24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Eugene Burton Eli lands an airplane on a ship.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/18-january-1911/

This is the plane landing, the prop is in back. Arresting hook to catch on ropes between pairs of sandbags “precisely weighed so that the Curtis would not slew to one side” 🙂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And now we have thousands of belly button pilots!

Seriously, every step in aviation has had a first step, and this was one was quite remarkable. 8 years after Wilbur and Orville leaped into the sky. 36 years later we went supersonic....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nother shot from the previous November (1910), taking off from a ship.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Burton_Ely

Sadly, Mr Ely crashed on 10/19/2011 when he failed to pull out of a dive in time, jumped free of the wreck, died shortly thereafter

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I often think about the fact that my grandfather, when he was alive, had seen man go from the first flight at Kitty Hawk to men walking on the moon. If you think about that, it is almost incomrehensible for that much technology advancement in that little time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Sadly, Mr Ely crashed on 10/19/2011 when he failed to pull out of a dive in time, jumped free of the wreck, died shortly thereafter
Damn that's purty awesome exactly 100years after he died he did the exact same thing and died again. NOW I don't care who you are, that's accomplishing something!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
My hat is off to the guys who fought the enemy, fatigue, damage, and wounds to successfully land a crippled plane in WWII.

Amazing.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deltakid
I often think about the fact that my grandfather, when he was alive, had seen man go from the first flight at Kitty Hawk to men walking on the moon. If you think about that, it is almost incomrehensible for that much technology advancement in that little time.
Amazing !

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I believe he died in 1911, Birdy. Got away from the wreck and died of a broken neck.

Retired cat herder.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by deltakid
I, too, have often thought about the technological changes my grandfather saw in his lifetime.
He was born in 1856 and died in 1955.
A short list:
trains, electricity, lightbulbs, indoor plumbing, toilet paper, horseless carriages, Wright bros first flight, radio, television, atomic bombs, super sonic jets.....

Simply mind blowing and all within the lifetime of a single generation.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My wife's grandmother moved to MT from CO in a horse drawn Conestoga. She flew for the first time in 1978, to Alaska from Miles City in a jet (2 actually) passenger plane, to our wedding.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any and all interested in Naval Aviation, you owe it to yourself to visit the museum at NAS Pensacola.. Truly an amazing place.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The first guy to perform a “proof of concept” about carrier aviation. It’s one thing to propose something and talk about it; it’s another thing to take bull by the horns and actually do it for the first time. 🫡

Jorge is right about the museum at NAS Pensacola.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,163
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.