Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Right handed, right eye dominate.
Right eye has gone to hell, left is 20-25.
Tried LH mounting guns, seems awkward.
Suggestions ?

BP-B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Maybe a cripple stock? I'd imagine that would involve a lot of money, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My solution (same issue) was to grab the 10/22 and start burning up ammo. It started out awkward as heck (I am an extreme righty), but I'm back to wing shooting and rifle shooting.

Still not as natural as what I'd been doing for 40 years off the starboard side, but I'm back in the game.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I thing “Dutch” has the right idea….lots of practice!

I’m a Lefty for sure. Had a buck come into my hunting stand from an awkward angle. Couldn’t shoot lefty…had to try righty. It was awkward as hell, but I managed to make it work and the shot was successful.
If there’s a will, there’s a way….Practice makes perfect.

Good luck,

Leftybolt

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck with it. It will never feel quite natural when wing shooting, but off the bench or from a supported position it will feel natural after practice. One thing I notice is when shooting from the right side I notice heavy recoil much more than if I were shooting from my left side. Back in 2009 I was having an issue with my left eye and had to have an injection in that eye. A day later and I was shooting a competition. That weekend I also shot a buck at 600 yards with my comp rifle. At 600 yards, I could not make the shot left handed, because of my vision, so had to switch to the right side. Easy enough off of a pack and my competition rifle.. I still shoot right handed when shooting irons because my left eye is not good enough. With optics, I shoot left handed. A competent hunter should be able to switch back and forth with no issues.. Many don't though, so they probably have many missed opportunities.. To each their own. Op, it will take quite a bit of practice, but don't get disparaged..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks. Oddly enough, with a blacked out right lens, my single bbl trap guns feel the best "lefty"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 22lr suggestion is good but if you plan on running a bolt action do yourself a favor and find an CZ or Tikka 22lr bolt action. I've got a CZ 452 as a trainer and it feels like a real rifle. Then I go to the 270win after this. It just helps.

Another good thing to do is shouldering and bolt manipulation and dry fire practice. This costs nothing and it build tremendous muscle memory and form. I do this a decent amount and then I go and practice offhand field shooting.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I’m very curious as to how well you will pick up switching. I never thought of anyone having to do that later in life. I wish you a lot of luck. About the only advice I can think of has been mentioned. Use a 22lr simply because it’s going to be cheaper and will go much further when practicing the basics. Semi autos are good but use all you can like bolts, pumps and levers. If you have an area to walk or hike with a rifle and shoot, that will help if you can do it regularly. Kind of like the military and their seemingly pointless drills. Those drills are meant to imprint the rifle to the shooter, but you will need to focus on the left side. During the walk, mount and shoot the rifle at random things like small rocks, bushes, and crotches of trees. Maybe it’s not too important that you shoot each time, but the repetition will slowly improve your ability and confidence. Don’t forget to include kneeling and seating as part of the hike.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
The 22lr suggestion is good but if you plan on running a bolt action do yourself a favor and find an CZ or Tikka 22lr bolt action. I've got a CZ 452 as a trainer and it feels like a real rifle. Then I go to the 270win after this. It just helps.

Another good thing to do is shouldering and bolt manipulation and dry fire practice. This costs nothing and it build tremendous muscle memory and form. I do this a decent amount and then I go and practice offhand field shooting.

The reason I suggested starting with an auto was that it eliminates the bolt. One thing at a time. First thing is learning how to shoulder the rifle, acquire sight picture, trigger feel, etc.

Bolt operation, safety manipulation, reloading etc comes next.

Nothing wrong with dry firing practice or mounting drills, other than they bore me to tears, so I go plink varmints, instead, with starlings getting the brunt of the practice both with 22’s and with the 12 ga.

It’ll take some time, and a lot of practice, and in my case many starlings were given a second chance at life because I didn’t take the safety off or momentarily shouldered to the wrong side. Just keeping at it is the way, it gets better every time you practice.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both my boys are strongly right handed and strongly left eyed. Once I figured that out, I taught them to shoot lefthanded. Best, easiest, cheapest practice for them was Nerf guns! As Dutch stated, just get to where mounting the fire arm feels correct first.

I like his suggest of a .22 auto for the reasons he stated. Might want to consider getting a LH one, to keep brass out of your field of view. Very few options that I know of, but Savage does make a few. Another cheap option to for lots of easy practice would be a BB/pellet gun. Could be done at or inside the home! laugh

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just practice. Dry fire practice as well.

I switched for the same reason. My right eye still thinks it's dominant but its vision isn't even close. I now shoot better from the left and instinctively shoulder on the left. That took a while.

Archery was more difficult but not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm probably five years into it and I doubt I'll ever be as good left handed as I was right handed but I'm decent.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Be careful shooting RH guns from LH your exposed to all the gas relief and you only have one good eye!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Be careful shooting RH guns from LH your exposed to all the gas relief and you only have one good eye!
This is something I worry about so I went lefty. I have gotten crud in my eye even wearing glasses with auto loading 22lr rifles. All it takes is one time and it could be bad.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Originally Posted by kk alaska
This is something I worry about so I went lefty. I have gotten crud in my eye even wearing glasses with auto loading 22lr rifles. All it takes is one time and it could be bad.

If you only have one good eye, that only make sense.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 84 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.