Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What’s the word on these guns? Unable to find one locally for a long time now and getting antsy….

Mesa or Mesa titanium are my two interests,

Left handed and in .308 with the Titanium model or the standard Mesa in .308 or 7-08,

The Mesa is the ceracote version and the Ti just good old fashioned Stainless barrel with Ti action,

Just looking for random thoughts on these rifles.

BP-B6

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Do a search on the 'fire. There's plenty of input already here.

I'm a happy camper with mine.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Have one in .308 has quickly become my go to gun.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by farmer
Have one in .308 has quickly become my go to gun.

Mesa or Ti version?

If Mesa, how’s the Cera cote holding up?

Weight and how scoped?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regular Mesas in 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creed. They both shoot well and function well. My PRC had to go back to CA for some work. They were stellar. I can recommend them. They also have a new lighter version in the Mesa FFT. It is appreciably lighter, but I don't care for the feel of the stock.

Now with that said, if spending between 700-1500 bucks, there's no sense in buying anything other than a Tikka, unless you insist upon made in USA guns.

IC B2

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Regular Mesas in 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creed. They both shoot well and function well. My PRC had to go back to CA for some work. They were stellar. I can recommend them. They also have a new lighter version in the Mesa FFT. It is appreciably lighter, but I don't care for the feel of the stock.

Now with that said, if spending between 700-1500 bucks, there's no sense in buying anything other than a Tikka, unless you insist upon made in USA guns.

Have a Tikka in 6.5, that stock is headed to John boy for paint, that slippery feel must be gone, otherwise nothing wrong with the Tikka just bored with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My (basic, standard) Mesa in 6.5 CM is my most accurate rifle. I am very pleased with it. Mine may be above average for the "herd" but it sure shoots well, with several different bullets. Light weight, durable - just a great little hunting rifle.

This from a "blued steel and walnut" kind of a guy.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My son and I both have the standard Mesa’s in 6.5 creed. They are light, accurate, and have become both the go to guns for both of us for deer.

My son is only 13 and my dad gave him his Mesa NIB roughly 2.5 years ago before dad passed away. I liked it so much that I ordered mine shortly after when Sportsmans had them on sale for around $1k.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How many are using the thread protector rather than the brake?

Does the thread protector come in the same finish?

Anyone care to put a mic on the end of the barrel for me? Curious as to approx contour of the barrel.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a Mesa in .308. I’d LOVE one in the Mesa FFT, preferably in 7-08.

I like them a lot. A well balanced rifle. Their not perfect IMO but they’re a great rifle for most conditions.

I’ve never shot mine with the break. I have a thread protector. I shot a few FFT’s with the break and it was night and day. The PRC was light recoiling, like a 243. The 7-08 was light enough that I could see my bullet make the hole.

Last edited by tzone; 01/18/23.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I had a Mesa FFT .308 Win and it was an excellent rifle in every way, I sold it and bought a Ridgeline FFT .308 Win and also have one chambered in .300 Win both are excellent rifle's and I dont use the brake on either rifle, they are very comfortable to shoot and most accurate indeed, my next rifle will be a Ridgeline FFT 30-06.....Buy a Mesa FFT and I think you will be very satisfied....Good luck...Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Good post Paul. My buddy just had to buy a Christensen. The rifle shoots great, but even he says he will never buy another one. He has been turned on to Tikka. Just the way the cookie crumbles..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned five CA rifles, 4 Ridgelines and 1 MPR, happy with all of them.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I also have a Mesa in the 6.5 CM. The barrel doesn't sit square in the barrel channel but the rifle shoots pretty darn good no matter what I feed it.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Anyone care to put a mic on the end of the barrel for me? Curious as to approx contour of the barrel.

Mine did not ship with a thread protector, only the brake. On my PRC, I had a gunsmith crank me out a matching one, and it's so good that you can't tell it's there. For the Creed, I bought a cheap generic protector that doesn't match.

The PRC and the Creed have different barrel profiles. PRC at the protector barrel junction is .675. Creed is .585

I don't use the brakes at all.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 01/19/23.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have the regular mesa in 308, love it. My last three rifles have been Tikkas.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Buddy had one in 28 Nosler and it was possessed. Sometimes would shoot great other times all over the board. Barrel wasn't free floated which I would expect from a rifle at that price point. Wasn't the cause of erratic just expected more. Regardless, sample of one went down the road.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, appreciate all the comments guys,,

However, found a LGS about 1.5 hours away and they had a few Christensen Arms rifles in stock, including the basic Mesa,

I drove there, and drove back home with no Mesa, for 1500 it just didn’t scream take me home,

A Tikka in .308 for 850, or a Mesa for 1500,

That 700 dollar difference will buy a nice scope for the Tikka should I go that route.

The 2 main detractors, the Cerracote and then the ergos of the grip, I much prefer more vertical in the grip, and trust me, I’ve thrown more money at stocks than a reasonable person should have, When I don’t like a stock, that rifle don’t stick around too long……

Did score some primers though at a decent price, so there is that!

Appreciate you all.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Mine did not ship with a thread protector, only the brake. On my PRC, I had a gunsmith crank me out a matching one, and it's so good that you can't tell it's there. For the Creed, I bought a cheap generic protector that doesn't match.

The PRC and the Creed have different barrel profiles. PRC at the protector barrel junction is .675. Creed is .585

Thanks Paul, that .585 is a true feather weight contour, handled one tonight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks Paul, that .585 is a true feather weight contour, handled one tonight.

You are welcome. I have only had mine to the range for one session, and it didn't disappoint.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a standard Mesa in 308 with a SWFA 3-9x. Accuracy hasn't been as consistent as I'd like but I like the rifle well enough I'll keep working with it for a while. I'd take either of my Fieldcrafts any day over the Mesa. Same with my Tikka...

I don't recall there being a thread protector included with it but will shoot it without the loudener next time out to see if there's any improvement.

Last edited by JGray; 01/19/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray
I have a standard Mesa in 308 with a SWFA 3-9x. Accuracy hasn't been as consistent as I'd like but I like the rifle well enough I'll keep working with it for a while. I'd take either of my Fieldcrafts any day over the Mesa. Same with my Tikka...

I don't recall there being a thread protector included with it but will shoot it without the loudener next time out to see if there's any improvement.

You can get a cheap generic thread protector for 10-12 bucks off ebay.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
2 seasons ago, at the last few minutes, on the last day I swapped my Mesa in 6.5CM for my buddies Ridgeline in 6.5PRC.
Both were launching the same bullet, mine a handload, his factory. I knew his would leave the muzzle ~150+ fps faster than mine and the distance was 460+ yards. Just a bit more impact velocity as insurance.

I laid the rifle across the backpack and waited for the cow elk to stand up. I guessed which direction it would turn and set the crosshair. I got lucky, the cow stepped into the crosshair and I fired.

That was the first time I ever handled a Ridgeline. The grip seemed the same as on my Mesa, the trigger pull the same, and the recoil trivial given the MB. I like it.

My hunting partner keeps trying to get me to buy one. I tell him he just needs to keep hunting with me.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray

You can get a cheap generic thread protector for 10-12 bucks off ebay.

Thanks for the tip - Christensen Arms lists theirs for $16 if I recall correctly. Big Stick talked about cutting the loudener back flush with the crown to serve as a perfectly matched thread protector. My rifle is bronze cerakote finished so his idea makes a lot of sense - I'm not a fan of muzzle brakes anyway

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I told myself The Mesa wasn’t really what I was looking for,

I told myself that I did not need anymore rifles,

I told myself………oh whatever,

Left hand Mesa Ti in .308 headed this way,

Resistance was futile.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Do the mesa’s have different action lengths?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP
Do the mesa’s have different action lengths?

Yes.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Can the bolt handles be changed?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The bolt knob? Yes I believe they can be screwed off and changed,

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I saw one at Scheels in Dallas a couple weeks ago and it was a nice looking rifle. I was in a hurry so didn’t look at some things too closely, I need to go look again.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP
Can the bolt handles be changed?

If you really need a push, Eurooptics has some sale prices on these rifles.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Lol thanks

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The handle is welded to the bolt on my son's FFT. I'm not sure that the carbon fiber bolt knob is removable from the handle, but maybe. The bolt handle is my least favorite part of the rifle.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rovert
The handle is welded to the bolt on my son's FFT. I'm not sure that the carbon fiber bolt knob is removable from the handle, but maybe. The bolt handle is my least favorite part of the rifle.

I’m not real sure if there welded on or not, CA sells bolt knobs has components.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You're correct. The bolt knobs must all be threaded.

B
B
I’ve got a Mesa in 6.5 CM, with a Maven RS3 scope on it. I bought it 3 years ago, and it’s been very reliable. I have multiple hand loads for it, all H4350, with 140 BT, 140 AB and 143 ELDX. All hunting rounds, all under .430 moa. I bought it mainly for the grandkids to shoot deer, but it’s an enjoyable and dependable rifle. I’d buy another one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CA offers thread protectors for both the lighter contour (CM) and heavier (PRC/Win Mag) contour in multiple colors.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m not a fan of the large “tactical” style bolt handle either. This is the reason I haven’t given a Mesa any serious consideration. I got a Mauser M-12 Impact a few years ago. Absolutely a great rifle all around, except that damn huge bolt handle.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If the bolt knob is threaded on, and I believe it is,

Can’t imagine a ‘smith couldn’t spin up a modified ball style knob quick like.

I’m also a fan of a simple Winchester style round classic knob.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve used this guy. Quick and reasonable $.

The Polished Knob

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I’ve used this guy. Quick and reasonable $.

The Polished Knob

Gotta be pretty brave to click on a link titled “polished knob” 😂😂

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ok, appreciate all the comments guys,,

However, found a LGS about 1.5 hours away and they had a few Christensen Arms rifles in stock, including the basic Mesa,

I drove there, and drove back home with no Mesa, for 1500 it just didn’t scream take me home,

A Tikka in .308 for 850, or a Mesa for 1500,

That 700 dollar difference will buy a nice scope for the Tikka should I go that route.

The 2 main detractors, the Cerracote and then the ergos of the grip, I much prefer more vertical in the grip, and trust me, I’ve thrown more money at stocks than a reasonable person should have, When I don’t like a stock, that rifle don’t stick around too long……

Did score some primers though at a decent price, so there is that!

Appreciate you all.

Mesa has a stainless barrel FWIW

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Initial barrel break in today, and so far I’m really liking this rifle.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Initial barrel break in today, and so far I’m really liking this rifle.
Excellent! Keep us updated...Hb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.