Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by earlybrd
What’s wrong with a 30-30?

It’s not legal to hunt with in like five states.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it's a pretty neat cartridge honestly. The numbers match or exceed the old 35 Remington which is a fantastic hunting round for its purposes. I think Remington did a decent job designing it, it can be formed from simple .30-30 brass blown out and trimmed down. Something the .35 Remington can't do. For this I will give the .360 a leg up. Factory brass or not, at least you can make it from something common. Can't say the same for my .35 Rem unfortunately, and good luck finding .35 Rem brass.

If Marlin makes it in the new 336 I will be a buyer.

Last edited by GuideGun; 01/18/23.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Remington's response to Winchester's .350 Legend?
Except Winchester will actually ensure it sticks around with sufficient rifles and the ammo is already everywhere. Sad, but I wouldn't trust Remington at all on either count.
Yep. Just like they did the 17 WSM

LMAO
Plenty of that next to the WSSM's on the shelf.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I would buy a new 336 if Marlin chambers it. I’m hunting more and more with levers. I’ve got just about every caliber that readily available. That would be a new one and it’s easy to make cases and bullets are plentiful even if Remington doesn’t support it that well.

I'm in the same boat, though I could do a single shot in one. Rimmed cartridges and single shots go together.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It will also be a better platform for launching cast bullets.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Remington's response to Winchester's .350 Legend?
Except Winchester will actually ensure it sticks around with sufficient rifles and the ammo is already everywhere. Sad, but I wouldn't trust Remington at all on either count.
Yep. Just like they did the 17 WSM

LMAO
Plenty of that next to the WSSM's on the shelf.
But no Winchester or Browning rifles besides a single shot , genius

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
Originally Posted by earlybrd
What’s wrong with a 30-30?

It’s not legal to hunt with in like five states.

And parts of Pennsylvania

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reading is hard for a lot of folks. It’s a pretty cool round for deer in straight wall areas. Lots of guys can’t handle or don’t want the 444 or 450 Marlin, or a hot 45-70. Might be a lot of fun in a Ruger built 336.

The 350 Legend is a helluva deer killer. Many friends bought them for our special regulations areas and now use them statewide. Kind of going full circle ballistically from where we started as kids.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kauger Arms did a lot of testing using straight walled cartridges. The .444 out preformed them all in custom built bolt guns. Pretty much a 400 to 500yd deer round in the right rifle and scope combo.

Life is good live it while you can.
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This has nothing to do with a 360 vs 30-30 or any other necked round.

There seems to be a nationwide trend to now allow straight walled cases to be used where only traditionally slugs or muzzleloaders were allowed before. More than likely, this is to get hunter interest back up. Most states are losing hunters by the thousands. That means less licenses sold.

I hunted with a slug gun for years and bought many. The farthest I felt comfortable shooting one was 100 yards. I would take a straight walled case any day over any slug gun if I could. Now a lot of hunters are doing just that since it’s legal.

The absolute best places to hunt deer in Michigan are in these urban and agricultural areas of southern Michigan. Lots of giants live there. An extra 100 yards to shoot farther is a huge advantage in you hunt in an area like this. My gut tells me that a pile of slug guns are available in southern MI gun stores right now.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heaven forbid Henry or anyone else make a lever gun in 357 Max. Nahh, let's make a whole new cartridge.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Heaven forbid Henry or anyone else make a lever gun in 357 Max. Nahh, let's make a whole new cartridge.

I get it... but it's a 40 year old cartridge that virtually no one outside of forums like this or gun nuts know, so I'm assuming they wanted a PR splash with something new. (And it doesn't seem nearly as powerful with 200 grain bullets.)

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I get it... but it's a 40 year old cartridge that virtually no one outside of forums like this or gun nuts know, so I'm assuming they wanted a PR splash with something new. (And it doesn't seem nearly as powerful with 200 grain bullets.)

Yep - all about the Benjamins’ - if it was based on logic they would just legalize the .35 Remington (or just use the .357 Maximum) but the powers that be and the “average” hunter wouldn’t be able to figure that one out. It’s sad really - just very, very sad!!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 01/19/23.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm a big fan of the 35 Rem for stillhinting NE big woods whitetails. In a Marlin 336 or Rem 760, it's about perfect.

I'm intrigued by the new 360 Buck Hammer round, with that same big .358 frontal mass. It's got a bit more juice than the 35 Rem, which just might make it perfecter.
If I could buy it in a Marlin or Remington of their former quality, I might jump. I don't see that happening, though.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by PennDog

Yep - all about the Benjamins’ - if it was based on logic they would just legalize the .35 Remington (or just use the .357 Maximum) but the powers that be and the “average” hunter wouldn’t be able to figure that one out. It’s sad really - just very, very sad!!

PennDog

It is pretty much about the Benjamins. Look at the companies that are hunting and gun related that are no longer around because they did not have enough Benjamins. The 360 is coming out to fill the need for a straight wall cartridge that the 35 Rem does not fit legally. If you want a new cartridge, and manufacturers supply it, and that gets more hunters afield, and continues to support our Constitutional rights...... I am all in favor of it.

For info, I use 30-06, .243, .357, 38 sple,.380, 12 ga for most needs. Will I buy a new whiz bang cartridge? Maybe, but give it a chance.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hikerbum

PennDog

It is pretty much about the Benjamins. Look at the companies that are hunting and gun related that are no longer around because they did not have enough Benjamins. The 360 is coming out to fill the need for a straight wall cartridge that the 35 Rem does not fit legally. If you want a new cartridge, and manufacturers supply it, and that gets more hunters afield, and continues to support our Constitutional rights...... I am all in favor of it.

For info, I use 30-06, .243, .357, 38 sple,.380, 12 ga for most needs. Will I buy a new whiz bang cartridge? Maybe, but give it a chance.
I think a lot of folks -- myself included -- agree that it's good if it fills a genuine niche. I just have zero faith that Remington won't screw it up. Maybe Henry keeps them on the straight and narrow. We'll see.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by hikerbum

PennDog

I think a lot of folks -- myself included -- agree that it's good if it fills a genuine niche. I just have zero faith that Remington won't screw it up. Maybe Henry keeps them on the straight and narrow. We'll see.

Remember that Remington is not the old Remington. I wish them great success. I encourage everyone to support all firearm and ammo manufacturers. This includes the local small guns shops......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington is a new company. Past track record really does not matter. The fact of the matter is that if enough shooters buy a rifle in 360BH, then it will be supported. If not, it will go away. It is just business.

You guys whine about things not being made in America then complain about products that are made here.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
While philosophically I dislike having guns/ammo trends dictated by legislatures, here is one incidence where it did some good in a backhanded way: it fostered some "outside the box" thinking on the part of gun designers/makers, ammo companies, and hunters. Could you picture those three entities thinking about something like the Legend and now the Buckhammer 20 years, or even 10 years ago? And now embracing them? It took government decree to get things moving, and not we hidebound sticks-in-the-mud. And also, for once a class of cartridge came into being driven not by "Western standards" but rather by/for Eastern woods hunters (who make up about half or more of total American hunters). We here aren't best served by high velocity long range gizmos (although some misguided souls think otherwise)!

It's a shame the .357 Maxi didn't catch on in this role more than it has. It's a great cartridge that fights way outside its weight class, in a rifle. (I load mine nowhere near max, but out of my 26" barrel I'm getting 1900 fps/1600ft.lbs. with a 200 grain soft cast bullet which puts it squarely in competition with the .35 Remington when it's launched with a short carbine barrel. I could go quite a bit hotter but choose not to out of respect for my shoulder and a 6 pound rifle.) Lack of respect/popularity for the cartridge is probably a holdover from the bad press it got 40 years ago with it's poorly thought out vehicles of choice. This new round, along with the ballistic twin to the Maxi - the Legend - has it in its power to change that, and the Maxi will continue running ahead shouting "follow me!"

Personally I probably won't buy a lever gun Buckhammer, nor will I buy a bolt or semi-auto Legend. I don't need either of those contraptions in my life anymore. The little hunting I do here in MD's "straight wall zone" is easily covered by my custom Martini .357 Maxi (thankfully the zones I mainly hunt in are immune from such regulation). But, I'm intrigued a bit by the BH and if BrowWinMiroku brought it out in their modern Low Wall single shot I may well reach for my wallet - but not as a hunting rifle, rather as another new toy to play with at the range. It looks to be a nigh ideal cast bullet launcher. But then again, so is the Maximum.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Remington is a new company. Past track record really does not matter. The fact of the matter is that if enough shooters buy a rifle in 360BH, then it will be supported. If not, it will go away. It is just business.

You guys whine about things not being made in America then complain about products that are made here.

The average guy complaining on the Fire is 105 years old.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.