most part. I don't mind calling for help if I need it, but I can stay with it until I get it done if I need to. There are several in a Bow Hunting club I'm in that are in their 80's that still hunt and fish alone.

I made a rope ladder to hang off the front of a friends boat so that he can get back in, if he falls out in the river. He fell out twice last summer and had a real problem getting back in. He's in his 80's and has always fished alone.

We all understand that, if something happens while we are either hunting or fishing and we don't make it out, then we passed where we wanted to be doing what we loved to do. I told my wife that if my friends have to field dress me to get me out, don't hold it against any of them because they are all old too.

Well said sir.

I've told my wife on numerous occasions; the best thing that can happen to me is, I head for my tree stand one morning and I don't come back.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, Akpilot, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.