Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by DubThomas
Looking for a new lease. I got off mine in Val Verde County after the end of the season. It got too expensive and all I was killing was hogs. Damned things were running rampant all over the ranch. It affected the deer hunting for sure. I killed decent 9, but the ranch capable of much better. Feeding corn and protein all year didn't seem to help much though. Other than having fat hogs...

It was bad all over Texas. We had a monster acorn and pecan crop. I don’t know what happened to our pig population, but most of them disappeared.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta place to hunt, it's just not a lease. Neighbor gives me access.
It's sort of a weird setup.
It's 340 acres of wide open pasture and wheat field.
The south side butts up against a river bottom.
Along that fence, the landowner fenced off about 2.5 acres. I set a box blind inside the fenced off area, set up a feeder and plant a food plot.
Deer come up out of the river bottom. I kill deer every year. This year, due to my own ignorance, I missed a big old fat doe! 😖 Took a nice buck there in 2018.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Looking for a new lease. I got off mine in Val Verde County after the end of the season. It got too expensive and all I was killing was hogs. Damned things were running rampant all over the ranch. It affected the deer hunting for sure. I killed decent 9, but the ranch capable of much better. Feeding corn and protein all year didn't seem to help much though. Other than having fat hogs...

It was bad all over Texas. We had a monster acorn and pecan crop. I don’t know what happened to our pig population, but most of them disappeared.

They were like the deer. They weren't lost, they just didn't have to go far for cover for feed and water.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Muzzle loader mule deer in SW Kansas.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Our lease is in arbitration. 4 heirs already have half of what they’ll get on a 320 acre farm but can’t agree on who gets what of the rest. Actually it’s more like 1 of them can’t agree. Executor thought he laid out a fair plan a year ago but you know how that goes. Supposedly this spring the case comes up. We have been able to hunt 2 of the shares along with the contested area for the past 4 years IIRC but that could get cut drastically. So regardless of how the case shakes out I need to be finding some more land.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Would like to place a box blind in a new location on my property. However, the cost of doing anything right now is ludicrous. I bought a Muddy blind a couple years ago and it was the most overrated POS for the price. IT leaks and the walls have bowed in. I'm thinking about building something this go round.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Same chunk of public I’ve hunted since 2012, 2016 excepted. There are deer to be had without too much trouble, and pressure is generally light, especially for a spot so close to a town.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My plan every year is to shoot a doe in early season, then hold out for a big boy.
The reality is, I don't shoot a doe early because I don't want to scare the big boy that could be following her, then I end up shooting the first 8 point that walks by and have to hunt like crazy to find a doe late season. crazy laugh

I do have a new box blind to put up behind the house this year.

Last edited by Teeder; 01/20/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Move a couple of stands. Cut out shooting lanes (a never ending job). Repair winches (we have I think 21 on the place) Work on pickups, gators, side by sides, 4 wheelers, etc............... It never ends but is enjoyable in its own way. Only 8 1/2 months till season starts. Got to get after it.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgot to add.....KILL ARMADILLOS. they are taking over the place. Ranch hands killed 21 one day and 19 the next and they were not hunting them. Just doing their regular work. We all carry 22's and shoot them on sight but they keep increasing every year.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

They were like the deer. They weren't lost, they just didn't have to go far for cover for feed and water.

Maybe but no rooting, places where they go under fences are un disturbed. Hog wallows not used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to shoot them dead, no changes needed.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My plan is to shoot deer. Several of them. It's been working for near 50 years.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Forgot to add.....KILL ARMADILLOS. they are taking over the place. Ranch hands killed 21 one day and 19 the next and they were not hunting them. Just doing their regular work. We all carry 22's and shoot them on sight but they keep increasing every year.

I killed 15 this summer, bastards sure mess up a yard

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by travelingman1

I killed 15 this summer, bastards sure mess up a yard

Hunting in the dry woods they sound like a flock of turkeys coming in. That or rolling a bowling ball through a foot of potato chips.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Giving more serious thought to doing more ground blind hunting. I like the flexibilty......

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Planting more trees
Hanging more stands and cams
Expanding plots to skid roads from recent logging on our place in PA

Going back to MO… tweaking stands in April replacing camera batteries. Meeting with farmer to arrange plots.

Going to be a fun year again

Hunt...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Resurrecting plans of a cancelled hunt last year & headed for the Allegheny NF to poke around. Maybe drift into Kentucky a bit. Looking for a little place to escape the worst of VT winters & get into some decent hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going to try to kill a deer with a bolt action 44 mag in the goofy straight-wall regulated southern part of the state

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot a pronghorn in WY and a couple of whitetail does here in TX.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 22kHornet, 224th, 53 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,542
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.