Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've read that GSPs can be a bit aloof. How are they as family dogs? Do they seek out the company of their people, like to snooze on the sofa, etc.?

Thanks, RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 01/18/23.
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've only had a couple, but aloof they were NOT. A little nutty perhaps, but very loving. On the sofa? Not here. Dogs are welcome in the house, but not on the furniture. I'm a lab guy mostly but will probably get another GSP someday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine are a bit rowdy to be honest...but I don't see myself getting anything else.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Mine are a bit rowdy to be honest...but I don't see myself getting anything else.

They look like absolute beasts, LOL. Are they part Pit? :-)

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
They are great hunting dogs and have as keen senses of any dog I have seen. Personalities vary widely. I have had several as calm and smart as could be and then I have had barkers and chewers and water bowl poopers.

I have never had a house dog. Just raised that way. That's another opinion and discussion. I certainly wouldn't have a 40 to 75 lb dog in the house.

Just remember they are the epitome of high energy!!!!! I'm sure they mellow as they age, but when they are young....watch out. My son bought one 6 months ago against my advice. Beautiful smart dog. Not a "bad" dog, but can't sit still. Constantly jumping up and down on furniture etc. Glad he has his own place. I couldn't take it.

I have two myself. I hunt them as much as possible. They are kenneled outside though. Good luck with your decision.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine have always been house dogs, they are cuddlers and goofballs. No dogs on furniture allowed here.

The trick is to be very strict with manners when they are young, then exercise them every day.

Not good pets without both.

Machines in the field, chill cuddlers in the house if you put in the work.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Young ones might need a good hunt or run around the yard to get tired, but the are great cuddlers. Nothin to keep you warm like a GSP in the winter. And relatively easy to furniture train.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It depends on the breeding/bloodline. Those from field trial & hunting lines tend to be high energy and need a lot of exercise.

German Kurzhaars tend to be a little calmer in nature and more aloof.

If you're looking for a GSP for strictly a pet or house dog I'd suggest another breed.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Mine is asleep on the floor next to my chair right now. I wouldn't have it any other way.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had two. Got them both from Sal Curci of Hilltop Kennels in Ca. Dotti was the first one and she was nickname Dotti the wonder dog as she accounted for a lot of pheasants and huns and chucker's in Idaho and hundreds of quail in CA. On one occasion Bring Crosby was hunting the same ranch as me and came over and said what a fine dogs she was. Then Sal gave me another shorthair named Blazer as he was a bit to control but he also turned out to be and excepional hunter with a lot of style. Sal told me that no man deserved two dogs like these in one lifetime. These two were part of our family and had free reign in the house. Advance age is the only thing keeping me from having another one.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We had GSPs when our kids were little.

Gentle and protective around kids. Better friends were not possible.

Hell on wheels with the birds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RipSnort
I've read that GSPs can be a bit aloof. How are they as family dogs? Do they seek out the company of their people, like to snooze on the sofa, etc.?

Thanks, RS

FTR, I have owned a male GSP, a female GSP, and a 1/2GSP+1/2APBT mix. Doesn't make me an expert, but I can spell, "GSP." Due to circumstances(1), none of them were trained to hunt/point (though that did not stop them), but were just family dogs.

Yes, they are great family dogs if you manage to get them some exercise. The easiest, laziest way to get GSPs enough exercise is to have TWO GSPs, or one GSP and some other dog. TWO GSPs will create a whole lot less drama than a single GSP without a dog buddy to play with when you're gone. They wear each other out playing with and chewing on each other or wrestling over "The Best Stick In The World (for today)." Frankly, I would only own a single dog if death took one of our two dogs. The two-dog dynamic is so much better. And if you stagger them a bit, the older dog will show the newer dog all the ropes. For potty training, we let the old dog (female GSP) teach two newcomers how to use the doggie door and where outside to take care of things. No crates, only two pee incidents from two new(er) dogs. Easiest potty training ever, x2.

We WANT our dogs to bond tightly to us, especially the kids when they were younger. So, they were welcome to sit next to us on the couch and sleep with the kiddos at night. (Want to stop the whole, "I'm afraid of monsters" deal with toddlers? Never an issue after we told my then-toddler older kiddo that Misty the GSP could sleep with him and that "She bites monsters." Younger kiddo never had a single monster incident due to GSP monster protection from the get-go.)

And all our 2.5 GSPs were serious snugglers and were pretty happy doing whatever it was you were doing, as long as they had enough exercise (see above).

Yes, different blood lines will impact behavior. Both full GSPs were from families that bred their good hunter to another good hunter, but our oldest male was naturally more hunty and roamed a bit more when off leash. He was happy if he could see or hear us. The female GSP stayed closer to her people. Our German Shorthaired Bulldog sticks close and still will point.

(1) We have a tendency to take on dogs other family members can no longer care for due to circumstances.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve had two. On trainers recommendation bothe we’re taken off the female and right into the pretty Mohicans hands.
She actually had them sleeping on her the first three nights. They were both highly bred studs and despite incredible energy neither nipped, bit, or even growled at anyone. Peoplize them immediately and it makes a difference
Great dogs, fearless and smart and don’t ever doubt their nose.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wonderful dogs. Stick to the old school lines. Some of rhe newer lines that people thi k need to compete with English pointers are trying to wreck what has been built by generations and are pretty energetic
My personal preference is Wildburg.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes great family dogs and excellent hunters, lost my sweetheart yesterday she was 9.

Attached Images
sweetheart2.jpg (41.04 KB, 307 downloads)
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Condolences, Duke, I also have a 9-year-old shorthair that I treasure. I truly feel your pain.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you GF1, it is very painful.

Sympathies, Duke61. It hurts so much to lose them. What a beautiful girl!

Cheesy and T Bone, great photos!! The two enjoying the swimming pool makes me laugh smile

RipSnort, GSP's are knows to be "velcro dogs" wanting to be around their owner(s) all the time and often get "separation anxiety"

My husband and I went to Arkansas from Minnesota to pick up our current GSP, Scout, after losing our last one at 14. Scout was surrendered back to the breeder in Arkansas. He was 1 1/2 at the time (now 4), and would be my 5th German Shorthair. My husband said no more dogs, as he did not want to go through losing another. Plus he has always been a lab guy. I wasn't giving up and wanted/needed another (or two!) At one time in the past we had a Black Lab and two GSP's. Good times! I have to figure out how to post pictures...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bode
Wonderful dogs. Stick to the old school lines. Some of rhe newer lines that people thi k need to compete with English pointers are trying to wreck what has been built by generations and are pretty energetic
My personal preference is Wildburg.

Whatever you do, select a reputable kennel. The Amish puppy mills in Lancaster county, Penna. are turning out dogs that LOOK like GSP's but are a far cry from the real thing.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sorry to hear Duke. My condolences.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,509
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.