D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by denton
The distribution of group sizes is not normal. It looks like a Normal Distribution that has been pushed to the left, with a long tail to the right. So the 68% rule for plus or minus one standard deviation isn't quite right, but it's also not far off. Also, there is no Central Limit Theorem for any measure of dispersion (range, SD, group size), so collections of data do not tend toward normality.
denton,

Could you elaborate on your reasoning here?

It's just a mathmatical truth.

If you are taking inteval/ratio data such as FPS, peak pressure, millimeters, etc., then Central Limit kicks in and the Distribution of Means will have a strong tendency toward normality. That is very convenient for users of the T Test and ANOVA because you don't usually have to worry much about the normality of the data, and the Standard Error of the Mean converges pretty quickly.

Switch to any measure of dispersion, and it's a different world. There is no tendency toward normality. The Distribution of Means looks just as awful as the raw data, and separating normal random variation from real change takes a lot bigger sample. If you're terminally curious, I could scan a page or two out of a text and post it for you.

So for interval/ratio data, we use T and ANOVA. For SD we use F, Bartlett, or Levene's Test.

I was also curious about the underlying distribution. Can you elaborate on that?

In terms of the CLT, I don't follow the reasoning. It seems to me that group size can be considered an independent random variable, in itself, with some underlying distribution. Random sampling of group size, regardless of its underlying distribution, should follow a Gaussian distribution as the number of samples tends to infinity. As least that's how it seems to me, but I'd be interested to understand this better if I'm wrong.

The fundamental issue is that all measures of dispersion are differences between data points. Data points behave as we have come to expect. Differences do not. They do not like to be cornered and made to tell the truth. Skewness and kurtosis are even worse. You need thousands of data to get a good grip on those parameters.

For an article I was doing, I created a 20000 shot simulation. With that, I got a very good estimate of the group size distribution. It looks a lot like the distribution of standard deviations: a normal distribution that has been pushed to the left.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I have a 21 pound test platform that measures 1 3/16" dia at the end of the straight 26" barrel. This eliminates most of the variation I'm likely to induce into the system.

Aside from massive reams of data, the shooter, especially with a sporting rifle is w/o a doubt the weakest link in the system..........doing as above mitigates much of that issue.

Statistics like this can drive a sane person mad if you let it.

Compromises have to be made & each shooter, more or less, has to come to grips with his system & what he is willing to do or accept.

I'm not a target shooter, so my needs are less stringent than what an F Class shooter's might be.

Jack Leuba is a honcho at KAC (Knight's Armament) who supplies a lot of ordnance to SF type people. This is an interesting article with a slightly different tack that some shooters might find interesting.

Let's Talk Accuracy

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just got around to watching the first 17 minutes of the video. I think I'd have a really fun time working with Bryan on his testing. I've come away with a lot of respect for his methods.

The critically important idea he puts forward is that a 1 MOA rifle will routinely print groups as small as half an inch and as large as an inch and a half with absolutely no change in the rifle, cartridge, shooter, or environmental conditions. That's basic built-in variation. So his next point is that if you shoot a 1" group, and then change your trigger technique and shoot a 1/2" group, you don't know whether it was basic built-in variation or real change in performance. A lot of shooters spend a lot of time chasing random variation. No matter, it's all good practice. smile

The average of three five-shot groups will let you estimate the long term precision of your rifle within about 25%. To get it much closer than that, you need really big sample sizes.

He does make a subtle statistical error or two, but these are not important to the result. The distribution of group sizes is not normal. It looks like a Normal Distribution that has been pushed to the left, with a long tail to the right. So the 68% rule for plus or minus one standard deviation isn't quite right, but it's also not far off. Also, there is no Central Limit Theorem for any measure of dispersion (range, SD, group size), so collections of data do not tend toward normality.

The golden nugget award right there. Thanks

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The distribution of group sizes is not normal. It looks like a Normal Distribution that has been pushed to the left, with a long tail to the right. So the 68% rule for plus or minus one standard deviation isn't quite right, but it's also not far off. Also, there is no Central Limit Theorem for any measure of dispersion (range, SD, group size), so collections of data do not tend toward normality.
denton,

If you are taking inteval/ratio data such as FPS, peak pressure, millimeters, etc., then Central Limit kicks in and the Distribution of Means will have a strong tendency toward normality. That is very convenient for users of the T Test and ANOVA because you don't usually have to worry much about the normality of the data, and the Standard Error of the Mean converges pretty quickly.

Switch to any measure of dispersion, and it's a different world. There is no tendency toward normality. The Distribution of Means looks just as awful as the raw data, and separating normal random variation from real change takes a lot bigger sample. If you're terminally curious, I could scan a page or two out of a text and post it for you.

So for interval/ratio data, we use T and ANOVA. For SD we use F, Bartlett, or Levene's Test.

I was also curious about the underlying distribution. Can you elaborate on that?

In terms of the CLT, I don't follow the reasoning. It seems to me that group size can be considered an independent random variable, in itself, with some underlying distribution. Random sampling of group size, regardless of its underlying distribution, should follow a Gaussian distribution as the number of samples tends to infinity. As least that's how it seems to me, but I'd be interested to understand this better if I'm wrong.

The fundamental issue is that all measures of dispersion are differences between data points. Data points behave as we have come to expect. Differences do not. They do not like to be cornered and made to tell the truth. Skewness and kurtosis are even worse. You need thousands of data to get a good grip on those parameters.

For an article I was doing, I created a 20000 shot simulation. With that, I got a very good estimate of the group size distribution. It looks a lot like the distribution of standard deviations: a normal distribution that has been pushed to the left.
Out of curiosity, I just coded up a similar simulation using 100,000 shots divided into 5-shot groups. The individual shot POI was modelled using a Gaussian distribution. The group size, when defined as the maximum distance between two shots in a group, looked as you described with a skewness of ~0.41. Interestingly, when group size is defined as the mean distance between pairs of shots in a group, the distribution is more normal with skewness of ~0.28.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Ever weigh all the bullets in a box of components? Boy I sure hope that press operator down at Sierra bullets was having a good day. How about those benchrest primers? Equal amounts of compound? Neck tension all the same? Making consistent ammo is one thing. Then you have to shoot it, and shooting heats things up. It's a mission of controlling variation

That was my point earlier, was this custom loaded ammo where the bullets were sorted by weight, diameter, length and brass sorted, etc or was this something like factory ammo, be it Lake City (since this was for the government) or off the shelf ammo like Remington or Winchester?
All of that plays into the data that the test produces. He did not say how they did it and maybe each round was produced to BR standards. I guess I would like to know a little more about how the test was done just to get a clearer picture.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by mathman
Check out the discussion between 12:30 and 17:00 or so.

If you feel qualified to argue, have at it. grin

I understand and agree with statistical deviations in group size with any given load, but I have seen some threads interpreting Bryan’s analysis as meaning load development is futile and they’ll all shoot the same with a big enough sample size. My own experience has shown me that that is not true. You CAN develop a load that averages better than another, but there will always be a range of group sizes with any given load.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Everybody be careful about which SD is being considered at a given time. There's velocity SD and group size SD.

So how many groups to get an accurate group SD? I may be wrong, but for me to get a fairly accurate velocity SD is 30-50 shots. So for group SD I would think to be fairly accurate minimum of 10 groups, preferably twice that. Again most won’t go to those lengths.
30+ groups.

Your intuition is about right. Starting from a baseline of 3 5-shot groups giving you your long term precision within +/- 25%, going to 12 groups gets you to +/- 12.5%, and 48 groups gets you to +/- 6.25%. Quadruple the number of samples to halve the error. It gets out of hand in a hurry.

As you say, most people aren't going to go to those lengths.

I can tell you, I’m not.

Wearing barrels out shooting groups is a sport I just don’t understand. I shoot stuff, and a group only tells me where the center of my poa is when I leave the house…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Everybody be careful about which SD is being considered at a given time. There's velocity SD and group size SD.

So how many groups to get an accurate group SD? I may be wrong, but for me to get a fairly accurate velocity SD is 30-50 shots. So for group SD I would think to be fairly accurate minimum of 10 groups, preferably twice that. Again most won’t go to those lengths.
30+ groups.

Your intuition is about right. Starting from a baseline of 3 5-shot groups giving you your long term precision within +/- 25%, going to 12 groups gets you to +/- 12.5%, and 48 groups gets you to +/- 6.25%. Quadruple the number of samples to halve the error. It gets out of hand in a hurry.

As you say, most people aren't going to go to those lengths.

I can tell you, I’m not.

Wearing barrels out shooting groups is a sport I just don’t understand. I shoot stuff, and a group only tells me where the center of my poa is when I leave the house…

You and me both. A colossal waste of time in my world.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Check out the discussion between 12:30 and 17:00 or so.

If you feel qualified to argue, have at it. grin

I understand and agree with statistical deviations in group size with any given load, but I have seen some threads interpreting Bryan’s analysis as meaning load development is futile and they’ll all shoot the same with a big enough sample size. My own experience has shown me that that is not true. You CAN develop a load that averages better than another, but there will always be a range of group sizes with any given load.

John
John,

Agreed. Bryan mentioned a typical SD of 30% of the mean group size. The absolute mean and SD will vary with different loads and rifles. His point was definitely not that load development doesn’t matter.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
denton,

Out of curiosity, I just coded up a similar simulation using 100,000 shots divided into 5-shot groups. The individual shot POI was modelled using a Gaussian distribution. The group size, when defined as the maximum distance between two shots in a group, looked as you described with a skewness of ~0.41. Interestingly, when group size is defined as the mean distance between pairs of shots in a group, the distribution is more normal with skewness of ~0.28.

Wow! Someone as curious as I am. Well, maybe more curious, since you took it to 100K, and I only did 20K.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Wow! Someone as curious as I am. Well, maybe more curious, since you took it to 100K, and I only did 20K.
Haha, well going from 20k to 100k was as simple as 3 key strokes, so I'm not sure it says much about the relative curiosity. grin

I'm seeing some very interesting results, however, and am now running a simulation using 1M shots for both 5-shot groups and 10-shot groups, using both definitions of group dispersion (distance between two furthest shots, and mean distance between all pairs of shots).

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Haha, well going from 20k to 100k was as simple as 3 key strokes, so I'm not sure it says much about the relative curiosity. grin

I'm seeing some very interesting results, however, and am now running a simulation using 1M shots for both 5-shot groups and 10-shot groups, using both definitions of group dispersion (distance between two furthest shots, and mean distance between all pairs of shots).

While you are at it, you might try running 3, 4 and 7 shot groups. That will let you compare average group sizes for different numbers of shots. I published my results a few years ago, and it would be cool to have the results duplicated.

The stats for group size are nasty. I couldn't see any way to do it except by simulation, as you have done. When the going gets tough, the tough resort to simulation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While you are at it, you might try running 3, 4 and 7 shot groups. That will let you compare average group sizes for different numbers of shots. I published my results a few years ago, and it would be cool to have the results duplicated.

The stats for group size are nasty. I couldn't see any way to do it except by simulation, as you have done. When the going gets tough, the tough resort to simulation.

That’s funny, true but funny. 👍

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Haha, very true.

Where are your results published?

I'm already seeing some interesting results and will comment more later.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Haha, very true.

Where are your results published?

I'm already seeing some interesting results and will comment more later.

Varmint Hunter

Things are simpler if you simply worry about how far each shot is from the center of the group, but that is more complex than anyone is going to do in the field. For groups with 5 shots, group size has practically all the statistical strength of standard deviation.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
The assumption that's being made here is that the cross hairs are, or were in the center of the group for each shot. What we're contending with here, as you know, are two systems of variation, or noise. There is the variation of the reticle about the target, and the variation of impacts about the reticle. Strangely we tend to blame both systems on the later while suffering from the inability to address the variation of the former. On the mentioned test platform above an 8x32 power Nikon scope is the sight. At 100 yards I can still see slight movements in the reticle about the target. I don't think it's fair to the ammunition to go ape crazy on gaussian distributions for load worthiness estimation when the launching pad is adding considerable noise. I also don't think 3 standard deviations, or 30% scatter is true for all guns and shooters. For a very accurate BR rifle I doubt the competitors would find that amount of variation acceptable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very informative video; thanks for posting Mathman!
One takeaway I found useful is that I may start testing primers earlier in my load development. Also the results of Bryan's testing of annealing wasn't what I would have suspected.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Earth to Jordan Smith: Come baaaaaaack, come baaaaaaaaaack !!!!
grin

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Using 1M shots was taking too long for the simulation to run. grin

Using 100k shots (20k groups of 5 shots), a couple of interesting observations emerged:

- Using 30% standard deviation in individual shot POI, the mean group size is 0.92 MOA and the SD in group size using 5-shot groups is 0.25 MOA. Smallest group is 0.2 MOA, largest is 2.2 MOA. When sampling group size of 5-shot groups, the data distribution looks very close to a normal distribution (as if the CLT applied here *grin*), but with a slight offset to the left (skewness of 0.39) and a slightly prolonged right tail (kurtosis of 0.20). Interestingly, when group size is defined as the mean distance between pairs of shots within the group, and the group size sampled, the data is distributed much more normally, with skewness of only 0.30 and kurtosis of 0.06.

- Using 10-shot groups (10k groups of 10 shots each), the mean group size is 1.14 MOA and SD is 0.23 MOA. Smallest group is 0.40 MOA and the largest is 2.32 MOA. The distribution of group size using 10-shot groups shows a larger shift to the left and longer right tail, with skewness of 0.41 and kurtosis of 0.27. The sampled mean distance between pairs of shots using 10-shot groups follows a normal distribution very closely, with skewness of 0.15 and kurtosis of -0.07 (the longer tail is on the left side now). This implies that the mean distance between shots in a group does seem to follow a Gaussian distribution when sample size is large enough.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When Brian stated that his F Class rifle that he shoots .6 moa with won him number 3 in the world I new I was listening to one of few men who say it how it is! Its funny how many people never count fliers.

The fact is a rifle only shoots as well as it does on its worst day and that's how I have always approached it. The worst day is part of the statistical evidence. A true .6 moa rifle will shoot 6" groups at 1000 yards on a bad day! That's impressive IME. If more people were honest with themselves there abilities would for a certainty be inspired to improve.

That's basically what my takeaway was

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 74 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.