Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've been elk hunting in Oregon the past few days. Got a depredation permit which allowed me to take one cow elk. Often a cow elk hunt is fairly easy. This was one of the more grueling hunting days I've done, at least in the past 10 years or so. Steep and rocky ridges to climb, and the ground was so saturated with water from recent snow melt and rain that each step was a struggle. We put in almost five miles that day, all off-trail, and climbed two steep ridges to get to the elk.

Chukar flushed on one stalk, and the elk left quickly. So, onto plan B. The elk that we stalked on plan B left the area while we were moving in behind a ridge.

Then suddenly two groups of elk came over the ridge and clustered together 900 yards or so away... We set about closing that distance. Although the NRA calls me a "Long Range High Master" in competition, I'm not real keen on taking long-range shots at wild game. So, I wanted to get closer. After a long stalk, including at least 100 yards of crawling, we ended up at about 400 yards from the elk. I picked one out that didn't have another elk standing behind it, held on the front of her chest because of the strong sidewind, and on top of her back because of the drop at 400 yards. Zach ranged her at 405 yards. Steadied the crosshairs in my 6x Leupold and squeezed the trigger. We heard a loud "thwap" from the bullet striking! It had broken what some refer to as the "elbow" of her left front leg, entered low in the chest and hit the heart!

Now, it's good to know that elk are tenacious of life. With one leg useless and a bullet hole through her heart, this cow elk staggered a bit, then decided to leave the area! She went over a ridge and we went after her, then I finished her at much shorter range. I knelt beside her and thanked her for giving my family that good meat. She turned out to be a rather large dry cow, perfect for meat.

We de-boned her on the spot and loaded her into our packs, then hiked a mile down to the road.

This was NOT an easy hunt, I was literally exhausted afterwards. Fortunately I had two strong 38 year old guys with me who carried the bulk of the meat down the ridge. I carried the backstraps and tenderloins, heavy enough for 66 year old me.

We hunted some more in the general area for the next couple of days, but I never got another shot opportunity. What a great way to spend the weekend. smile Came home with some heavy and excellent elk meat. I don't know yet how much elk meat I've got, but it's a lot! Elk meat if you don't know, is delicious. I'm a happy hunter.

405 yards, Remington 700 CDL, 30-06 with handloaded 178 grain Hornady ELD-X bullets at 2790 fps via Ramshot Hunter, and a 6x Leupold scope. This rifle has been very successful for me over the years.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards, Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 01/16/23.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Congrats!! Thanks for sharing your great hunt. Nice looking cow. Enjoy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great combination

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations, always enjoy your write ups. There is a lot to be said for getting to know one rifle through years of use.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats! Its always satisfying to work hard and get rewarded.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
.very nice!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats on a successful hunt. nice write up. thanks for sharing.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Way to go Guy! How did that ELD X perform aside from the end result?
S.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smallfry
Way to go Guy! How did that ELD X perform aside from the end result?
S.

It smashed the joint many would call the "elbow" then went through the lower part of the heart. We didn't find the bullet so I think it went out when we were field dressing the elk. Surely did work though. I've got a photo of the heart with the bullet hole. Will try to post that here.

Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 01/16/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on the elk hunt Guy! That is excellent!

Great shooting and cool to see that old CDL in the field.

Semper Fi
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like it did just fine!
S.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
Congrats on the elk hunt Guy! That is excellent!

Great shooting and cool to see that old CDL in the field.

Thanks Scotty. smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A 30/06? You serious? I thought the other thread stated emphatically that the 30/06 couldn’t get the job done. 😆

Sincere congrats on a great shot, great animal!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Congrats Cascade!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Godogs57
A 30/06? You serious? I thought the other thread stated emphatically that the 30/06 couldn’t get the job done. 😆

Sincere congrats on a great shot, great animal!

At 400 yards? No way it would work. He should tell that elk to get up and get moving!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting pic. I've never shot an ELD. As a comparison, years ago I got my hands on a bunch of 165 gr. Accubond blems that I use in my 30-06. I've shot a lot an animals with them, at least a half dozen through the heart. I've never had one leave a hole like that. A heart shot leaves the heart obliterated, sometimes literally in 2 or more pieces. They're much more explosive. At the same time, I've had a few come apart. One time I found the copper bullet case in a far shoulder. Later I found the lead core in the heart.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Another win for the 06.
Good job Guy!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Way to go Guy!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fotis
Way to go Guy!

Thanks Fotis & all. It was a great hunt and a good way to start my 2023 hunting year. Am really looking forward to the great meals to come, and awfully glad that I was still able to get out there and get it done, with the help of a couple of strong 38 year old men. Without them, I don't think I could have done that hunt.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story and a great shot. And it's obvious you have experience shooting at distance because you knew just where to hold with the 6x. I hope she tastes great!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,455
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.