24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
Hi... from a few comments above, brought it all back to me. And many of you feel the same way. Was a huge baseball fan in the early '60s, living in nyc with the Yankees made it easy. Trouble was the winters, until, my Father had a football game on , the playoffs Giants vs Packers, who destroyed them. THAT was it . i was mystified. Lombardi, Starr, Nitschke, Kramer, Hornung, Taylor, Fuzzy, etc etc. I LIVED every victory with them over the next few years and died every defeat. Saw EVERY game that was televised with hem in it. All the playoffs, both Super Bowls. Then like a fart in the breeze, they were all gone. And then the bs that still continues today started; ya-ya dances, ball spiking, swinging from the goal posts etc etc. The PRIDE was all gone. It got brutal for me. Haven't watched NOTHING of foolball these days with their criminals, antics, and other tom -fooleries. GO TO HELL !
But in '16 did something i promised i would do moments after the Packers won the infamous Ice bowl game; I would visit Green Bay someday. Did the usual tourist traps, Lambeau, practice field, Rip off Packer stores with crap from china, but it still brought me back to those innocent years of the '60s. It made me remember that i had made one other promise. I always wanted to meet Bart Starr. I wrote him a letter as he was living his last days in his Alabama. Bart's son responded back saying that his Dad was moved by my letter and would like to meet with me. I'm so glad that i was given the opportunity to meet with him. As he fought through the condition that would finally take his life, i still saw in him the epitome of what a decent Christian gentleman should be, something he was always known for during his playing years. When we parted, I in tears, all i could say was " I love you man", to which he replied "I love you too' He would pass 9mths later. God rest his soul and to those professionals who played football when pride still mattered.

GB2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by towerladder
Hi... from a few comments above, brought it all back to me. And many of you feel the same way. Was a huge baseball fan in the early '60s, living in nyc with the Yankees made it easy. Trouble was the winters, until, my Father had a football game on , the playoffs Giants vs Packers, who destroyed them. THAT was it . i was mystified. Lombardi, Starr, Nitschke, Kramer, Hornung, Taylor, Fuzzy, etc etc. I LIVED every victory with them over the next few years and died every defeat. Saw EVERY game that was televised with hem in it. All the playoffs, both Super Bowls. Then like a fart in the breeze, they were all gone. And then the bs that still continues today started; ya-ya dances, ball spiking, swinging from the goal posts etc etc. The PRIDE was all gone. It got brutal for me. Haven't watched NOTHING of foolball these days with their criminals, antics, and other tom -fooleries. GO TO HELL !
But in '16 did something i promised i would do moments after the Packers won the infamous Ice bowl game; I would visit Green Bay someday. Did the usual tourist traps, Lambeau, practice field, Rip off Packer stores with crap from china, but it still brought me back to those innocent years of the '60s. It made me remember that i had made one other promise. I always wanted to meet Bart Starr. I wrote him a letter as he was living his last days in his Alabama. Bart's son responded back saying that his Dad was moved by my letter and would like to meet with me. I'm so glad that i was given the opportunity to meet with him. As he fought through the condition that would finally take his life, i still saw in him the epitome of what a decent Christian gentleman should be, something he was always known for during his playing years. When we parted, I in tears, all i could say was " I love you man", to which he replied "I love you too' He would pass 9mths later. God rest his soul and to those professionals who played football when pride still mattered.

Well said, Bart Starr was the greatest quarterback of all time, not only for his play on the field but his generosity off of the field. Its such a shame that he constantly gets overlooked as the greatest of all time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The recent sadness that descended upon the frozen tundra can be traced directly to the decree made by the competition committee before the game that the Packers could not throw a pass to anyone other than Adams.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being a life long Packers fan, and as of late, a very lukewarm NFL fan, the loss to the 49'ers is very disturbing, not to mention puzzling. Like him or not, Aaron Rodgers has been one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. Unfortunately for him, he's played on some very poor Packer teams, but most of all, he's been cursed with some bad coaches. I don't know was responsible for the play calling in that game, but they should have been fired on Sunday morning. San Fran is not a good team, and in my mind, that's one of the most disappointing and unnecessary losses in Packer history.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Being a life long Packers fan, and as of late, a very lukewarm NFL fan, the loss to the 49'ers is very disturbing, not to mention puzzling. Like him or not, Aaron Rodgers has been one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. Unfortunately for him, he's played on some very poor Packer teams, but most of all, he's been cursed with some bad coaches. I don't know was responsible for the play calling in that game, but they should have been fired on Sunday morning. San Fran is not a good team, and in my mind, that's one of the most disappointing and unnecessary losses in Packer history.

No joke

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Rogers is the man.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
When I was a small lad, say 1st. grade we lived in Wisconsin. Yup. I was a Packer's fan.

Then my family moved to Minnesota, by then I was in 3rd grade.............Now I'm 64.

I've been disappointed in football ever since.

Last edited by Knarley_Bob; 01/17/23.

A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
MOLON LABE
LET'S GO BRANDON!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm surprised (and, I must say, gratified) that the fans of the Vikings, Lions, and Bears don't spend their time trumpeting the glories of the NFC North.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
467 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.